Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fav song ever

Bluesape

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't pick my favorite song ever, but if I could, Georgia would be right at or near the top of the list. And, so would Ray Charles! (and Willie Nelson does a nice job with it too!). The song dates back to 1931 and since I like shopping the 30's for material, I'll see if I can sing it and put it on my list...Nice job BluesApe! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Carmichael's done a lot of nice tunes and Georgia's one of his best for sure.

But for the moment, Leon Redbone's rendition of his "Lazybones" just a wee bit edges out over it.

But lucky for y'all, I'll not attempt to sing "Georgia" and post it ANYwhere it could be seen and heard. It'd probably cause the state to try and secede all over again! :D

But I have to say.....

You sure went APE on that tune, Blues! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Agree Fred Misty is a fine song. I need to try to learn it. Started once in late 70's but got sidetracked. I am not in the same class as a player many of you are but with some work should get close enough for me to enjoy. Jim

Jim,

There are a vast number of transcriptions available. Some are more accessible than others. For example, Robert B. Yelin's arrangement in his book Jazz Standards is very difficult.

It's a challenging tune to play, but wonderful to play when you finally get it "under your fingers".

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Regards.

If you play cool, you are cool.

My favorite song ever seems to hold up in my mind even after all of these years.

Crossroads by The Cream on the Wheels Of Fire Album. I still listen to it regularly.

I have told this story before; On our way to visit friends in Cherry Hill Area of New Jersey, a friend of mine, the late Jay Suhm pulled out these pills that he had in a case in his pocket, he said, and I quote; "This is Owsley" you want to do some, So I dropped my first hit of acid on the way up to the house we were traveling to. After a bit I began peeking, and I was a little disturbed by the consciousness change, Jay who was a merry prankster (not of the famous group) came up behind me and clapped a set of earphones on my head. On the stereo, was Crossroads, I never heard music like that before in my life, it had motion, it actually moved like the title of the album Wheels Of Fire insinuated. From that day on I listened to that tune over and over. And later on once I was able to copy those licks, I never tried, I wanted the magic of that tune to stay magical, if I learned it then the magic would disappear. To this day that is the one Cream Tune I never learned. The next day after the first acid trip Jay Suhm came to my house with a guitar and taught me Sunshine Of Your Love by the Cream, I was hooked on guitar from that day on........

One song that I play just about every time I pickup the guitar since 1963 is Sleep Walk and a close second is PipeLine and a third show horse is Honky Tonk (guitar boogie). I'm still working on them as a life long work in progress. My versions are not from the original but are original as you won't hear most of what I do on the record(s). I get the gist of the song and then improvise. Over the years the improvisation becomes my version and gets into my memory banks. Another song that has not come in under the wire is Apache. But, it has a good start and has stayed with me forever...I think my favorite will be Apache some day, but for now I guess I'll have to go with Sleep Walk.

Back in my 3 month lesson phase, my jazz teacher had three standards that he showed me note for note after he practiced and arranged them and they were Little Rock Get Away, Tenderly, and yes you guessed it Brother Fred: Misty. From these I could try my improvisation after learning the songs if I wanted to. And I did improvise to Misty on the side without telling my teacher. He came up to my neck of the woods about 6months after I had moved away and our 1st gig was at a musical campout down by the river. When he started playing Misty, he looked over and said take it...I started playing it the way he showed me but on the second go around I went into my improv (very nervous to play it in front of him for the 1st time with an audience LOL!)...He loved it and gave me some great kudos, I have never played it since as it meant so much to both of us. He would never teach me his version of I Left My Heart In San Francisco as it meant too much to him, so I had to pick it out for myself years later LOL! It's one of those songs I place at the top of my list too! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

By now, y'all know I have a veritable cornucopia of nieces and nephews. I love them all dearly and equally.

I find music(for ME at least) to be like that. I find it hard to go around calling myself a music "lover", and then singling out just one particular song or piece of music I love more than ALL the others.

DBM: You seem to have lucked out! I've had an opposite experience under a similar circumstance.

At my ex's brother's "house warming" party back in the late '70's, and under the influence of some VERY good mescaline, he spun an LP I at the time thought was OUTA SIGHT! I asked him, "Who IS that? I GOTTA get that album!" He told me and I scribbled it down. Next day(after the mesc wore off) I dashed down to HARMONY HOUSE( a premier record store chain 'round here back then) and wasted money on a URIAH HEEP album that when listned to "straight" turned out to be just GOD AWFUL! Wound up giving it away to the kid across the street who simply used it as a frisbee. :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

DBM: You seem to have lucked out! I've had an opposite experience under a similar circumstance.

At my ex's brother's "house warming" party back in the late '70's, and under the influence of some VERY good mescaline, he spun an LP I at the time thought was OUTA SIGHT! I asked him, "Who IS that? I GOTTA get that album!" He told me and I scribbled it down. Next day(after the mesc wore off) I dashed down to HARMONY HOUSE( a premier record store chain 'round here back then) and wasted money on a URIAH HEEP album that when listned to "straight" turned out to be just GOD AWFUL! Wound up giving it away to the kid across the street who simply used it as a frisbee. :D

Whitefang

Yeah I never got into Uriah Heep, whether I was out there, or in one of my very rare non out there days. Oh my my, I had more fun back then than any man should have had. (I lived on a resort island, so there was a party every night 24-7-365 at somebody's house or at the local gin mills)

• 2 weeks later...
Favorite song? Love just about anything with a guitar on it. but whenever I hear THIS one, I feel like my CDs/Records are just gonna melt:

Good call. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived