Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Martha Argerich

Dave Bryce

I do my best to stay away from superlatives...but I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard a pianist who consistently knocks me out as much as Martha does.

[video:youtube]

The Allegro section at ~6:15 is particularly fun. :)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She is truly one of the greats, but she's not one of those pianists whose version of everything she performs is definitive. When I was at school I studied Chopin's 3rd Scherzo and I remember hearing Marta Argerich's recording and being shocked - she really spoiled it by playing too fast. I know these things are subjective but have a listen and you'd know what I mean.

Man, she just owns that thing. The Prokofiev Concerto No. 3 is such a staple of the repertoire that there are dozens of examples on YT by everybody from Van Cliburn to Lang Lang, as well as a number of others by herself. Evgeny Kissin's rendering is a nice contrast to Argerich, I think.

I have a recording of her doing the Prokofiev no.3 along with Ravel's piano concerto in G major with the Berlin Phil and Claudio Abbado. The Ravel performance is even better than the Prokofiev, IMO.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks for sharing. I "played" this movement for a performance final my junior year in college. Needless to say, it sucked by comparison. Her technique is amazing; so effortless and smooth. I used to feel like my fingers were going to fall off by the time I finished.

That's great. Haven't heard that before. I would say her performance of the Precipitato from the Prokofiev's Seventh sonata is as exciting or more so than anyone.

Also recently heard her doing the Chopin Preludes -- very restrained, in the sense that not sentimental, but also very moving and exposes to me the "factual" nature of these little pieces.

Outfarfuckingtastic! This music is so difficult to play, technically demanding but also harmonically demanding. Constantly unexpected chord structures and constant key morphing, phrase to phrase, sometimes halfway through a phrase. Once you've learned the composer's maniacal machinations - then you need to work out the motor memory to play these patterns, and there's no point in reading it after you've figured it out because the shite pushes the envelope on what's readable - you really have to memorize as you go to execute with this technical proficiency. Gifted to say the least.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Martha Argerich was the first person who changed my mind about Tchaikovsky's first piano concerto, which I had always assumed was vulgar but now realize ("now" meaning since first hearing Argerich play it almost 30 years ago :-)) is simply an extremely difficult piece to properly capture its immense emotional and dynamic range.

I have never heard her play anything that didn't reek of passion and commitment. Sometimes I wonder about her interpretations, but I never have reason to disrespect the choices she makes. If anything, they always shed new light and perspective on a familiar work. And it's interesting that she tends to never approach the same work the same way twice either.

Argerich is unquestionably in my list of top ten favourite pianists of all time. I hope to see her live some day. Sometimes I forget that I haven't, as her live recordings -- and even her studio recordings -- are so riveting and present.

So glad that you have had a chance to discover her amazing musicianship, Dave!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Argerich is unquestionably in my list of top ten favourite pianists of all time. I hope to see her live some day.

I hadn't thought about ranking her among the all-time great legit players, but you're probably right. AFAIK, she's still performing. To hear her perform primarily solo piano works would be well worth eating ramen for six months or so. I wouldn't know if she's better than anybody else at anything in particular, but she kind of has her own "sound," which is to me a good thing.

I have never heard her play anything that didn't reek of passion and commitment. Sometimes I wonder about her interpretations, but I never have reason to disrespect the choices she makes. If anything, they always shed new light and perspective on a familiar work. And it's interesting that she tends to never approach the same work the same way twice either

Perfect description. +20000

Archived