Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got my CD Antitrust Litigation check today

Found it. Here's what Moses Avalon (if you don't know who he is READ HIS BOOK, www.mosesavalon.com) says:

Diverting the cost of a trial, major labels succumbed to government pressure and agreed to pay damages to consumers who bought CDs at discounted prices. Stores like Best Buy sold CDs at or below cost and then insisted that labels still pay promotional fees for "in-store placement." (Record companies pay a $40-60k per month "floor rental" fee for the life-sized cut-outs of the artist for promotion of a new release.) When the labels refused to pay the fees unless the discount stores raised the price of CDs to at least 80% of list (a policy known as MAPS) they earned themselves a visit from the Attorney General.

Read his entire stance here: http://www.mosesavalon.com/jan03.htm#armageddon

This may not be the consumer victory we all had assumed.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link, Hendmik! I've been looking in vain for someone honest enough to tell the WHOLE story. My usual sources like reason.org and capmag.com haven't mentioned it.

Read the whole article, people. According to Moses, the lawsuit was unjust and a good example of "the bizarre-o universe of anti-trust law."

I don't agree with some of Moses's other positions, but this article is right on.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

http://grannysghost.com/megatronLap.JPG

Originally posted by Pricey:

I don't agree with some of Moses's other positions, but this article is right on.

The article happens to be right on in relation to YOUR views, not necessarily other's.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

Originally posted by Pricey:

The article happens to be right on in relation to YOUR views, not necessarily other's.
You're very welcome to tell us why. Myself, I don't know enough about the retail industry to form an opinion with any sort of credibility. So if you know somethig we don't, by all means, share.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Archived