Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best" Software Rhodes?

analogholic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and info! :2thu:

Will check everything out!

I'd suggest that rather than you asking us what our favourite software Rhodes is, you should tell us what your favourite real Rhodes is? If it's a Mark V, but someone likes the sound of a Mark I Dyno'ed, you're probably not going to agree, right?

So... yeah. :)

Well...yeah...got so many favorite sounds. Herbie, Chick, Duke, Zawinul...all had very different but equally good sounds IMO. Love them all.

Guess what I wanted to know which library feels and plays more authentic regardless of model if that makes any sense...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

So many Rhodes libs, and new ones coming out all the time. No idea why I keep buying them, except that there were many Rhodes models, each sounded different, and quite a few of the vendors have made different choices about which model to sample (or model) and how (e.g. with or without typical effects and/or amplification).

I was already trending towards Neo-Soul Keys as my main source, but with the recent 4.0 update (UVI/MachFive only; I think the Kontakt version has now been discontinued or is no longer being updated), I doubt I'll reach for anything else again. And up until this release, I was still using Scarbee quite a bit.

The new version of Neo_Soul Keys is a complete rewrite, and I had to spend some serious time re-learning its interface and recreating my personal presets from scratch. Once I did that though, I found it by far the most organic Rhodes on the market, and one that really breathes and reacts to phrasing. Jamal is a genius of a programmer.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So many Rhodes libs, and new ones coming out all the time. No idea why I keep buying them

I had to go into rehab, but it worked. :D

at least until some crazy Black Friday sale makes me go off the wagon.

I'm content with Scarbee for now.

:nopity:

Wanting more and more could be you feel you have a reason to collect them, or you're too quickly bored with them! Which I can imagine because I haven't heard a software e-piano yet that appealed to me (and if that would be the case: and is original in it's musicality) and would work good in a production with norms that I strive for. I haven't looked hard but most of what's mentioned here I've head demos of.

T.

I haven't heard a software e-piano yet that appealed to me

I can believe that, Theo. I have a Rhodes Piano MK II 88 that I would much prefer over any software emulation but it's not always practical, hence the VST's. Plus as was previously stated, there were so many Rhodes piano models and each had a unique sound. The easiest way to replicate having access to all of those sounds would be software.

:nopity:

Yeah, also for me it's a learning experience, and so practical to have them all at hand at once. This way, I can really delve into the unique voice and character of each variant, as well as better understand how the processing chain affected the sounds we know and love.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks gang.

So far I've sampled six Rhodes plus a 1962 Rhodes Bass. I also acquired a 1966 Sparkletop which I'll be sampling in the next month. I'm on the lookout for a Dyno-those guys are rare. My goal is to have the most complete library of deeply sampled electro-mechanicals for hardware, i.e. the Kronos.

https://soundcloud.com/purgatory-creek/sets/tine-pianos

I have been reluctant to do more in the software space. The issues are numerous. Even though Kontakt is an extremely powerful sampler it also has some issues for me, the biggest being the need to script everything. Very time consuming and takes me away from creating instruments. The FXs inside Kontakt are pretty generic and the ones I need for electro-mechanical instruments (phasers, wah, chorus, etc.) don't really knock my socks off. Try to get a Mutron Bi-Phase or Small Stone out of it, good luck with that. And then you need to be a graphics designer for the layout and knobs/switches. Big PITA. And when it's all done, I would need to sell these directly, meaning I would have to deal with website issues of online commerce and more customer support. I'd have to up my bandwidth which would add more cost.

I've been renting more instruments so it's different than when I just sampled my own. I need to re-coup some of these costs. With Korg it's much simpler. I can create instruments that are every bit as good as software in terms of uncompromised sampling, but with more tonal variations on the instruments because what's possible effects, for example. I don't need to worry about scripting, graphics or the commerce side. Support issues are less as well.

1962 Rhodes Piano Bass

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/DL2/RhodesBass.jpg

1966 Sparkletop

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/DL2/Sparkletop.jpg

Busch.

Busch - Thanks for all your great work and for your post and insight into what's involved from a developer's standpoint in the Kontakt software vs. Korg hardware space. I have a Kronos X and and am thrilled to have your MKV, MK1-75 , MKII-80, MKII-84 and the Reed EP's libraries.

They all get a lot of use at home for writing and recording, but recently I have just gotten into the Muse Receptor and that has become my main source of EPs at gigs with other keyboards for backup sounds, organ and controllers. So besides your MK V for Kontakt I have been collecting and demoing other Rhodes (and Wurly) software libraries. This thread has given me a few ideas, although I'll plan to wait until the next Black Friday sale for a few of the pricier ones that are on my short list!

I agree with you about the Kontakt effects, average IMO, But I have just found a plugin by ArtsAcoustic in Germany called Big Rock that is specifically a V.2 Small Stone emulation (+ extra advanced features) and they nailed it!

I tried demos of a whole bunch of other popular phaser plug ins and nothing had that vibe for me (I have a V3 Small Stone and am real picky about that). Of course, you'll have to really want that sound to shell out 79.00 for it, but I give that sound a lot of use in a few of my music projects, so it was worth it for me.

I can also say that though they are lesser known and not very active online the last few years, my experience with the developer for support this last week for a demo, tech questions and install was great.

Other than that I am testing out a few 3rd party keyboard effect plugins including a demo of the VKFX this week. No opinion on that one yet.

Dave

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Busch, it's interesting that everything you said echoes Jamal's reasons for switching to UVI/MachFive. At first, I wasn't convinced, but with v4, he's clearly had more time to work with the effects. Now I actually use some of the presets vs. going dry and using stuff like SoundToys for the phasing etc.

Good luck anyway with your project. It's a great learning experience, all around, and will help you better judge other people's libraries, regardless of instrument.

Archived