Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rocky Mountain Way

Rockitman

Clav with a wah is what I always used. If your keyboard allows adjust the pickup settings for that full, dark sound.

It's sorta like that wah sound on Money by Pink Floyd- sounds like a wurlie with a wah but not quite, then when you get the clav sound just right and don't open up the wah too much, there it is.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clav with a wah is what I always used. If your keyboard allows adjust the pickup settings for that full, dark sound.

It's sorta like that wah sound on Money by Pink Floyd- sounds like a wurlie with a wah but not quite, then when you get the clav sound just right and don't open up the wah too much, there it is.

Yup! Exactly, Don't switch on that "Brilliant Tab" and don't open the wah too much.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Not to sound negative, but it is interesting to me that this song is getting this much attention on this forum.

Here's my problem (and it has nothing to do with the song itself): Joe Walsh is from northeastern Ohio, as I am. When this song was popular, it was played into the ground. It seemed like the radio played it every single hour. Since the basic guitar riff is so catchy and easy to play, it was the first riff that every beginning guitarist would play, ad nauseum. EVERY local band did it.

To this day, I run away when I hear it.

Sorry for my rant.

To this day, I

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

That's multi-instrumentalist Joe Vitale playing both drums and keys on the track. He co-wrote it with Joe. He's a badass musician and one of the sweetest people you could ever meet. Total tech-head; built studios for Stephen Stills, etc. Played with the Eagles on the "Long Run" tour - keys when Don Henley played drums, and drums when Don Henley wanted to come out front to sing. He's on stage during that infamous moment between Glenn Frey and Don Felder. Also was the drummer for CSN for 30 years.

I got to play RMW with Joe a couple times and even sing the second verse. He told me he played the middle part on an ARP, I'm guessing the Odyssey, as it's duophonic. The duophonic keyboard 3620 keyboard for the ARP 2600 was not being made yet.

That's multi-instrumentalist Joe Vitale playing both drums and keys on the track. He co-wrote it with Joe. He's a badass musician and one of the sweetest people you could ever meet. Total tech-head; built studios for Stephen Stills, etc. Played with the Eagles on the "Long Run" tour - keys when Don Henley played drums, and drums when Don Henley wanted to come out front to sing. He's on stage during that infamous moment between Glenn Frey and Don Felder. Also was the drummer for CSN for 30 years.

I got to play RMW with Joe a couple times and even sing the second verse. He told me he played the middle part on an ARP, I'm guessing the Odyssey, as it's duophonic. The duophonic keyboard 3620 keyboard for the ARP 2600 was not being made yet.

Joe Walsh is a pretty good keyboard player himself... Always loved "Tend My Garden".

The other day my wife and I were listening to an Eagles song and we identified every Joe Walsh signature guitar phrase in the song (there were many). He was a huge influence on that band. Inviting Joe into the band was the best move they ever made.

And Glenn Fray is a total jerk!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

When this song was popular, it was played into the ground. It seemed like the radio played it every single hour.

To this day, I run away when I hear it.

We all have songs like that. I can think of several that make me cringe and immediately change the station when I'm driving.

Yes... I still listen to the radio once in awhile. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

That it is an Odyssey.

Thanks for stopping in.

I can hear the voice stealing when he plays 3rds and heavy syncopation 24 bars in.

Went to Omni2 and readjusted some parameters and the patch sounds really nice but not 100%, and since it's in Dual LIVE Mode the mixing of the parts cannot be retriggered like Vitale did.

So went to Zebra2 and created a preset with the proper EG settings and used their DuoPhonic mode and knew I hit paydirt...!!

However being a fake synth I had to fatten it up, and since it needed a Phaser to retain the sound the Prodyssey had (probably a 1U MXR unit)I route through my XITE-1 into a TC Electronics Fireworx for that Fat 70s sound, added some distortion since I cascade 2 units digitally, and it's right on.

Been great learning through frustration here, thanks for stopping in.

Now getting it tweaked perfectly for this weekend.

Cheerz

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

looked up a live youtube vid, it's definitely some synth but you don't get a look at it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Yours was exactly the kind of real world experience I value. It's too easy to speculate. What you say makes all the sense in the world. Thank you.

Dan , you could no doubt cook something up on your Kronos which is just fine to use - or better.

Brett

Archived