Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: secure parking in San Francisco?

I got off the phone with the hotel we are staying at a short while ago, and the guy said that there has been "a siege of break-ins" in San Francisco, with many cars being broken into regularly. He said that this included the open lot across the street from the hotel. There is a "secure" lot nearby, Sutter Garage, but the guy said that this really isn't all that much safer either. Then he emphasized again that there have been "a rash of break-ins" in their lot recently.

Anybody have any suggestions for what to do? Good safe place to park? Rent a car? What?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of things you can do to reduce the odds of a break-in:

- Park in a spot visible to a busy road and under a light

- Of course, leave no valuables in the car

- Park next to nicer cars

- Drive/Rent a cheap/older model car

- Pay a homeless guy to camp out next to your car (don't laugh -- that's what a lot did in Miami next to the cruise port. The homeless get a place to camp out and the lot has nighttime security. Parked there many times for 7-day cruises and never had an issues).

I am already driving a 13 year old car with scratches and dents. Hey, I use mine on a lot of dirt roads. :D

The parking lot across the street seems very open and visible, but apparently that doesn't stop anyone from breaking in. Who knows. I'll try and park next to Jaguars and see where that gets me.

I got off the phone with the hotel we are staying at a short while ago, and the guy said that there has been "a siege of break-ins" in San Francisco, with many cars being broken into regularly. He said that this included the open lot across the street from the hotel. There is a "secure" lot nearby, Sutter Garage, but the guy said that this really isn't all that much safer either. Then he emphasized again that there have been "a rash of break-ins" in their lot recently.

Anybody have any suggestions for what to do? Good safe place to park? Rent a car? What?

It has gotten epidemic. I assume you are driving up ?

why not rent a car ? I see no reason to risk a nice car just to park near a downtown SF hotel.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

We are driving up, stopping off about two hours' south for a couple of days, then driving up to SF afterward to meet my girlfriend's family.

And yeah, I'm thinking of renting a car at this point, thanks....not that my car is nice. I drive it on dirt roads often, and it's got a good amount of scratches. But I try and take care of it and keep it running and not have it smashed up, either. Thanks.

I am already driving a 13 year old car with scratches and dents. Hey, I use mine on a lot of dirt roads. :D

The parking lot across the street seems very open and visible, but apparently that doesn't stop anyone from breaking in. Who knows. I'll try and park next to Jaguars and see where that gets me.

Yes never be the most attractive target.

My brother never kept ANYTHING in his car -- nothing -- and he would just leave it unlocked. His reasoning was if someone wanted to get in they could, but at least he wouldn't have to deal with a broken window.

Your other option is to sleep in the car and save on the hotel. :laugh:

It's true that there have been lots of car break-ins in SF. It seems to have become the preferred method of getting "stuff." That said, there's only so much you can do about it. But driving a 13 year old car with scratches and dents is a good start. Also parking next to a much nicer car. Be sure not to leave ANYTHING in the car, even in the trunk or locked glove box. Thieves break out a window and go through everything. You might consider leaving the door unlocked or a window cracked open so they don't have to break a window. Still, I think the pattern is to break the window first without even trying to get in through an unlocked door or open window. I don't think a rental car is a good solution unless you pay extra for zero deductible insurance at outrageous rates. Good luck.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I removed a bunch of stuff from the car today in case I still decide to take it. I am interested in getting some sort of security parking somewhere in or even near SF.

I don't really need the car for about six days while in SF, and it becomes this liability while I am there due to the exorbitant cost of simply parking a vehicle as well as the threat of having my car ruined and my stuff ransacked.

I removed a bunch of stuff from the car today in case I still decide to take it. I am interested in getting some sort of security parking somewhere in or even near SF.

I don't really need the car for about six days while in SF, and it becomes this liability while I am there due to the exorbitant cost of simply parking a vehicle as well as the threat of having my car ruined and my stuff ransacked.

Parking in or near the City is going to be expensive. I was thinking Airport parking in San Bruno might be an option. A fun idea is to see if you can get long term parking in Sausalito or Tiburon and ferry back to the City.

[70's Songwriter]

Secure long-term parking in SF is going to be very expensive. You might look into a monthly parking rate in one of the private garages. Google parking apps in San Francisco. I use one to find parking, but just for a couple hours, not for several days.

GregC's suggestion of long term airport parking is a good solution. You can take a shuttle to a BART station and get into SF that way. There are a lot of commercial lots near the airport that will shuttle you to the airport terminal where you can get BART. I'm not sure what the daily rate is any more - probably $10-$15 - but it's certainly going to be cheaper than long term parking in SF. And there are no thieves breaking into cars in those lots.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

. There are a lot of commercial lots near the airport that will shuttle you to the airport terminal where you can get BART. I'm not sure what the daily rate is any more - probably $10-$15 - but it's certainly going to be cheaper than long term parking in SF. And there are no thieves breaking into cars in those lots.

Thats what I noticed. And I have parked in the LT lots in San Bruno a few times, car was there 1-2 weeks. Its no sure thing, but the druggies are too lazy to BART to SFO and catch a shuttle to the gated parking lot, try to get in, etc, etc. The targets of opportunity

abound on every street in the downtown area, Wharf, Ghiradeli, South Beach, etc.

[70's Songwriter]

Thanks. I am checking into this right now, arriving at a similar conclusion.

My luggage is lost as well, and I have been dealing with that, which has really pulled my attention away from doing this. I really really really really appreciate the suggestions, and wish I had checked back here sooner instead of circuitously arriving at a similar conclusion.

So probably not going to rent a car, and will seek long-term parking near the airport and use a combination of shuttle/BART to get to where we need to go in the city.

Thanks. I am checking into this right now, arriving at a similar conclusion. My luggage is lost as well, and I have been dealing with that, which has really pulled my attention away from doing this. I really really really really appreciate the suggestions, and wish I had checked back here sooner instead of circuitously arriving at a similar conclusion. So probably not going to rent a car, and will seek long-term parking near the airport and use a combination of shuttle/BART to get to where we need to go in the city.

don't be too tough on yourself. The car break ins hit a tipping point about 2 weeks ago as the local media then started talking it up. Given the tourist season kicks off Memorial Day weekend, I think the volume of cars is to tempting for the street druggies.

Just a few months ago, iPhones and iPads were being forcefully stolen from peoples hands as many walk with their heads down, staring at their devices.

This paints a poor photo about the City. But I think some planning and common sense mitigates criminal behavior.

[70's Songwriter]

Lost luggage too? What a drag ... so sorry.

I've been thinking about the long term parking near the airport and I think it's a stroke of genius that I will recommend to others in the future. There are private lots farther away from the "official" airport LT parking lot that will have lower rates. Who cares where it is, as long as you're not trying to catch a plane? They all will have a free shuttle to the airport terminal and you can take BART from there. A little googling is in order to find the best deal on airport parking.

GregC is right, the street thieves in downtown SF are not gonna take a trip out to the 'burbs to find cars to break into, especially in lighted lots with fences and gates and that are staffed with employees. The thieves in the 'burbs are knocking on the doors of houses to see if anybody's home and when there's no answer, they empty your home, not your car.

Eurowings lost my luggage, then apparently found it, forwarded it, and now it's been lost again. This has taken a lot of my time and resources, and still nothing. I'm totally aggravated. If I don't get it back, I am out some special items as well as out a LOT of money...and that's even if I get reimbursed to the fullest amount that international travel allows, which I believe is a little bit more than US$1700 currently.

I wish I had had one of those tracking devices on my luggage. Next time, I believe I will do that.

You can book on-line for reserved parking at various BART stations ($7.00/day). My girlfriend does it three times a year from Millbrae for a week at a time. No security problems so far.

https://www.select-a-spot.com/bart/reservations/facilities/?type=long_term

---------------------------

GSI DMC-122/Gemini, GEM RealPianio Pro2, 1960 Chickering upright, CPS SSV3, C2 (In Storage), Too Many Cables!

You can book on-line for reserved parking at various BART stations ($7.00/day). My girlfriend does it three times a year from Millbrae for a week at a time. No security problems so far.

https://www.select-a-spot.com/bart/reservations/facilities/?type=long_term

Not a BART fan here. I have had 2 securely locked bikes stolen at BART stations. Their video cams are a joke and do not work. The BART police are spread way to thin over the system and parking lots. The BART attendants look the other way on problems.

The druggies and thugs jump on BART trains from Oakland, Civic Center to check out their targets at other stations. The system has many problems and their is a usually a weekly story on something going down.

Maybe the Millbrae/Airport station is more secure . Its something to research.

[70's Songwriter]

Archived