Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD300NX, CP40, or something else.

Jasonbass32

Need a weighted action 88 to replace my numa compact. I recently missed out on a used RD700SX at a great deal so I am looking for something else. Actually prefer to buy new anyways. My budget is less than $1500. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of trying many different boards out locally because the stores simply do not stock anything. Of what I have tested so far, I like the feel of the Yamaha weighted action the most. I really liked the P255 action a lot. I do not want built in speakers. I did not care for the Casio weighted action on the px5s; if I did it would have been a no brainier to purchase as the price is excellent. 88 keys is a must. A controller is a possibility. I have some interest in the soon to be released studiologic sl88. I can get Roland gear at a great deal, $1130 brand new for the RD300nx. I can get the CP40 for $1250 new. I will used this board about 50% of the time as a controller.

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you found the PX-5S action lacking, I personally don't think you'll be impressed with the action on the RD300nx. Not that they're the same, but the 300 doesn't feel like the 800. I'd give the CP40 a shot over the RD300nx especially if you felt the P255 was nice to play on. Otherwise you keep your eye out for a deal on the Kawai MP7. Or ES7, but I know you don't want the speakers. Or, actually you could maybe find a good deal on the Yamaha CP5 or CP50.

Yamaha replaced the CP5 and CP50 pretty quickly with the CP4 and CP40, so the previous models can be found pretty cheap. There's a CP50 with a $999 buy it now on eBay today in Minnesota.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

MP7 may be possible. Worth making a few calls to see what I can get it for. The weight, I think about 48 pounds is about as much as I want to go. I think it makes a much better controller as well. Nobody around here has one for me to try out. Is the kawai weighted action on the heavier side or is it more like the Yamaha.

MP7 may be possible. Worth making a few calls to see what I can get it for. The weight, I think about 48 pounds is about as much as I want to go. I think it makes a much better controller as well. Nobody around here has one for me to try out. Is the kawai weighted action on the heavier side or is it more like the Yamaha.

+1 on the MP7 idea. Highly capable controller (by far the best of what's been discussed in this thread), excellent action, solid sounds - several being stellar. And it's essentially on-budget. Since October of last year, I've been steadily using an MP7 on a church gig. I'm surprised that it's not more popular.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Is the kawai weighted action on the heavier side or is it more like the Yamaha.

To me, the MP7 has a lighter feeling action than Yamaha GH (which is used in P255, CP40, CP50).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I love my CP4. It's biggest weakness is as a controller in a rig without a computer. While they advertise 4 zone controller features, you can't set up (for example) three zones where two are internal voices and the third is an external voice. The problem is that you cannot disable internal sounds for external zones, so the only feature you have to do that is to use split, which only gives you two zones.

Serious design flaw, IMHO, and makes the "4-zone controller" feature a pure marketing feature with only very seriously limited practical applications.

You can very easily set up external layers, though.

Folks here say that the CP300 is more flexible in this regard. Don't know about CP255.

I've only used organ on RD700 (original), and its organs are far superior to the CP4, where organ is its biggest sonic weakness. Other than that, it rocks and works great for my applications. I don't play 80's music or a lot of top 40 where complex setups are required. In my erstwhile soul band, we had only two songs (Forget You and Lady Marmalade) where I'd have had to dumb down my arrangement on the CP4.

However, another worthy consideration is the MOX8 or MOXF8. IMHO, the MOX action is comparable to the PX5S, but I liked both. The CP4 is clearly better, but not enough that I'd mind it for live use. (The action on the CP4 was a bigger consideration for me since I figured that long term, I'd be using a tablet, plus piano is really important to me, so I sacrificed the incredible flexibility of my next two alternatives, MOXF8 and PX5S.

All the other alternatives from a features/sound standpoint failed the size/weight test. I want to keep using my trusty old case, since it fits my vehicle and it's light. All the other contenders have wheels to the left of the keyboard; I want it above them.

The main differences between MOX8 and MOXF8 is that the latter has more FX engines and user-loadable sample memory. I only played MOX8 and its sounds were remarkably good; presumably you'd only need the extra processing with lots of zones and layers. But I bet they added it for a reason.

The MP7 is by far and away the most capable controller of all the boards mentioned above. If you can live with the weight, I'd say it was a no-brainer for what you need.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I have wanted a CP4 for almost 2 years but economics has prevented me from selling my CP-50 for one. I am using it currently for gigs.

I will say this, it will hard to let it go if I do decide to upgrade. I have had a lot of luck with it.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I would look for a RD300GX before I would get the 300NX. Of course it would be used but the 300GX is fairly bullet proof.

As far as I am concerned the 300NX is a step down from the GX. The GX has better action and I prefer the Superior Grand sample to the Supernaturals any day.

The last completed e bay listing for a RD300GX ( without speakers etc.) was 450 dollars.

Roland Rd700NX has the best feeling keybed of any DP I've played. Be weary though that some of the newer models, or the ones that have been sitting in stores as display models for a while (meaning keys get replaced) seem to have the cheaper keybeds on them.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Appreciate all the feedback and advise. I found out that a local business, about 25 miles from me, does have a CP40 in the store. Apparently it was special ordered for a church but they have not taken delivery yet. They said I can come check it out and if I like it they will order another one for the church. However, the price he quoted me was $1800, for a board that has a current MAP of $1399. Know wonder why the local shops are steadily disappearing.

Anyways, the MP7 is now probably at the top of my list. Got a price today of $1609, which is doable. I can't say that I find the demos to be my favorite sounding piano. That probably still goes to the Nord or Roland supernatural piano. However, this thing appears to meet all my check boxes and I see myself going more towards software anyways. Another Scott's posting about the action being on the lighter side, seconded by the vendor I talked to today, is also good news. Going to check that CP40 out tomorrow and make a decision soon.

Thanks again.

Archived