Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got my CD Antitrust Litigation check today

Don't know if any of you applied for the antitrust litigation of a year back or so, I did. I have approximately 900 CDs in my collection :eek: haven't seen an estimate at how much each CD was overpriced, but I got a check today for a whopping $13.86. Imagine a few lawyers got slightly bigger checks. Oh well, it paid for the stamp... :evil:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have hundreds of cd's and got my check for $13.86 yesterday. So I spent it all at the grocery store, and will get many meals from it.

Let's see,

3.5 lbs hamburger

Loaf of bread

2 lbs of frozen chicken nuggets

1 bottle of Honey Dijon dressing

2 large bottles of Pepsi

1 lb bransweiger

I had to kick in about $2-3.00 but even still, I'll get a lot of meals out that check.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I wouldn't take that money. I think the lawsuit was bogus.

Antitrust law is very vague and ambiguous. The government can prosecute almost ANY business, and it's impossible to fight back. Historically, antitrust law been used for many frivolous and politically motivated prosecutions.

This lawsuit sets a very bad precedent. Think of all the politicians who crusade against sex/violence/occult in entertainment. Now they can use the threat of antitrust prosecutions to threaten record companies into "voluntarily" censoring themselves.

So you guys sold out your artistic freedom for $13.86. Nice going.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

http://grannysghost.com/megatronLap.JPG

Originally posted by Pricey:

So you guys sold out your artistic freedom for $13.86. Nice going.

Wrong. They supported their rights as artists not to be screwed by a system in the future. With record companies colluding to fix prices and not returning any of those profits to the artists, a class action suit is exactly what was needed to protect the consumer, as well as reminding the record companies where their profits should be re-invested: back to the product (which in this case is the music).

Price fixing is not good for anyone...retailers, manufacturers or consumers. Think this through a little more before accusing everyone here of having sold out.

In case you care, I didn't get my $13.86 because, well, I'm too damn lazy to do anything for $13.86. ;)

- Jeff

I didn't sell out anything dude. I've got hundreds of lame cd's here I wish I could get my money back on. Many of them were way over-priced for what's on them. But yet it's the consumer who's the "thief" ?? I don't think so. I spent $1,000's of dollars on cd's, during that time.

Just look at Tower Records, what I read about them was they had gross sales of a billion dollars a few years ago. Did they think that was going to continue forever ?? Now they're bankrupt, and trying to get out of 80 million dollars worth of debt. I've read they have about 40 million dollars worth of debts to the record companies for stock. Is that my fault ??

Insult your customers by calling them thieves and sell-outs, and you expect them to buy ?? I don't download or file share, but still have to listen to this day in and day out. I stopped buying cd's, and stopped dj'ing, because of all the flack I was getting, for playing cd's. I don't want to be a member of an organization that extorts 12 year old girls for money, just to set an example.

I cashed my lousy $13.86 check and bought groceries, and you have a problem with that ??

Too bad.

You talk about losing artistic freedom, why ?? So we can have more Howard Sterns running around ?? No thank you. All this baloney about Janet Jacksons boob, should be a wake-up call to the artistic community, that the general public, wants you to clean up your act. Even congress is in the process of making stronger laws to enforce cleaner airwaves ?? Why ?? Because it's gotten so sleazy. The entertainment industry just cannot be trusted to police themselves.

If it weren't for actions like this, you'd be forced to pay $25.00+ for cd's, and be at the record company's complete mercy. They would have you buying billions of dollars worth of cd's just to support places like Tower forever. And they'd still complain about not making enough money, just to try to get you to buy more. Hate to break it to you, but not everybody is going to make a million dollars in the music business, but yet some still do, even with settlements like this.

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

[QB]With record companies colluding to fix prices and not returning any of those profits to the artists, a class action suit is exactly what was needed to protect the consumer

There was no price fixing. Do you believe everything the government tells you?
as well as reminding the record companies where their profits should be re-invested: back to the product (which in this case is the music).
How does the lawsuit accomplish that?

It's the artists who are going to get screwed by this. The record companies don't care about artistic freedom, as long as they make money. In the PMRC hearings in the early 80's, the record companies cooperated with the PMRC's labelling scheme in return for getting a blank tape tax passed.

Mark my words, this precedent WILL be used to impose censorship. It gives politicians a way to get around the First Amendment.

We all know that the record business is corrupt. It's a cartel. There needs to be big changes in contract law, the way radio stations are licensed, and many other areas. But this antitrust lawsuit did absolutely NOTHING to fight the corruption. It's like charging an axe murderer with jaywalking.

Our political leaders are very good at "fake reform." They pass a law that's SUPPOSED to reform things, but it's actually designed to line their pockets and make things MORE corrupt. It's very similar to "campaign finance reform."

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

Originally posted by djwayne:

The entertainment industry just cannot be trusted to police themselves.

All right, I see where you stand on the 1st Amendment.

If it weren't for actions like this, you'd be forced to pay $25.00+ for cd's, and be at the record company's complete mercy.
Wrong. The record companies DO have a cartel, but it's mostly aimed at screwing artists, not consumers. The cartel's real crime is that it chokes musical diversity. The antitrust lawsuit does nothing to address the real problem.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

Originally posted by djwayne:

The entertainment industry just cannot be trusted to police themselves.

All right, I see where you stand on the 1st Amendment.

******I'm talking about PUBLIC airwaves, do whatever you want at your PRIVATE concert.

If it weren't for actions like this, you'd be forced to pay $25.00+ for cd's, and be at the record company's complete mercy.
Wrong. The record companies DO have a cartel, but it's mostly aimed at screwing artists, not consumers. The cartel's real crime is that it chokes musical diversity. The antitrust lawsuit does nothing to address the real problem.
Guess you never belonged to a record club, eh ?? Oh yes, they were trying to get me for $25 for a cd. Of course they called part of that shipping and handling, but still my total cost for one cd $25 ?? I don't think so.

Another example. The Partridge Family CD for $16.99 ?? Somebody call the cops for attempted theft !!!!

Living' in the shadow,

Originally posted by Bunny.:

How do you know that "there was no price fixing," Pricey? How would you know that?

How do you know there was?

That's why I have a problem with antitrust law. The accused company has to prove they DIDN'T fix prices! How can you prove a negative? Antitrust violates due process, it's retroactive law, and it's "guilty until proven innocent." It's been used to screw a LOT of companies.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

Originally posted by Bunny.:

How do you know that "there was no price fixing," Pricey? How would you know that?

How do you know there was?

That's why I have a problem with antitrust law. The accused company has to prove they DIDN'T fix prices! How can you prove a negative? Antitrust violates due process, it's retroactive law, and it's "guilty until proven innocent." It's been used to screw a LOT of companies.

I didn't say there WAS.

You DID say that there was NOT.

Answer my question.

Let me restate that. There was no evidence of price fixing. The politicians arbitrarily decided that prices were "too high."

Do you know that for a fact? Are you certain that this group of retailers would agree to settle a multimillion dollar suit if there was no evidence?

- Jeff

When antitrust law is involved, the government doesn't NEED evidence to win the case. That's what I keep trying to tell you.

yeah, if only the government, record companies and consumers would listen to you! damn them!!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe I'll make a big pot of sellout chili, and really stretch out the groceries from that check.

Maybe some sellout spaghetti, and sellout pizza burgers as well.

The sellout bransweiger is good for sandwiches, and the sellout chicken nuggets dipped in the sellout Honey Dijon dressing is also very good.

And I'll wash it all down with sellout Pepsi.

It'll take me a week+ to eat it all.

Living' in the shadow,

"How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under bridges, and stealing bread."

Jaques Anatole Thibault ( "Anatole France" )

Living' in the shadow,

When antitrust law is involved, the government doesn't NEED evidence to win the case. That's what I keep trying to tell you.

Ok... you're obviously a lawyer with a specialty in anti-trust law and lawsuits. So explain to us lay people why the gov't doesn't need evidence to win the case.

Last time I checked, the gov't had to prove collusion by the major players in an industry to win anti-trust litigation.

So what's the answer? Can you explain the basic operating procedures in anti-trust legislation and litigation or are you simply stating your personal belief as fact?

I don't know if you're old enough to remember, Pricey, but I've been told for years that CD prices would eventually drop to the relative levels that albums and tapes were at before CD's existed. The cost of materials and manufacturing are less, from all info we've been fed by the industry, for CD's than for records or cassette tapes.

If I remember correctly (and please, someone call me on this if it's incorrect), part of the gov't subsidies to the industry for development of digital technology required record companies to bring prices in line after a few years of R&D cost recovery. Unlike the hardware (player/recorder) industry, music's constant, new product (content) keeps market forces from inherently dropping the price as new technology becomes more common and available.

It makes me wonder if this was the operating principle the anti-trust lawsuit was based on. They skirted this issue for years by reissueing albums that were less popular and marketing them as "low price leaders", while propping up the new content prices at $18+.

Is this just MY belief, or does anyone know the basis of this suit? I can't research it right now... have to work some of the time. ;)

BTW - I forgot to check for the check last night. I was out 'til Midnight jammin' with Ouizel at my company's new rehearsal space. (Great to meet you, Ouizel. :thu: ) If it arrived I can apply it to the dinner Lilly and I shared last night at Las Palmas! Yum! Should cover the entire bill sans tip! ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Kind of reminds me of the movie "The Jerk" with Steve Martin invents a new frame for glasses that sells millions, then he get's sued because the frames cause people to become cross-eyed. So then he has to write out a zillion checks to give everybody their money back.

$13.86 for you, $13.86 for you, and $13.86 cents for you .......

Living' in the shadow,

FYI - The informational page where we all signed up for restitution explained that the award had been capped (at a level far below actual damages to the public :mad: ) and that, should enough people sign up to force distribution below $5 per person, then the entire award would go to music education and other music related programs.

So we're lucky to get anything at all. :rolleyes:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Moses Avalon actually opposed the rules, but for the life of me, I can't remember why. I'll see if I still have his newsletter somewhere.

I haven't received my check yet, but if/when I do, I pledge to put it right back into the industry. Maybe I'll buy Norah Jones new disc, or better yet, find an indy artist I like...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

I haven't received my check yet, but if/when I do, I pledge to put it right back into the industry. Maybe I'll buy Norah Jones new disc, or better yet, find an indy artist I like...

Hey, there's this GREAT indie band called "What The...?" and their CD is exactly $13 including shipping. :D:D:D

Change of plans, instead of the chili, I'm using half the hamburger, and mixed it with some onions, eggs, brown rice, celery, saltines, and a can of tomato soup and am making this awesome MEATLOAF !! So I'll be eating meatloaf sandwiches for a day or two !!

Living' in the shadow,

Archived