Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 10,000 words per month

Eric Iverson

Something I saw today, from a post about lies parents tell their kids:

"People get 10,000 words per month. If you reach that limit, you can't physically speak until the new month begins. Anytime I was especially talkative, Dad would say, "Careful now, I have to think you are up to 9,000 by now." That would shut me right up."

============

Sometimes I'd like to apply that to my WIFE.. (She's not going to be reading this, so I can say it, LOL.)

=============

Can you imagine what hot-shot lead guitarists would say if they were held to "you can only play 10,000 notes per gig"? Or per SOLO - even John McLaughlin could probably abide by THAT one! LOL John Coltrane might have had trouble, but then again, he was (in)famous for taking half hour long solos.

And now I've reached my word limit.....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh?

And....you actually BELIEVED that?

Damn. Your parents must've thought you were the best tool in the box! :D

As far as 10,000 note limit, Malmsteen and EVH woulda polished THAT limit off in just an INTRO! AND without really PLAYING anything.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Sounds like some kind of texting limit on a smart phone of some kind...Only 10,000 words a month? The kids are probably doing 10,000 words a day these days LOL! :cool:

Eh. My guess is since much texting is dumb stuff like "OMG", "BFF" and "R U 4 it?" and the like, I'm thinking it'd take some doing to get to 10,000. Actually, 10,000 CHARACTERS would be more like it. ;)

Whitefang

Sounds like some kind of texting limit on a smart phone of some kind...Only 10,000 words a month? The kids are probably doing 10,000 words a day these days LOL! :cool:

Eh. My guess is since much texting is dumb stuff like "OMG", "BFF" and "R U 4 it?" and the like, I'm thinking it'd take some doing to get to 10,000. Actually, 10,000 CHARACTERS would be more like it. ;)

Whitefang

OMG = 3 words and Oh My God = 3 words. When trying to reach 10,000 words per month, texting character short cuts would be cheating wouldn't it?

Don't ask me, as I don't text all that much...except here on the forum LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Frank Zappa allegedly had a note-number limit for guitar solos, at least for the other guitarists in his band. I'm trying to picture FZ on stage, listening to Steve Vai and trying to count the notes . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Frank Zappa allegedly had a note-number limit for guitar solos, at least for the other guitarists in his band. I'm trying to picture FZ on stage, listening to Steve Vai and trying to count the notes . . .

Haha - FZ's personal note-number limit was roughly equivalent to the national debt! :D:rawk:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Hmmm.....

I've been listening to Zappa's music for almost 50 years now, and I've noticed the number of notes he'd play in his solos varies. But for the most part he'd solo sparingly. Every now and then he'd get into "wanking", but not all that often. I don't think He's really put much thought into "how many notes" like perhaps he was Emperor Franz Joseph("Too many notes!").

Now, there are some guitarists who dole out "solo notes" like they were some sort of military quartermaster. And we ALL can think of a few who pour out "solo notes" like piss out of a racehorse! AND those solos are just as savory! :D

Whitefang

There is also a question of how lead guitar friendly the venue is.

For a while I played in a Saturday Jazz Ensemble where I got my fair share of solo time (as did everyone else). Say, one chorus or maybe two on each tune.

Most of my other experience has been in church bands, sometimes with excellent singers and musicians, and a great audience. I could contribute a lot to arrangements and songwriting, but it wasn't about guitar solos - if I could get 10,000 notes a YEAR it would be a lot, LOL. Not that they thought guitar solos were evil; well, occasionally someone did.....

I want to get back into playing live, and actually want to play in BOTH types of situation - they're both challenging if you want to do things right.

"People get 10,000 words per month. If you reach that limit, you can't physically speak until the new month begins."

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/CaevanOShite/QevmireresizedforStrNetFrmsAvatar.jpg

__ <-- :eek::blah: Dead Man Walking- ehr, Talking... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived