Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New Crumar Mojo Action

Mitch Towne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... an internal power supply would be a nice move too....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Wow, that's encouraging. Although I really want a dual manual clone with Hammond like action, I recently decided to wait for something with better action because the clones I tried didn't do it for me. This sounds promising. Now, I need to figure out how to try one out.

According to a salesman at Alto Music in NY, they will be carrying the MoJo shortly. I would assume it will have the new action if all the new ones will have the V2 keybed.

Paul

Paul, thanks so much for that info.

My pleasure Al

One would think that if this new action is the best thing that's happened to the MoJo, that other manufactures would be wanting the same action on their clones as well. Maybe this will become the new "standard" T8O waterfall keybed for all future clones.

That should level the playing field nicely, unless Guido has an exclusive agreement with fatar.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

So, I can second Mitch's assessment of the 2015 MOJO's TP80 keybeds. My 2nd MOJO arrived Monday (my original is a 2012) and, after playing a rehearsal and one show with her, the difference is night and day!

I use my MOJO as a controller for some external synths as well and, even using the lower trigger point (for transmitting velocity) the touch is much lighter and more classic console Hammond-like than any other clonewheel I've played.

From my perspective, the only way these keybeds could get any closer to the "real deal" would be to add an inch or two of length to the keys and relocate the fulcrum deeper inside the case, thereby reducing the key angle when fully depressed and decreasing the amount of pressure necessary to play (particularly accidentals) from a position closer to the drawbar rail (back extremes of the keys).

I believe Mitch said that he feels this action mod puts the MOJO's touch 90% of the way "there." I concur and, while the holy grail has not yet been achieved, this action, particularly when using the high trigger point, is quite simply unfreakingbelievable!

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I bought a Mojo with the new action. I'm happy to report that I'm completely satisfied with the overall playing experience. It has great sound, action, layout, and looks. I should add that dealing with Andrea was a pleasure: he provided simple answers to my simple questions usually within a business day -- very refreshing.

IMHO, Crumar has nailed the seemingly elusive visceral requirements of the dual-manual Hammond clone, and they did it at a reasonable weight and price. Great job Crumar!

Itching for the single manual! - actually, I'd love the single manual on the DMC-122 even more so, because you can stick a Gemini in there and the same board can be used for VB3 as well as synth parts. Have you guys heard the VB32 and GVA-1 synth yet? It sounds sweet sweet sweet.

Some audio demos up on the GSi site, http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

[video:youtube]

Here as well, at the beginning and toward the end.

Back on topic. How do you compare it to the XK3c's action? I really like the feel of that keyboard, but people generally say the same thing with regard to length of key length on the XK3c, fulcrum needs to be deeper. Is the less springy TP8O more similar to that, or is it different all together?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I personally think the XK3 has one of the worst actions I've ever played. I got rid of mine long ago but recently tried one as a controller for the HX3. I had forgotten how much I hate it. The keys are far too springy and push back way harder than any Hammond organ I've ever played. It also triggers insanely high in the action. It is just an entirely unpleasant experience. I'll take the stock TP80 in any older Mojo, Sk, or Nord any day over that.

One of my concerns when I first heard about the new Mojo action as the fact it had a higher trigger point, mostly because of how much I disliked the high trigger point of the Xk. However, it turns out to be extremely well executed in the Mojo. I could feel a difference in the keybed the first time I pulled it out of the box, even before firing it up. It pushes back less and feels slightly less deep. It is far closer to the real thing than any other clone I have played, and I've had my hands on just about all of them.

The DMC-122 does not have the the same updated action. It has the regular TP80 action with an after touch strip for the synths. The new Mojo action is not compatible with the DMC, mainly because of the lack of after touch.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I love the way Mitch is so outspoken about the things he loves and hates. And I am perfectly fine with it. Particularly in light of how sacred the Hammond logo seems to be with some people.

Speaking of TP 80 Mojo action.... On Sunday I acquired another Hammond. This is an A 102 ( French Provincial Cabinet!). I got it at an EXTREMELY stupid price - 45 dollars. I have too many Hammonds , but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Getting to the point... this thing appears to be virtually unplayed. All the preset stickers are intact. The keys appear to have a glossy new look to them.

There is a noticeable amount of resistance within these keys. It feels nearly the same as the TP 80 on my Numa, though my Numa has been played for awhile.

The only difference I notice is that the TP 80 has a bit more key dip to it than these Hammond manuals. But the "push back" resistance is quite similar on both the Hammond and Fatar keybeds.

The point I am trying to make is that I think that a lot of people wanted the TP 80 to feel like a broken in Hammond. Which is perfectly OK. But keep in mind that it is possible that the TP 80 was possibly designed with a less worn Hammond keybed as its example.

I am all for freedom of speech on this forum, but I seem to get busted whenever I question anything. You should see some of the hate mail I got on my PM box when I spoke openly about the HX3 CV issue. Much it seems to be from European sources.

I certainly never used the word " hate" to describe it. I encourage Mitch or anybody else to say whatever they want. I think it is pretty wimpy to bust people for these things, particularly if they are experienced pros.

It also triggers insanely high in the action.

I set the upper manual on my M3 to behave this way. It's nice for little pops, clicks and burps. A fly could land on those and trigger the first set of harmonics! The lower manual is stock and considerably lower.

That's funny, LX. After I made my post, I kept thinking about it and remembered that I once played a 1970's A100 that was super stiff and springy, very similar to the XK3 action. So, in a way, I guess you could say they just about nailed that particular action.

Of course, I proceeded to buy a more nicely worn in A101 instead of the awful playing A100!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

For me personally, I haven't owned either. But I have had opportunity to play the XK3c and the Electro 5HP back and forth on showroom floor often. I much prefer the feel of the action on the XK3c than on the TP-8O on the Nord, assuming this is what they use for similar reasons. But I find the Electro tight and springy. Strange these perceptions. Maybe it's just these two units I have access to, who knows. The prospect of the Mojo being less tight and springy with a higher trigger is attractive to some, maybe more than some, which would explain why Crumar pursued it?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

But I have had opportunity to play the XK3c and the Electro 5HP back and forth on showroom floor often. I much prefer the feel of the action on the XK3c than on the TP-8O on the Nord, assuming this is what they use for similar reasons. But I find the Electro tight and springy.

I think you mean Electro 5 as the Electro 5HP is hammer action not TP-8O ?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

How can I tell if I have the "new" action that Mitch mentions is on my MOJO? I just picked up a used one from an organist in Austin, TX. He purchased it new from Crumar in January, 2015. It's marked Rev C on the Serial Number sticker, so I know it was the latest and greatest as of last January. When did the new boards go into the MOJO?

Yamaha Motif XF8, Crumar Mojo, Roland AX Lucina, Presonus Studio One Professional

If someone feels so inclined it'd be cool to see one of these opened up to see how they've achieved the shallower dip if it's as mentioned.

Am I right in thinking that there are 3 different types of black keys used with the TP-8O? I have the thin textured ones with rounded fronts on my Studiologic VMK-161 Org then there are the typical Hammond style ones on the clones and finally the flat square-ish ones on boards like the Virus and the old Arturia Origin if I'm correct.

If I'm not confusing actions then I wonder if they're interchangeable?

I agree to the fullest with Jukefox about fulcrum points. Short fulcrum points make me go -_-

If it's like how the Numa Organ 2 is different from the original, there are different springs, and there is a felt pad along the front edge of the key section that slightly reduces the key's total travel (essentially raising the point at which it hits bottom). Those are the two changes I'm aware of, anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

But different springs and a felt pad for more shallow throw does not explain if the new action has a higher trigger point? The key senors are mounted on a pcb below the keys. To get a higher trigger point this pcb must either be moved closer to the keys or there must be different keys with longer plastic lips that hit the bubble contact sensors on the pcb.

The trigger point is definitely higher, and you can definitely feel a difference between the old and new action with both boards turned off. I can't really tell you what they did other than what they told me: it's a combination of lighter springs, higher triggers and different grommets.

So it sounds like the new Mojo action could well be something different from the new Numa action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks to all for the replies. My unit is 2015324. I feel like I just lost MOJO PowerBall. I'm very happy with the unit though and will just have to wait to see if there is an upgrade path for existing owners.
Yamaha Motif XF8, Crumar Mojo, Roland AX Lucina, Presonus Studio One Professional

So it sounds like the new Mojo action could well be something different from the new Numa action.

I think they are different but more similar than, say, the new Mojo and the Nord C2D.

Archived