Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vr-09 strange behaviour

Piattica

I ask you, VR-09 user, if you find the same issue as mine.

I found this strange behaviour:

1) I created and saved a REGISTRATION with "Dreaming" sound from PAD family

2) I chose another REGISTRATION and I play

3) coming back to previous REGISTRATION, I hear another sound from PAD family but not Dreaming

To solve I already tried without success to:

- swich off and on

- initialize

- reload 1.03 firmware

- change REGISTRATION location

It happens also with other sounds from PAD family.

Who can help me to fix this issue? or suggest me some more tests?

VR-09, PX5S, VB3, MrRay, Gemini, K2500R, XStation

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to confirm, I've run into the same thing, just this week, in fact. In my case, I was trying to layer the Dreaming pad under a piano (which I saved as a registration), then switch to a clav sound, and back to the layer. When I switched back, it played a totally different pad. I was unable to find a workaround and ended up ditching the pad.

Nothing of any consequence yet. Just this yesterday:

"We are currently testing this out. Thank you for your email and we will get back to you once we confirm.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Roland Product Support"

This issue is not new and was reported to Roland tech support over a year ago. I provided them with a script to reproduce the bug which I personally validated on three different vr09 keyboards. I also offered to walk them through the process via phone. Eventually I received a response from tech support via email that they were unable to reproduce the error and suggested I send the hardware to them for testing (on my nickel). No thanks.

I tried for months to first work with tech support then to find a workaround to bypass the bug. I really wanted to like the keyboard (despite it's horrific action...) i could live with many of its quirks, but this bug which prevented me from accomplishing such a basic feature was just too much to ignore.

Four months after purchase, I returned it to the online retailer we all know and love (truly) for a full refund. They even payed return shipping.

My advice - learn to live with it or move on. Even if Roland actually admits to the bug, don't hold your breath waiting for an update. That ship sailed long ago.

I don't have high hopes for Roland fixing it, especially since the board's been out for a while now & they probably aren't devoting resources to it. I wasn't going to report it, but when Piattica also repro'd it, it seemed worth a shot. Didn't know you'd already reported it- thanks for the heads up on your experience!

All of the pads I've saved to registrations have been pretty much presets and layered with piano or EP's. I do not recall this swapped sound issue, but it has me intrigued. I've extensively modified one of the FX tones into swirly, burblely texture and have been lackadasically tweaking another into a barely passable (so far) bagpipe. I have a rare weekend off coming up and need to program a sitar so I'll see if there's a pad preset I can live without and try to report back my experience.

I just spent a few minutes (okay, an hour) fooling around with a couple of Pads and everything seems to work perfect on my machine. It is one from the first run (low serial number) but is running the latest 1.03 firmware.

StrPd1: Utilizing the iPad editor, I changed all three wave forms, messed with the filter and amp envelopes, added some slow filter LFO and ended up with a fairly big swooshing soundscape. Pressed and held a registration button for the WRITE display to pop up, renamed it Enorm Oh Pad, and pressed the "soft" WRITE button under the LCD marked SYNTH on the stencil. Went several registrations away played some layered piano/strings. Spun the dial back to my new pad and voila; there it is, in all its glory.

Dreaming: Unplugged the iPad, found another disposable registration, hit the PAD preset button, dialed down to Dreaming, changed the ADR and the Filter Resonance, switched out the FX to CHORUS and the Delay to TAPE, pressed and held the registration button for the display to enable write, renamed the registration and hit the WRITE button. Dialed to another registration and played a bit of honky tonk piano, dialed back to my DreamingSlow and there it is, edits and all.

I do not seem to be able to reproduce the glitchy bug of swapped pad sounds others have experienced with their registrations.

Thanks for testing, brenner13! If you have another minute, could you try this?

Save the "Dreaming" pad straight from the pad menu to a registration (without editing). Then go to a different registration, and back again to the saved "Dreaming" pad. That's all it takes for mine to fail. I'm running the latest firmware. (I was trying to layer the pad under a piano when I first encountered the bug, but that step is unnecessary in order to repro, at least on my machine).

Ah-HA!!! The bug: When a preset has been modified with the iPad and saved to a registration, apparently it gets locked in that altered state. My Str Pad preset is now stuck with the enhancements (or deficits) I've done to it even though it is recalled with factory settings when the preset button is pressed. Now as I attempt to save the factory sound to a new registration, it reverts to my mutation as soon as the registration button is pressed again.

However, since I only used the surface controls to modify the Dreaming preset, I was able to restore the factory settings to the registration simply by pressing the preset button, dialing up "Dreaming", and saving it again to a registration.

Perhaps those experiencing this bug have downloaded some of the other libraries from the Axiel site that have modified some of the presets?

One work-around I can think of is to bulk-save your registrations to a new, unused, freshly VR09-formatted thumb drive, then restorethe VR09 to factory settings. With firmware vers 1.03, Roland enabled the ability to load one registration at a time. It is very time consuming, but probably best to keep a log of your registrations and through trial and error, might find that one registration that mucked up your favorite Pad preset.

I've got to go do that now so I can have that smooth factory Str Pad back as it is used in a couple of my gig registrations. ERG!

edit: I still think it best for me to have different libraries of registrations on different thumbdrives because of this overwriting bug.

I sure do wish the iPad app had a library function to save and load registrations, but apparently is is but a pipe dream.

"We are currently testing this out. Thank you for your email and we will get back to you once we confirm.

Thank you

Kind regards,

Roland Product Support"

do not worry

they are still checking...

:-)

Not trying to hijack this thread but I've encountered another strange behavior & checking to see if anyone else has also. When playing an SMF if I change registrations the tempo changes every time. It even happened last night when I was resetting the same registration. I was changing different parameters on a Rhodes sound & got too far out of whack so I rehit the regisrtation button. Well, then it was the tempo's turn to go (way) out of whack. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks.

Registrations are snap shots of the whole status of the board...last presets played under each instrument button, effects' settings, rhythm selections, and other things like tempo that are not locked by the global settings such as pedal assignments. So if there are different registrations to be used with the same SMF, be sure to set the tempo on those registrations and resave them before hand. I think most will agree that Roland engineers made strange design choices with this board.

Registrations are snap shots of the whole status of the board...last presets played under each instrument button, effects' settings, rhythm selections, and other things like tempo that are not locked by the global settings such as pedal assignments. So if there are different registrations to be used with the same SMF, be sure to set the tempo on those registrations and resave them before hand. I think most will agree that Roland engineers made strange design choices with this board.

Great to know - Thanks!! I'm back on the"house" gig tonight but will try that this week when I set up at home.Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you

Kind regards,

Roland Product Support"

Roland people are still studying and analysing...

In Italy a technician of Roland told me that he found same problem with another brand new VR09 but asked me to send back the keyboard for a depth analysis

It is probably not a bug, just the quirky design. It seems to me like your Dreaming preset has been modified perhaps on a set of registrations that have been downloaded from the Axial site or deep edits of the offending presets have occurred utilizing the iPad editor. Edited presets are now stuck in that new altered form so that when one is saved to a registration, it reverts to the modified version as soon as the registration button is pressed again.

Archived