Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions to ask a new band

stoken6

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me Guess...

Seal and Crofts

Christopher Cross

The Carpenters

Captain and Tanielle

Carole King

Dan Fogelberg

Eagles

Jimmy Buffett

OY...

Wait a second. Carole King doesn't belong in that list. ...

I had the same reaction. Also, Eagles don't belong on that list.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

paineth
asseth

paineth
behindeth

Huh?

Thou speakest wrong. Thou art not a paineth, thou art a pain. The suffix -est was applied to verbs in the second person singular, not to nouns. :-)

An update for all you Stoken-watchers - I have a gig in August and two in September.

Cheers, Mike.

I just caught up my reading on this thread and have a few comments from a couple pages back.

It has definitely become the norm to leave everyone to their own devices in looking up songs on youtube, using GPS (hell, making them google the place to get the address in the first place).

I was a BL for a number of years and would do all of the pre-gig homework and send out a comprehensive email to all parties at least a few days if not a week before the gig. If it was a place we hadn't played before, especially a private party, festival, or concert, I would is send an email to the band, sound, and lights guys with address, local contact name and number, circuit capacity and locations, load-in/out locations and times, sometimes stage plot and input list, and other details. Once when one was on a golf course and I visited to see where the stage and generator would be and how we would access it, I did a google satellite map and drew boxes on it for locations and drew a yellow line following the service road we needed to take to get there and emailed that out. After all of that, I can't tell you how many times I'd be driving to the gig and get a call from the drummer asking "now where is this place again?"

By contrast, I do some fill-in gigs from time to time now. Sometimes I'll get a text asking if I can play a gig at the lake. In St. Louis, "The Lake" = Lake of the Ozarks, even though there are lots of other lakes around. I reply yes. Date comes up, text them...."where at the lake are we playing?" Reply back "lil Rizzos". Google it, see there's 2. Text back "outlet mall location or the other one?" "Outlet mall". Text again "I assume this is 9-1?" "Yes". Other times when I've played at the lake with them at a location I was already familiar with, I hadn't talked to them in maybe a month, I'm draining down (it's a 2hr drive and I'm 30 min away) and get a text "hey just wanted to make sure I asked you to do this gig, you're coming right." "Yes, I'm almost there". "Ok, cool". He hadn't even thought to double check with me and it dawned on him that he hadn't talked to me and had a momentary panic. Their production crew had begun setting up the day before, they had just gotten down there to check into the rooms and start unloading, and not until then did he think about the fact that he wasn't sure if he had a keyboard player. I couldn't imagine leaving something like that up in the air. But I guess since every time I've played with them, I've just shown up, and everything's gone off without a hitch, he just doesn't sweat it. To each their own.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Let me Guess...

Seal and Crofts

Christopher Cross

The Carpenters

Captain and Tanielle

Carole King

Dan Fogelberg

Eagles

Jimmy Buffett

OY...

Wait a second. Carole King doesn't belong in that list. OK, she wrote a lot of light pop, but she has some soul. "Way Over Yonder" can be played as pop, but I don't hear it that way. "Natural Woman"? Aretha Franklin heard something there. I still like "I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet"? Is it an acquired taste to like the The Shirelles doing "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" Even "Locomotion" can be fun with the right girl singers who know their doo-wop, much like the The Chiffons doing "One Fine Day," a collaboration with Gerry Goffin. And the Beatles covered "Chains." And Ms. King reads this forum, so she's going come to your next gig and ask why you put her in a list with Captain and Tanielle.

Don't get me wrong. I love The Eagles and Carole King. But some of their songs would be quite appropriate for the Yacht Rock crowd.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived