Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synclavier, Music and Michael Jackson

WillNeverPost

This is series of blog entries by Chris Currell, who helped produce Jackson's Bad and played on the Bad tour. It's a retrospective on studio recording, touring and, of course, "MJ". I was never much of a fan of MJ's music myself aside from a song here and there but there's no denying the talent he had nor that of everyone who was involved in his productions. Currell is primarily a guitarist but with a long history of working with the Synclavier, so I thought this would be of interest here. I'll also post it in the Guitar Player forum.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Many thanks for sharing. What an awesome read. Loved the part about putting the band together and surprise for the guitarist Jon Clark who was only supposed to be doing the rehearsal sessions only to find out the band sounded so great they would go on the road as is :)

Cheers

Gino

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a video of Pat Metheny, who too was controlling his Synclavier with his guitar. But his guitar wasn't the SynthAxe, so what was it?

[video:youtube]

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Here's a video of Pat Metheny, who too was controlling his Synclavier with his guitar. But his guitar wasn't the SynthAxe, so what was it?

[video:youtube]

He used an early custom Synclavier guitar controller (probably what is in the video), as well as some Roland GR controllers.

The Synclavier still has a great appeal. Sort of like how Katarina Witt had the mystique of forbidden fruit before the fall of Eastern bloc Communism. Man she was hot!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Great account by Christopher Currell! :cool:

He left two years before I joined up, but the same high production values were in place when I had the fortune to work for Michael. He had several Synclav guys by the time I got there though, so that part of the equation expanded after Currell left.

It was a real privilege to work in that studio environment, and I learned a lot about production methods and values. A lot of good memories came back while reading about Christopher's experiences.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived