Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp Shopping

Dannyalcatraz

Y' know, I bet you'd get on very well with an Egnater Rebel 30 MKII head (definitely an improvement over the first iteration). I've come to like mine more and more, and it's got a lot of cool and useful features. The price isn't bad at all, either, for such a feature-laden and even unique amp (how many others can you find that let you use EL84's, 6V6's, or a blend of both simultaneously?).

With its OD-Channel's Gain up, Bright Switch on, and Treble up a bit to taste, Watts dialed fairly high and Tube Mix favoring the EL84's, it gives way to pleasing musical feedback-overtones and sustain very easily at moderately low volume levels.

I like the stock Egnater/Celestion speaker in the closed-back/ported 1x12 cab more and more now, as well; it seems to be breaking-in and sounding better. Though I'm curious as to how it might sound with Celestion G12H 30, Alnico Blue, and Vintage 30 speakers, or those by other makers based on them, individually or in combinations (particularly G12H and Alnico paired together). EDIT: It's worth noting, for reference and speculation's sake, that an older incarnation of the Egnater Rebel 30 came loaded with:

Rebel 30 2x12 speakers - One Egnater [Celestion] Elite 80 and One Celestion Vintage 30

I imagine that might be a nice mix for this amp, if upper-mids and treble were desired.

Get a couple of different cabs, open-back and closed-back or ported, or a "convertible" cab that can be used either open-back OR closed-back, and you've got a very versatile rig on your hands. See the Fuchs/Feiten, Egnater, and Orange cabs I mentioned previously on this thread.

Or use both open-back and closed-back or ported simultaneously for a BIG sound; a distance from your amp and pedals, angle the closed-back cab diagonally the long way across your room or stage, while the open-back cab is where your amp-head is, somewhat angled but facing more 'forward'. Tilt one, the other, or both back to be pointed a little more toward your ears. You'll get kick, shimmer, kerrang, ambiance, all together.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egnater is something I have been looking into, I have friend who is uses one of their modular amps . it sound good. I would like to use 6v6 and el84 blended and the wattage knob for 1w to 30w of the rebel 30 mkII and the individual reverb controls. All weighing in at 21lbs or so .

It has made my short list in the future

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Egnater is something I have been looking into, I have friend who is uses one of their modular amps . it sound good. I would like to use 6v6 and el84 blended and the wattage knob for 1w to 30w of the rebel 30 mkII and the individual reverb controls. All weighing in at 21lbs or so .

It has made my short list in the future

Lok

Keep in touch with me on that matter in the future; overall I like the one I have- a head with their matching 1x12 cab, with an Egnater Celestion Elite-80 custom/proprietary speaker- but I'd go over my likes and (minor) dislikes and observations with you and how "Your Mileage May Vary", etc.

I wouldn't dissuade you from purchasing one, but if you can't try before you buy, I wouldn't want you to 'go in blind', I'd want you to have a more informed idea of what to expect and be able to all the more quickly get results that you like. I've found this amp to be a bit 'different' in a few respects, but then again, most of my favorite amps could be described that way.

Mine is stock, original tubes and all, I've had it for about half a year, and adjusted its bias once so far.

For the most part, I think that the very few, rather minor things that have bothered me would not even be noticed at all by the vast majority of players- I really use my guitar's volume-controls and my "touch" an awful lot to get a cranked-up amp's overdrive-channel to perform something like a continuously-variable multi-channel clean-to-dirty channel, like channel-switching without switching channels. This amp doesn't clean-up that way nearly as much as I'd like, though I can tame the gain a little that way and get various subtle shadings of overdrive and distortion.

It seems to me that most players rarely ever adjust their guitar's volume or tone knobs and rely more on channel-switching and/or pedals, and thus the problem I have with the amp would probably never come up at all for them.

Many of its uncommon features are fantastic! Its effects-loop is excellent, it "takes pedals well", works well with an attenuator if desired, and the Watts and Tube Mix controls are very cool. Its 6V6's are warm, smooth, and round, while its EL84's have more gravel, grit, growl, bite, and complexity, especially when the amp is overdriven, with either Channel. Tube Mix set to "noon" for roughly 50%/50% EL84/6V6 yields the loudest output volume.

:cool::2thu: In your favor, Lokair, it works great with humbuckers, likes to be run with the Gain high, and works fine with a wah- swept or "cocked"- and is a great amp for "leads"; I think you'd find a lot to like when venturing into Michael Schenker-land. :rawk:

I haven't yet tried out its speaker-compensated Record Line Out XLR-jack, but I expect that it will be very good. It also features an internal dummy-load for safety and for silent direct recording or PA/monitor connection.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I haven't yet tried out its speaker-compensated Record Line Out XLR-jack, but I expect that it will be very good. It also features an internal dummy-load for safety and for silent direct recording or PA/monitor connection.

The Record Line Out is very good. When this was my main gigging amp we would run a line into the board for a mix out front and it was excellent for that. I never tried it as a direct line for recording purposes - but reviews generally give it high accolades for that as well.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I like having a line out xlr or 1/4" mono and/or stereo on any amp I look at. It makes going to the PA much easier than a mic on the amp. Although some prefer to do both mic and line out to the PA...the amp becomes more of a monitor and a tool to craft your sound with. Having a little extra power doesn't hurt when you're not running to the PA in smaller venues...especially for clean playing...Like SEH, I haven't done that much in the recording world. Having that internal dummy load sounds like a cool idea. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived