Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Artist's egos

Eric Iverson

Part of the document I am translating states:

The Artist acknowledges and agrees that his services are of a special, unique, unusual, extraordinary and intellectual nature.

I would say, Wow! Dont tell artistic people stuff like THAT theyre egotistical enough as it is. LOL

An old joke: How many girl singers does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one. She puts her hand on the bulb, and the WORLD REVOLVES AROUND HER.

Of course, some people feel that way about guitar players, too, for some reason I read that Meat Loaf, the singer, couldn't deal with lead guitar players AT ALL, because "a good one is always inside his guitar. Nothing else exists for him."

And now back to applying my special, unique, and extraordinarily intellectual services to the document in question. (Just kidding, guys!!)

I'm curious as to how you guys deal with people's artistic egos, including, if applicable, your own, LOL.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to be a team player, period. If I'm asked to show up early, I do, even if that means more waiting-around time. At a recent show, I was asked if I would mind going on a little later, so they could squeeze in one more performer; it didn't really take away from my time, so I said "Sure." I figure the people organizing shows have enough to deal with, between real-world logistics, Murphy's Law, and temperamental performers, and if I'm easy to work with, I'll get asked back.

I'm not in a position where I have to manage other performers, so I don't know how I would deal with the issues that might arise. Another reason why I'm nice to the people who have to do that part of the job.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Here is how I deal with egotistical musicians. I DON"T DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL ! Over the years, I have had good luck with the folks I played out with. Several of them did the prima donna thing, they did not get invited back. Life is too short to have to deal with a-holes, especially in a band situation.

One more thing. I have composing software, a recording program, and great samples and synth sounds. I really don't need anyone else. So if I do find good folks who know how to fit in, I feel very lucky.

My little fantasy is if I hit the big lotto (yeah right)(but I always have a ticket running) Anyways if I hit the big one, I will hire good pro's to make the magic for me to sing and solo over. Since I have been an employer in my past contracting days I have no problem in hiring and firing. I would treat the good guys with the highest respect (good pay and nice work environment) The a-holes would go down the road without a second thought. Everyone who worked for me would have creative input. Any good ideas would be welcome. The prima donnas would be gone in a heartbeat. Fantasy ended.........

I learned a long time ago to mitigate my self importance, I am just another peep in the bunch, not better or worse than anyone else. The biggest enemy of a man of knowledge is; overblown self importance........

Yes, there's a HEALTHY ego that's a good thing - "I am good at what I do, and have something worthwhile to offer."

The problem is when the person begins to think "I am the ONLY one."

Whereas most of the people that are commonly called "geniuses" are or were well aware that they needed other talented people to help them.

You CAN choose to either ignore them, or look bored and disinterested while they're playing, but they'll just fluff that off as you being some kind of "ignoramus" (like: "If he knew ANYTHING about music, he'd be DAZZLED by what he's hearing!")

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Whenever I've met or played with really great musicians, 9/10 times they will be really passionate about music and very quick to acknowledge their heroes.

I had a wedding gig and the bass player booked had done a lot of tv work and was well known. When I asked about his career he spoke about all the great musicians he met and gushed about bumping into his hero, Jaco. I've noticed this kind of thing a lot.

Maybe the less secure personalities are quicker to push themselves forward.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

When younger my bands did a few recording sessions in New York and London, England with several "hit-record" producers and known session players on various major record labels - Polydor, Atlantic, RCA, Bell, Quality.

The guys I worked with were at the top of the charts doing everyone's sessions HAD no EGO and were the most helpful players possible. Their only goal was to do a great job, create magic plus bring home the bacon.

Seems the ego problems are mostly among those who never got past the local bar scene - and in some cases that might be why...

Not dealing with it and not getting involved is best IMO.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

True that, Harvey. Actually, I know only a FEW musicians/guitarists that are nothing short of unbelievable. And THEY are much like what you just described. I only met ONE like the kind of person I mentioned.

And HE really wasn't all that!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Without ego there would be no art, only craft.

I think the intent of the original post is "overly self important egotistical players". Everyone has an ego, the best of us learn how to recognize a properly sized ego for interaction with others.

Yes, there's a HEALTHY ego that's a good thing - "I am good at what I do, and have something worthwhile to offer."

The problem is when the person begins to think "I am the ONLY one."

Whereas most of the people that are commonly called "geniuses" are or were well aware that they needed other talented people to help them.

Yep.....+1

Ya-I say let`s distinguish clearly between being egotistical, and being professional. I perform in clubs on a regular basis. They have a schedule, other people are waiting-and not for me. There are things the managers do that piss me off, sure. But my purpose is to have a great performance and an enjoyable experience. I also work as part of a show with other performers. When someone has a problem, we try to help each other out.

So am I egotistical?

you better believe it.

Many years ago I showed my guitar teacher some lyrics I had written.

Later I was looking at them, and I saw that he had changed a word and written one that he thought was better.

I`m glad he didn`t do that in front of me. I would have slapped the teeth out of him. NO ONE screws with my material, unless I invite them to. I have sweated, sacrificed and suffered to bring my music to life. The only reason I still do it, is because I believe that it deserves to be heard. I don`t care how many other artists are clamoring for attention. I don`t care how tight my budget is, or how few people show up, or how crazy it is to pay $1,000 for a guitar when plenty of people are happy with $300 guitars. I`ll be on stage this month-at least twice-because I`m worth it. Am I egotistical-oh hell yeah.

Oh-and the word my teacher thought was better?

sorry. Please note my tag line. Chateau Skipclone does not welcome cliches.

All that said, next time I`ll try coffee BEFORE I post haha

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Thanks SEH-

Actually I`m just finishing the last of a series of online articles about touring Japan. I`ve also contacted another Mr. studio guy, who did drum programs for some of the earlier songs on my soundclick page. My singer friend from Holland will be here in the summer, I have a song in mind for her but I have to get it started after the current wave of projects has rolled out. Cue Mr.studio guy.

Larryz that quake was in Kyushu, next island down. There was no real effect in Tokyo. But I have a friend who is also a performing artist, she is from that town but lives in Canada. she says her parents` house got a huge crack and they are staying outside in a school sports field.

Thanks for asking. I have a friend here who is from a military family. When we meet he usually has some kind of little gifts-like paracord, mini flashlight-survival stuff. In another situation it would look a bit paranoid-not in this part of the world.

Anyway the upshot of my earlier....okay, tirade-is that, there is no way one can do what we do-everytime you step on stage there`s the risk of public humiliation. We have to overcome the natural tendency to avoid that. I`ve had nights as bad as that guy in the `leave the solos to the pros` thread. I can`t begin to remember the number of jobs-especially audition-based ones-that I`ve been turned down for. You HAVE to have an unshakeable sense that, I belong here. This is what I am meant to do. `Zan made a comment like, the guys that make it keep going when any sane person would have quit. That`s what I`m talking about.

Oh, right-I almost forgot about all the people who hear what you do and go, `so what`.

`Zan made a comment like, the guys that make it keep going when any sane person would have quit. That`s what I`m talking about.

Perseverance - the key to all great achievements.

Just watched a good film - Walt Before Mickey - this is a wonderful lesson about overcoming anything and everything that stand between you and your dreams.

Winston Churchill once gave a three word speech to a graduating class;"NEVER GIVE UP!"

Wiser words were never spoken.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

When I played out on stage, I was the guy who looked into the audience and talked to them off the cuff. The nights I did not connect with the audience, we got nothing in the tip jar. When I did, we always got a few dozen dollars anyways. I never had any stage fright unless I was playing for other musician friends, then I had the heebee jeebees for a few bars into the first tune. But I never thought of myself as any better than anyone else consciously, even though I did feel confident once I was rolling.

However I insist on promptness, if we are supposed to be there at 8:00 PM I expect everyone to be there by 7:45 PM, 7:46 PM is late. The guys who showed up late consistently, were excluded from the band by the core guys (me, the drummer, and the bass player, we three were always prompt) To this day I am prompt (early) for every that appointment I have....

Archived