Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai Mp7?

HB73

Any opinions on this board from a live sound point of view?

The main use would be for low key Jazz gigs. I'm looking for a great live sounding acoustic piano and rhodes for jazz.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thread with some chatter on the MP7 when it was first introduced.

Kawai MP7 Thread

Not widely talked about on this forum, you'll find more posts and owners at PianoWorld forums in the digital piano section.

It doesn't have the action of the MP11, but it's lighter. AT $1799 street it's more expensive than the Roland RD300nx and Yamaha CP40 and Yamaha MOX8. But it's cheaper than the Yamaha CP4, Roland RD800, and Kurzweil Artis 88. So if on the hunt, you should compare to the ones that fall in your budget.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The main use would be for low key Jazz gigs. I'm looking for a great live sounding acoustic piano and rhodes for jazz.

When you like Kawai pianos, you´ll like the MP7/MP11 series.

They sample their own pianos, note for note,- no sample stretching !

The MP7 action is very good where the MP11 action is top notch which IIRC is the same than in the VPC-1 controller.

It´s 256 voices polyphony, an argument for those doing massive splits and layers in MIDI multi mode.

The UI layout of the Kawais is the easiest I´ve ever seen for the complexity of MIDI it delivers.

These are fully fletched 4-ZONE masterkeyboard controllers and you can use that thing w/o reading the manual in depth.

You don´t get aftertouch like in the Kurzweils though.

Kawai MP7 is bang for the buck IMO,- the rest is matter of taste.

The Rhodes is "better" in the Yammi CP4 which is no wonder because it´s physical modelling and not sampled.

But soundwise also this is matter of taste,- OTOH, w/ physical modelling you won´t hear any velocity sample jumps at all.

A.C.

I'm understandably biased, however I believe the MP7 is one of the best stage pianos available today - excellent keyboard action, strong selection of high quality sounds, intuitive interface, and lots of flexibility.

If the Casio PX-5S is the best board under $1000, the MP7 is the best board in the next price range...and remains competitive against boards costing a good deal more.

If you have not done so already, please visit www.KawaiMP.com/mp7 for a thorough explanation of the instrument's capabilities.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Thanks for the positive overview Al!

The MP7 action is very good where the MP11 action is top notch which IIRC is the same than in the VPC-1 controller.

The actions in the MP11 and VPC1 are very similar, but not quite the same. They both utilise real wooden keys with a seesaw mechanism, have triple sensor key detection, Ivory Touch surfaces, let-off, and a number of other unique features. However, the MP11's 'Grand Feel' action uses longer keys than the VPC1's 'RM3 Grand II' action, with a longer pivot point. The main benefit is that playing towards the back of the key is a little easier on the MP11 than on the VPC1, and some players feel the MP11 feels a little lighter overall.

Apologies for being anal about the specs...

The Rhodes is "better" in the Yammi CP4 which is no wonder because it´s physical modelling and not sampled.

But soundwise also this is matter of taste,- OTOH, w/ physical modelling you won´t hear any velocity sample jumps at all.

I really love the CP4's Rhodes, however I wasn't aware it was fully modelled. I was under the impression that the Yamaha sound was a combination of sampling and modelling, as with Roland, Kawai, Casio, and no doubt Kurzweil and Korg.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I noticed my friend, Guitarist Pat Kelley, posted a clip on his FB page with Gregg Karukas playing the MP7. EP solo starts around 1:57.

[video:youtube]

Gregg has long been a very fine player, and is also just as discriminating when it comes it his keyboards. From what I remember he has always used Yamaha stuff so unless this was back-line (which I doubt) , there is obviously something there with the MP7 that he highly digs.

I've played the MP7 twice. Enough to be fairly sure , while it's a very nice keyboard, sonically, it isn't for me. I did prefer the Jazz Piano sample as opposed to the main default Concert sampleif I'm getting the names right. It's been awhile since I've played it.

The Jazz piano seemed more conducive to single note jazz lines/solos and didn't come across as harsh in the higher end. This all was of course straight out of the box with no editing. ;)

They can be hard to track down, but I defintley think it's worth the effort to play one and see if you connect with the sound and action before you make a decision.

On first play I was very impressed with the MP11. Probably the nicest feeling piano-like action I've ever come across in a portable ( ;) ) stage piano . If I had cartage , I would definitely consider it for special gigs if there was no piano.. :cool:

Over the past year and a half I've been gigging with a CP4; sometimes an S90XS when a bit more synth firepower is needed. But neither keyboard will properly cover a single-keyboard job - especially when a respectible clonewheel tone is needed.

Meanwhile the church where I accompany and co-direct purchased an MP7 for my use late last fall. And the more time I spend with it, the more tempting it becomes to put the CP4 on the market and pick up an MP7. Most Sundays I use an MP7 Setup that contains Kawai's 'Concert Grand 2' Sound. I now have the sound dialed-in to where I'm preferring it to any of the other piano tones in my live rigs. (Okay, perhaps for rock 'n roll the Bright S700 hybrid in my S90XS still wins, but the dang thing feels half the time like I'm parking a yacht on stage.) I have the MP7's core tone scooped slightly in the mid range; it sings and has presence on ballads, but still bites for rock when I smack it.

Finally got a chance to spend some digging-in time with the MP7 today - working through and trial tweaking the tones beyond pianos and EPs. Rather impressive. While some of the tones weren't as appealing as the Motif-based sounds in my CP4, others were stronger. And the MP7 appears to be quite programmable. And its serviceable clone engine is a big plus - along with extensive MIDI control features that frankly leave those on the CP4 a bit behind.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

While some of the tones weren't as appealing as the Motif-based sounds in my CP4, others were stronger.
Please expand on this if you can.

I'll offer what I can recall from about nine hours ago. A definite stronger area is organ tones - both Hammond emulation, pipe organs, and to a lesser extent transistor-based organs - possibly a wash there. While it's not going to cause us to set aside our XK's, I like the MPs clone engine better than that in the VK derivative in the Roland JPs and RDs; I'd compare it to first generation KB3. I also like the accordion tones better in the MP7.

Guitar tones are better in the CP4 - especially electric guitar emulation. The nylon string in the MP7 was the exception; it's beautiful, and very playable. Strings were a toss-up; I'd have to do a little more listening. Some very expressive moments, but the Motif-based strings are very strong too. The MP7 strings do layer extremely well with its pianos though. Pads and synth comps are a tough call; more listening needed. Same with synth leads. Very interesting though that the MP7 bases its lead sounds on four variations: 12dB, 24dB, HP, and BP. Surprisingly, the 12dB variants weren't far off from some of the models in iSEM. With a little programming, this thing could kick out a fairly convincing ROMpler-based synth lead. I've got a couple passable leads in the CP4 (and the square wave based stuff works very well). But I have a feeling the MP7 has some screaming lead tones waiting to be carved out; there's a solid compliment of effects on board.

Perhaps we ought to take over the stage piano section at GearFest and A/B the CP4 and MP7.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks for the input guys,

Spec/feature wise and for the price this board seems to be in a class of its own.

Obviously I'd need to play one to make the decision as D.Ferris says.

The only think putting me off is the weight.

It has the audio in, but am I the only one who would like an integrated audio interface for use with softsynths? The less gear I have to schlep the better IMO.

It has the audio in, but am I the only one who would like an integrated audio interface for use with softsynths? The less gear I have to schlep the better IMO.

Well - it's most and foremost a digital PIANO - and also semi-professional one (only meaning lower price in this case). So asking for features you don't find even in most professional WORKSTATIONS is asking for too much IMHO (AFAIK, of current 88 key boards, only the Yamaha MOXF8 and Roland FA08 have USB audio interfaces built in). The MP7 is a stage piano that just happen to have full fledged 4-zone controller features as well. If you must have built-in audio interface, 4-zone controller features, and low weight - get a MOXF8 instead...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Well - it's most and foremost a digital PIANO - and also semi-professional one (only meaning lower price in this case). So asking for features you don't find even in most professional WORKSTATIONS is asking for too much IMHO (AFAIK, of current 88 key boards, only the Yamaha MOXF8 and Roland FA08 have USB audio interfaces built in). The MP7 is a stage piano that just happen to have full fledged 4-zone controller features as well. If you must have built-in audio interface, 4-zone controller features, and low weight - get a MOXF8 instead...

Let me add the kronos to the list of boards with built in audio interface.

While the Mp7 isn't a board you are going to be recording audio into, the built in interface would see it used as a stage piano and controller in more of a modern sense. By that I mean that a midi controller on stage these days is mainly used to control soft synths not a rack of modules like in the 80s and 90s.

For me that inclusion would make the Mp7 an automatic buy (given the built in pianos and electromechanical instruments are good enough).

It means I could turn up to pretty much any gig with the Mp7, laptop, usb cable and amp and be covered.

Thanks for the positive overview Al!

The actions in the MP11 and VPC1 are very similar, but not quite the same. They both utilise real wooden keys with a seesaw mechanism, have triple sensor key detection, Ivory Touch surfaces, let-off, and a number of other unique features. However, the MP11's 'Grand Feel' action uses longer keys than the VPC1's 'RM3 Grand II' action, with a longer pivot point. The main benefit is that playing towards the back of the key is a little easier on the MP11 than on the VPC1, and some players feel the MP11 feels a little lighter overall.

Apologies for being anal about the specs...

Cheers,

James

x

Absolutely no need to apologize for imparting knowledge! One of the main reasons I hang out on this forum is the sheer wealth of great information available, and the more detailed, the better! Especially since I am strongly considering replacing my Motif ES8 for an MP 7/Motif ES Rack combo.....

Regards!

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

While the Mp7 isn't a board you are going to be recording audio into, the built in interface would see it used as a stage piano and controller in more of a modern sense. By that I mean that a midi controller on stage these days is mainly used to control soft synths not a rack of modules like in the 80s and 90s.

Well, I still it's a lot to ask from a digital PIANO since most of the dedicated controllers on the market still don't have audio interfaces built into them...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

The MP7 is in the sub $2000 range. I think it competes more with the Yamaha CP40 and Roland RD300nx (although most expensive of the three), don't you guys?. Not exactly fair to compare feature to feature with the Kronos. The CP4 and RD800 are next tier even, and the MP7 fairs ok against them - in which case it's a pretty good value, which is generally true of Kawai instruments.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I wouldn't put the CP4 and RD800 in the "next tier" of stage pianos even though they cost more. I chose the MP7 over the CP4 for a number of reasons, the least of which was the price point.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I feel all four of the current popular stage pianos are on equal ground, at least from a pianist point of view.

CP4 , MP7, RD-800 and NP2.

You really can't make a mistake with any of the four if you are a real player. All have a distinct, different tone and touch. It comes down to which one you best connect with for your playing and style of music you do.

The Kronos and Forte are there for those that need more sounds ( and wonderful those sounds are).

But to my ears , they don't necessarily offer a "better" instrument for a someone who considers themselves more a pianist looking for an acoustic substitute.

I wouldn't put the CP4 and RD800 in the "next tier" of stage pianos even though they cost more. I chose the MP7 over the CP4 for a number of reasons, the least of which was the price point.

and I bought his CP4 because of the price point. I wasn't really in the market but it was a deal I couldn't refuse. I actually had someone PM me to try to buy it from me and I didn't have it for sale.

I'm very happy with it, thanks. :cool:

Let me know when you're gonna sell your MP7, OK? :laugh:

:nopity:

Archived