Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fixing my Epi Sheraton II

Fred_C

I have mentioned in the past that my '97 Korean made (Samick) Epi Sheraton II needed a great deal of work and therefore I had "retired" the instrument to a place of honor.

These '90s Sheratons are very well regarded among players and are highly sought after in the used marketplace as very well built, high quality instruments.

Last night, I made the decision to invest the money and have the necessary repairs done. She has been my friend and musical companion for the past 20 years and she deserves to be played.

I am still wrestling with the idea of upgrading the pickups. I am considering the Lollar Imperials or the Duncan Jazz in the neck position and a Duncan '59 in the bridge position. Still thinking about this. I've got time to think since I won't pull the trigger on this until summer.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to go wrong with those. But I'm going to ask, what kind of tone are you looking for?

Danny,

The Sheraton is a semi-hollow (center block) design and therefore the tone can vary from "jazzy" to "bluesy". My 3 hollow bodies (Heritage H575 Custom, Peerless Monarch 16 and Ibanez AF125) can easily handle my Jazz tone requirements, so the Sheraton would function as my "Blues Axe".

A neat neck pickup I like is the Dimarzio Bluesbucker. It is my favorite neck humbucker right now. My early 70s Swede has a Bluesbucker in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge.

If I ever take a guitar gig again I will probably replace the neck PAF in black Tele with a Bluesbucker or go back to something that 'looks' stock like a Twisted Tele.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I would go with the Lollars and/or my favorites, the Gibson 57 Classic Humbuckers...or any other quality pups. $350 is only about $150 more than the GFS pups and the pups are the most important upgrade you can make to an electric guitar IMHO. I would also upgrade the pots...You can use the stock pups until you save up the extra $150 as time is on your side. Just a few thoughts... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Glad to hear you've decided to give "Sherry" a re-do. I'm sure you are making the right decision Fred.

I look forward to seeing her after surgery!!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

...so the Sheraton would function as my "Blues Axe".

OK...some thoughts.

Like I said, the ones you've discussed already should do the job quite well. I love the 59, and Lollars are...well..LOLLARS.

First, I will put in a good word for Vintage Vibe and Rio Grande pickups. Picker turned me on to VVs- I bought a Tele neck pickup and a singlecoil sized Charlie Christian- and I haven't regretted my purchases for a second. And Rio Grandes have some interesting options available.

Which brings me to 2: for a semihollow blues guitar, don't overlook options like Charlie Christians, P90s, or even something like a HB/P90 mix. I have found the HB/P90 mix offers a nice array of tones. I almost bought a rare (1 of 3) Reverend Manta Ray (semihollow) configured that way a couple days ago, but got beaten to it. And Fret-King's Elise GG semihollow- lurking on my G.A.S. list- has the HB/P90 coupled with a piezo system.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I'm not one to know much about such things, but STROMBERG guitars, a long well respected name in jazz circles use a product called KENT ARMSTRONG pick-ups( what they call either "custom matched humbucker sized p-90's" or "vintage jazz" humbuckers )

Since Stromberg is a long respected maker, and Fred, you DO strive for what's considered a "traditional" jazz tone, why not look into those? But....

Like I said, I'm no real expert as far as this goes. but also...

If you chose to repair the ol' gal, GO FOR IT! Why NOT "soup her up" a bit?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Armstrongs have a great rep. As I recall, US Masters used to use those as their stock pickups.

The Creamery is another excellent option, as is Bareknuckle. However, both are UK based, so shipping might be a factor in the cost. Still, I love my Rock Beach with Creamery pickups.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Armstrongs have a great rep. As I recall, US Masters used to use those as their stock pickups.

The Creamery is another excellent option, as is Bareknuckle. However, both are UK based, so shipping might be a factor in the cost. Still, I love my Rock Beach with Creamery pickups.

Danny,

I've never heard of either Armstrong or Creamery pickups. Have you played either o r both? If so, what were your impressions?

Haven't tried the Armstrongs, I have just seen them pop up in the products of various luthiers I know of. It is hard to sell $3K+ guitars if the pickups are bad.

The Creamery, OTOH, provided the HB & HB-sized P90 in one of my Rock Beach guitars. They are sweeeet. Despite being a little hotter than average, they still clean up very nicely. Would buy their pickups again.

Haven't tried the Armstrongs, I have just seen them pop up in the products of various luthiers I know of. It is hard to sell $3K+ guitars if the pickups are bad.

The Creamery, OTOH, provided the HB & HB-sized P90 in one of my Rock Beach guitars. They are sweeeet. Despite being a little hotter than average, they still clean up very nicely. Would buy their pickups again.

Thanks for the info. So many to choose from.

I am including the Stew-Mac Parson Street HB's on my short list.

Thanks for the info. So many to choose from.

I am including the Stew-Mac Parson Street HB's on my short list.

The Golden Age/Parsons Street pickups from Stewart-MacDonald that I've run across were mighty tasty P.A.F. stylees that could compete very favorably with similar pricier big-name vintge P.A.F.-style humbuckers.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Danny,

I just realized that the "Armstrong" pickups you referred to were,in fact, Kent Armstrong p/u's. DUH! A Senior Moment! For some unknown reason my brain synapses weren't firing properly. DUHHH!

+1

Definitely like the Golden Age HBs I have.

Although I would love to put a pair of high end humbuckers in "Sherry", I am starting to lean toward the Stew-Mac Parson Street Alnico II's. I have been reading lots of good things about them over the past few days. It would appear that they perform at a very high level despite being very reasonably priced. Plus, Stew-Mac assures me that I can return them, even after they've been installed.

It's all about the "Benjamin's". Over the past 2.5 years I have acquired 4 guitars and have spent almost $5,000. I will be paying off the Heritage H575 Custom for another year. It's a matter of economics. This repair job will set me back hundreds. It's not a bottomless pit.

That's what I'm thinking this mornimg. I'll probably change my mind a few more times over the next couple of months.

+1

Definitely like the Golden Age HBs I have.

Although I would love to put a pair of high end humbuckers in "Sherry", I am starting to lean toward the Stew-Mac Parson Street Alnico II's. I have been reading lots of good things about them over the past few days. It would appear that they perform at a very high level despite being very reasonably priced. Plus, Stew-Mac assures me that I can return them, even after they've been installed.

It's all about the "Benjamin's". Over the past 2.5 years I have acquired 4 guitars and have spent almost $5,000. I will be paying off the Heritage H575 Custom for another year. It's a matter of economics. This repair job will set me back hundreds. It's not a bottomless pit.

That's what I'm thinking this mornimg. I'll probably change my mind a few more times over the next couple of months.

If vintage P.A.F. flavored humbuckers are what you want, I think you'd have to spend a LOT more money to get something appreciably better. I think that you'll like them A LOT.

Set-up, including spending some time finding exactly the right height of the pickups and pole-pieces for tone, balance and response to YOUR personal liking, will make all the difference. I believe that too many people don't try that before swapping out pickups. Be sure to spend some time zeroing-in on those things with the Stewart-MacDonald pickups, you'll be richly rewarded. If you like, I can find the recommended Gibson Custom Shop settings as a starting point.

Hey Guys,

Guess what?! One of the members on the Jazz Guitar Forum is selling a pair of Benedetto A6 humbuckers for $125. Clearly a topnotch pickup set for the same money as the Parson Street set!

I've sent him a PM and hope to finalize the deal tomorrow!

The Gods of Tone are smiling on me.

Hey Guys,

Guess what?! One of the members on the Jazz Guitar Forum is selling a pair of Benedetto A6 humbuckers for $125. Clearly a topnotch pickup set for the same money as the Parson Street set!

I've sent him a PM and hope to finalize the deal tomorrow!

The Gods of Tone are smiling on me.

Nice! I hpe they suit and please you very well!

SCREWED!!!

Somebody beat me to the Benedetto p/u's. Back to square one.

I am torn between going the economic root (Parson Street Alnico II's for under $125/pair or maybe Bartolini PAF's for around $220/pair) or postponing the pickups until I can save my pennies until I can afford something really serious (Lollar Imperials for around $360/pair).

If I recall the Psych courses I took in College, this is called "Approach/AApproach Conflict".I'm slowly driving myself crazy.

The only time I consider the economic upgrade is when the option they're replacing is pretty awful or if I REALLY can't afford the better stuff. Now, why would I say that, having personally said the Golden Age pickups ar really good and I haves them in some guitars I own?

Because doing an upgrade isn't like an initial purchase. In your mind, you've already decided that what you have isn't good enough, and have a standard against which the replacement will be tested. If your purchase doesn't pass the test, you'll be back in the market, replacing the replacement.

And an economic upgrade is far less likely to measure up to that unconcsious standard. My Dad went through this buying himself a Hi-Fi set. Bought a bunch of good gear, and "settled" for Marantz speakers instead of Bose. A couple years later, he bough the 901s he wanted in the first place...and the Marantz became end tables. He gave them to me when I went away to college.

In my family, we call this "The Lesson of the Bose".

So, save your money and get what you know you really want.

Danny,

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful advice. I think that you may have clarified my thought process.

As I have mentioned in several previous posts, I received many compliments from audience members and other musicians regarding the "beautiful tone" I was getting out of "Sherry" when I was playing out a lot. These compliments were regarding the stock pickups (Epiphone Classic Alnico II). In addition I have reprinted an email exchange I had with Gibson tech support on which they advised me that "upgrading" to Burstbuckers would probably not result in an appreciable improvement in tone. Finally, the Epi Classic is the stock pickup installed in my Peerless Monatch and trust me brother, my Monarch sounds mighty fine. Exquisite tone!

Thanks Danny! Your post has caused me to examine the issue reasonably rather than emotionally.

In the mean time, spend some time tweaking the adjusted heights of the stock pickups and their pole-pieces until you find their Goldilocks Zone- "Juuust-right!" :D:thu: You may even rule out replacing them.

I recommend setting the pickups a bit lower beneath the wound-strings and a bit higher and closer to the plain-strings, while simultaneously raising screw-poles a bit higher and closer to the wound-strings, and lower beneath the plain-strings. Further fine-tune the heights of the poles by ear, for string-to-string balance from low to high; the resulting stagger of the pole-pieces will most likely resemble that of a '50s vintage Strat's pole-pieces, with the exception of the pole for the 3rd-string being a bit lower, and that for the 4th possibly being a bit higher- due to those 1950's fender Strat pickups having been designed for wound-3rds and heavier strings all-around.

This will give you more detailed, stringy, 'low-keys-on-the-piano' tones for the wound-basses, and warmer, fatter, rounder tons for the plain-trebles.

Ask Reif, a.k.a Bluesape, if my recommendations here work! :D:thu:

Also convert to "Gibson 1950's wiring"; I bet that'd do you VERY well with this guitar and your stated mission. Subtle, and most apparent in the interaction between the two pickups as you adjust their blend via the volume and tone controls. :cool:

And if you rarely use one of that guitar's tone controls, consider converting one of them to a "Master" tone-control for both pickups, and replacing the other one with an EMG SPC control wired for both pickups. TRUST ME. Beautiful warm, fat, smooth, natural sounding boost and EQ-contour, continuously variable and on-tap, nothing 'electronic', 'gimicky', or 'effecty' about it at all! I've persuaded a couple of other GP Forummites to try that over the years, and they LOVED it. :cool: FANTASTIC for leads in Blues, R&B, Blues Rock, etc. etc. (anything and everything genre-wise, really).

@Caev,

Wow! My head is swimmimg. So much information. It's important to realize that I'm just a musician- just a guitar player. I have absolutely no technical expertise whatsoever. I trust my guitar tech to handle technical issues. That's what I'm paying him for. I intend to Copy/Paste your recommendations into an email and send them to him for review and possible implementation.

There is no need for me to "check your references" with Reif or anyone else for that matter. I already have the highest level of respect for and confidence in your technical expertise. I truly appreciate your sharing that expertise with me.

Good luck with it Fred. Off the track a bit, I'm looking into buying my first hollow body. I've tried out several over the years, and some I liked more than others. I've been told that you can't get a good new hollow body in today's market for less $2,000. I really don't want to spend that much. The new Epi Sheraton Pro II intrigues me. It goes for $700 new. Made in China. It gets good reviews. Worth checking out? I would appreciate your thoughts.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

@Delta,

It would be difficult for me to comment on the Chinese made Sheratons due to the fact that I've never played one and I have no idea how they compare to their older Korean made counterparts. However, it seems to me that in recent years, Epiphone has made a strong commitment to build quality. The Sheraton design is gorgeous and the soft "V" shaped neck is super comfortable and a joy to play. It should be noted that the Sheraton is NOT a hollow body design. It is a semi-hollow (center block) design.

I would personally prefer a top qiality Epiphone to an inexpensive Gibson due to Quality Control concerns.

Let me also make another recommendation. IMHO, Peerless guitars are a top-shelf Price/Performance Champion. They represent an incredible value, easily comparing to instruments costing twice as much.

Peerless has an ES335 clone called Hardtail. It is currently on sale at GuitarsnJazz for $895. If I were looking for a new semi-hollow body, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

If you're looking for a true hollow body, the Peerless Monarch and Monarch 16 are both an amazing value at $1395. However, the Monarchs are clearly Jazz guitars and would have limited capability in playing other genres.

www.guitarsnjazz.com

Ibanez also has a couple of Japanese made semi and full hollow designs for around $2200. If you wait for Memorial day, Musicians Friend will offer a 15% discount which will bring the price below 2K.

If I can offer more information/advice, let me know.

"I would personally prefer a top qiality Epiphone to an inexpensive Gibson"

Hell....I've known a LOT of guys who said the same basic thing, the "basic"coming in the fact that THEY meant ANY Gibson, not just the "inexpensive" ones( which I don't think there are very many of, if really any at all, but I digress....)

Insomuch as THEY feel the Epiphones are on par with whichEVER the Gibson "counterpart" is. Which is why I also feel( as do others) that it may be worth your while to repair the one you have. Of course this is unfamiliar territory to me, but I really don't see how fixing up your old Sheraton could possibly cost as much or more than a new one. Unless.....

Well, you just don't seem the type to have given ANY of your guitars the "Pete Townshend treatment"! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived