Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard blue book?

simple

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen one for pianos, but not for keyboards. I usually check out ebay listings and reverb.com - go by what they actually SOLD for, not what people are ASKING for them. :)

Retail stores used to have a "blue book" for used musical instruments (including EPs, Hammonds, and synths) and amplifiers. That was years ago and I don't know if they still print them.

The last time I brought a used instrument to sell in a store, they pulled up ebay. But be careful they do not look at ONLY the lowest price.

The last time I brought a used instrument to sell in a store, they pulled up ebay. But be careful they do not look at ONLY the lowest price.

As is often the case, I'm sure. :(

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yes - it's called eBay. It works like this: you search the name of the keyboard you are interested in, and then search "completed sales". This shows you all the recent sales of that particular keyboard, and what the sale price (not asking price) was. From this data, you can then have a good idea of what a particular keyboard is worth.

Most stores use this method when coming up with a the trade-in value of any keyboard (or other piece of musical equipment) you bring them. They look at recent eBay sales of that particular piece of equipment, and then offer you half that amount as the trade-in value of your old equipment. You can bitch that they are only offering half the amount of recent sales of that particular piece of equipment, and the store will tell you that you can get much more for your equipment by selling it yourself.

Best of luck.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Instead of "completed sales'" I look at "sold listings." Gives me an idea of what the item actually went for and eliminates the non-selling listings. I live in a rural area so I usually ask a little less due to the reduced market.

Instead of "completed sales'" I look at "sold listings." Gives me an idea of what the item actually went for and eliminates the non-selling listings. I live in a rural area so I usually ask a little less due to the reduced market.

This. Exactly the way to go (I can't imagine how hard and failure prone this must have been in the days before Ebay - well, at my age, actually I can...)

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

• 1 year later...

Zombie thread alert ...

I listed my Kurzweil PC3 locally via Facebook and some genius offered $190, per the "bible of instrument sales - the blue book".

I told him I didn't need the crystal meth THAT badly. (<--- joke)

Seriously... wtf.

I make software noises.

Things are only worth what other people are willing to pay for them.

Hence +1 for the ebay method, as well as reverb.com.

Craigslist will always bring out the lowballers, part of the territory. If I sell on CL, I always price a bit less than ebay prices, and can point to the buyer getting a "deal".

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Depending on the item, my ad will read "This is the price, no other offers accepted" or "Lowballers will be ignored". It certainly slows down the clowns, and I have sold several high priced items this way. I just try to price things fairly.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

So here's the rub.....if nobody offers more than $190, is it worth more than that? If so, why? Playing devil's advocate, but worth the discussion since often these keyboards are worth more to us to keep than the money others will pay.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So here's the rub.....if nobody offers more than $190, is it worth more than that? If so, why? Playing devil's advocate, but worth the discussion since often these keyboards are worth more to us to keep than the money others will pay.
I guess when I decide to offer something, several considerations come into play. Rarely am I so desperate that I have to shoot myself in the foot to sell something for less than what it is worth to me. If I really want to get rid of something, I can make it more attractive price wise, but my items are for sale, and not to give away. Knowing the market value on desired items and being realistic about things nobody wants is critical to my selling/buying peace of mind. I have had some items up for sale for a long time, but eventually get what I want or need out of it.

And, of course, there are two sides to this. When *buying* used equipment, I often have to walk away because of unrealistic expectations on the part of the seller.

Used equipment (especially keyboards, amplification, mixers, effects) has to compete with new, which is always getting better and cheaper.

Yes, I know you paid $XXX for your thingie several years back, but that is completely irrelevant to me. I'm going to compare your used offer with not only other used offers, but what's available new or b-stock.

And, 4 out of 5 times, I have to walk away.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

When I am buying, I never answer ads that are not priced. If I go to see something, I have already researched markets and decided that I am comfy in the price range, and I read the ad carefully with respect to the sellers expectations, wether price is firm, asking or best offer. If I go to see it, I have already decided, upon a functionality and condition inspection, that I am going to buy it.

As far as what the local market will bear, well, I live in a crap market.

And the guy says he wanted an 88. Wheeee! So, yeah, a time-waster, but that's not a new thing.

To address J Dan's question: yep, it's worth $190 for me to keep it!

Anyway, thanks for letting me complain. :thu:

I make software noises.

To address J Dan's question: yep, it's worth $190 for me to keep it!

Anyway, thanks for letting me complain. :thu:

Despite my best efforts, some guy sent me a lowball just now. :freak:

Archived