Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammys?

Fred_C

I'm surprised that no one has commented on last night's Grammy awards.

Although it always seems that every year there is less and less music that I can relate to or like, I still watch.

Any comments or observations?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Grammys is one of the few "awards" shows that I watch...and I don't really watch it, I record it and FF through 90% of it.

Gaga annoyed me with the Bowie medley...I would have preferred to hear a complete song or 2 rather than 20 seconds of 15 songs in a style that did his songs no justice.

As much as I LOVE music, I don't watch the Grammys.

But then again, I don't watch any awards shows. I like what I like, so I'm not too fussed about whether it wins awards or not.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I never watch any award shows. If the wife has them on and a performance catches my ear, I'll watch for a minute or two and that's about it for me... :cool:

This is the value of my I-Pad, Netflix and a set of nice earphones. Or my MP3 player and the I-Pad and games. That I-Pad has saved me from all the commonalities they throw at us on the TV set, mostly made for a family demographic, and less than middle aged folks.

They do not broadcast anything for my demographic. So to me, most of TV is mundane, or emotional overkill at best. I don't watch it much.

Didn`t see it but, it did make me realize that the day I always dreaded had come. Someone posted a pretty amazing performance by Kendrick Lamar.

I said to myself,

who?

As soon as I said it I thought, yup-the day has come.

I did recognize hearing a sample of one of his recordings some time ago, but I didn`tknow it was him.

I have to admit a bit of embarrassment even though I`m not a hip hop fan.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Just can't bring myself to watch ANY awards show. Oscars, Grammys, I don't care, it's an industry congratulating itself on selling us what's mostly a pile of crap all year. Think of it as a three-hour commercial . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I never watch any award shows. If the wife has them on and a performance catches my ear, I'll watch for a minute or two and that's about it for me... :cool:

This is the value of my I-Pad, Netflix and a set of nice earphones. Or my MP3 player and the I-Pad and games. That I-Pad has saved me from all the commonalities they throw at us on the TV set, mostly made for a family demographic, and less than middle aged folks.

They do not broadcast anything for my demographic. So to me, most of TV is mundane, or emotional overkill at best. I don't watch it much.

+1 I watch very little TV. I like watching the news local and national and PBS news. We mail the Netflix discs back and forth and I like watching the series like Deadwood, Justified, Sons of Anarchy and right now The House of Cards. When there is no series that interests me, I'll watch about 3 movies a week on Netflix. I'll watch Jeopardy and I like the Fox News Sunday and the George Stephanopolis shows on Sunday morning. That's about it for TV. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Just can't bring myself to watch ANY awards show. Oscars, Grammys, I don't care, it's an industry congratulating itself on selling us what's mostly a pile of crap all year. Think of it as a three-hour commercial . . .

+1 I can't stand the awards shows and that includes the music awards programs of all things. I'm a lover of music but it's the same speech over and over "I want to thank my mom, God, my crew, my director, my manager, the awards committee, my dog, my wife, my husband, the recording company, and a list of names yada yada yada"...

I used to love the music awards and the band performances but that's when I was really paying attention and loved the music. New music to include country just doesn't interest me anymore. Especially rap, but I'll throw in new country as well. Some Pop still grabs my ear now and then. On the movies, I will try and watch a few of the winners if they look interesting when I read the reviews... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Not impressed by the nominees and their talent. I thought Tori Kelly was good, can actually sing. More atmospheric done me wrong music from Adele, yawn. Lady Gaga was one of the highlights of the night with her Bowie Tribute, as she was at the Super Bowl & her rendition of the National anthem.

Alice Cooper & his all-star band were entertaining. Is Johnny Depp auditioning for a role in a Keef bio? Funny stuff.

When Lamar Kendrick came out, after a minute,it was time to change the channel, trying to give the benefit of the doubt, not impressed...

There WAS supposed to be a tribute to Glenn Frey with Jackson Browne joining some remaining members of The Eagles, but I didn't want to sit through I don't know how many minutes of modern pop swill and a lot of people I never heard of to see it.

They might have finally found a way to get me to wallow through YouTube! :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Ahhh award shows where people think it means something, it doesn't.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Lok

It means something if you bring home the statue. I attended the year of my first nomination. Sat out the next couple.

It is definitely all about an industry congratulating itself. As far as consumer entertainment, I don't get the joke.

Scott Fraser

Scott,

How many Grammy nominations have you received?

Three, in 2005, 2012, & 2013.

Very impressive, my friend. It must be very gratifying to receive the recognition and approbation of your peers. Congratulations on your achievements!

If you play cool, you are cool.

Yea I have an Emmy for the opening of the 2004 Olympics, so what is still my sentiments.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Scott,

How many Grammy nominations have you received?

Three, in 2005, 2012, & 2013.

Very impressive, my friend. It must be very gratifying to receive the recognition and approbation of your peers. Congratulations on your achievements!

Thank you, Fred. Yes, super gratifying, especially since it's not a consumer popularity contest, but actually a recognition from one's fellow craftsmen in the industry.

Scott Fraser

90% of the music on the Grammys are irrelevant to me based on what I listen to. Who the awards actually go to are a joke also. I seem to remember that the Starland Vocal Band (Afternoon Delight) winning the best new artist award over Boston back in the day.

I think it's wonderful that we have our Scott and Lokair forum members having an Emmy or a Grammy. Just getting nominated for one is a major achievement and I know we all respect you guys. Congrats to you both! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I think it's wonderful that we have our Scott and Lokair forum members having an Emmy or a Grammy. Just getting nominated for one is a major achievement and I know we all respect you guys. Congrats to you both! :cool:

Much appreciated, Larry.

Lokair, I will say that having some framed pieces of paper on the studio wall serves the extremely useful purpose of stopping certain discussions before they even start. I no longer have to explain myself to a 20-something year old who thinks that since he has a laptop & helped a friend at a "recording college" make some techno loops, he is entitled to question my choice of cello mic on his session.

Also, you all should know that 90% of the awards, & all that are of interest to me (all the classical, world, jazz, folk stuff, etc.) are made in a quick, afternoon ceremony which is not televised. Then after a short break, everybody moves from the convention center over to the Staples Center for the TV show, wherein they stretch out the 15 or so pop music awards into a 4 hour snoozefest.

Scott Fraser

Please I should have never commented on the Grammys or any other awards of these types. Sorry for any comment may have brought anyone any discomfort.

I promise to stay out of future conversation on such subjects.

Lok

Lok

It means something if you bring home the statue. I attended the year of my first nomination. Sat out the next couple.

It is definitely all about an industry congratulating itself. As far as consumer entertainment, I don't get the joke.

I suppose the joke is that there are times the consumer doesn't find the awards show entertaining. Especially if THEIR favorite music "stars" neither get a nomination or ever win if they DO get nominated. And for years, there have been many who feel it's mostly a reward for SALES, not neccesarily a night of salutations from industry peers for music quality. Particularily in the "pop" music categories, maybe country and rap included. Many would say it's difficult to give any artist an award for the "best" in a genre in which ALL the enties and/ or nominees sound so similar. Sorta like, "which is the best looking quintuplet?"

Still many feel it's probably more "honest" and meaningful in the "jazz" and classical fields, which it's supposed the overall general public really doesn't CARE who in those categories wins or not.

Just guessin'....

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Still many feel it's probably more "honest" and meaningful in the "jazz" and classical fields, which it's supposed the overall general public really doesn't CARE who in those categories wins or not.

And those are the categories which are awarded in the afternoon session, rushed through quickly, & not televised. BUT, the people eligible to vote in those categories are in fact people working in the jazz & classical fields, so they know what it is they're voting for.

Scott Fraser

I don't ordinarily watch awards shows, or pay attention to polls, but I think SOME of the people who win awards have actually done exceptional work.

The problem is that there are many excellent musicians/singers/songwriters who never got much recognition and struggle to make a living, and some of the people who are rich and famous, well, I don't get it..... No, I'm not jealous of their success, I just don't see where they're anything out of the ordinary.

The problem is that there are many excellent musicians/singers/songwriters who never got much recognition and struggle to make a living, and some of the people who are rich and famous, well, I don't get it..... No, I'm not jealous of their success, I just don't see where they're anything out of the ordinary.

I agree wholeheartedly, there are a lot of folks on top who have less talent than some of the guys here who have never made a penny working their musical talents. I have made a small fortune working my musical talents (yeah right). I gigged 3 or 4 times in the late 60's for 50 bucks a pop, so lets say $200 in earnings and I have probably spent 10 grand over the years on guitar gear. And we won't even talk about the large money I spent on recording gear. I guess I am a little upside down on the earnings on that deal........

Archived