Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos 73 or 88 advice

JFP

After long considerations I ordered a 73 Kronos 2015. Coming from a pianistic background I always felt limited when playing less than 88 keys, but the weight en especially the length of the K88 has put me off so far. The 73-key is 1221x371x148 21.1Kg, the 88 a whopping: 1443x371x148 24.1kg. Still I am in doubt if I made the right choice. Both are on backorder , so I can still change if I want to.

- At 122 I can fit the 73 in the car without having to lower the seats etc. The 88 would just fit in the length with backseats lowered and passenger seat mostly at front.

- Carrying 24 kg I think I can manage, but it's especially how easy it is to lift and hold the board what makes it easy or a drag to take with you.

Any thoughts on 73 keys vs 88 - 73 may be enough , but somehow I always feel much more comfortable on 88 as if some restraints are lifted. But at a price (broken back to start with).

Any opinions are welcome, thanks, J

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't gig so getting the 88 was easy

With the extra keys, it's easier to have more zones , program splits within a combi

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

How often will you move it? How much protection do you want l, when you move it? When I looked into it, there were three main styles of cases. Least to most: weight and protection. I went with the middle approach- semi rigid. I don't like the way my semi-rigid holds my keyboard inside the case. I prefer the way my hard cases house my synths.

In other words, to baby your investment and keep keybed pristine, you may want to consider a hard case. It will have wheels. And it will be heavier and longer and wider than the keyboard.

If you come from a piano background i would think i would be hard pressed to get anything less than a 88 keyboard. I assume you will be doing splits/layers, etc. Can you adapt to semi-weighted keys? Not that much difference in price and the Kronos can be all the keyboards you need if you chose to explore all the functions so its your decision in the end. But go with the K288 :2thu:

I think when you choose the 73, that you will miss the 15 extra keys as a piano player, i tried to go that route once and it didn't work out for me....... (en je bank klappen is in 15 seconden gepiept)...
Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

To rephrase the question a bit:

who else has gone a similar route buying either the 88 and then changed it for a 73 board and was perfectly happy with that (or not). Or people who bought a 73 and changed it to an 88 without regrets ? After many stints with different boards I know that I can't be happy with synth keys and 5 octaves, but I never seriously tried a 73 weighted keybed machine like the Kronos.

I did have a 76 key Roland A-37 with PowerBook G4 hooked up loooong ago, but that didn't work out - both because of the semi-weighted keys and the fact that my software-only solution was too far ahead of it's time (PB12" 867MHz - Logic / Reason / Ableton / NI ; still a wonder what I actually could do with it).

@bennyray - what about adapting to semi-weighted keys ? Keys on 73 and 88 are the same weighted keybed as far as I know ?

@Bachus - yes , but with 'twee kinderstoeltjes ' and lots of 'zooi' in the car it's a bit more work ;-)

Most important - K88 2015 and K73 are all on backorder so there's nowhere I can try to lift and handle the board to see if it's form factor makes it easy to handle or not. Weight is one thing - the way the weight is distributed and the way you can swing your arms around a board and hold it is another.

I hope I can get used to the E to E configuration, but I'm not sure and don't want to find out too late. Perhaps it's not so bad and even though as a pianist I'm used to 88 you won't really notice the absence of the extra keys after a while - considering it's not jazz or classical music I play in bands. We'll see...

How often will you move it? How much protection do you want l, when you move it? .

i moved it once in 4 year. Due to selling my townhouse and buying a new house.

I kept and used the factory carton. still have it and could easily use it again

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Don't use the Kronos measurements for any decisions. Find the external measurments of the cases.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Don't use the Kronos measurements for any decisions. Find the external measurments of the cases.

Wise...

Tough so,e people still use softcases and they are just two inch bigger then the actuall keyboard to every side

Tough decision, deal with the fewer keys or deal with the extra weight. I opted for dealing with the extra weight.

I use the case found at the link below, but I have a SUV; not sure if it would fit in your car. While the wheels are nice, they don't help with going up stairs or loading it into my vehicle or onto a stage. Another accommodation is that I always ask for assistance when placing it on my stand (I learned that lesson the hard way....). In conclusion, schlepping the K88 is a PITA. I'm sure a K73 would improve this situation, I'm just not sure how much.

Click Here

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Tough decision, deal with the fewer keys or deal with the extra weight. I opted for dealing with the extra weight.

It is a tough decision. I MUCH rather gain 15 keys in trade for 6.6 lbs. No brainier for me.

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

The trouble with the Kronos 88 is, it's an absolute beast to wrestle with, not just weight-wise but more pertinently, in terms of its dimensions. Unless you can be sure of getting help with set up and tear down, as Moonglow does, I would think long and hard about it. The 73 is a bit lighter (not hugely so) but still quite long for its key range, thanks to that pesky joystick mounted to the left of the keys.

For my money, if you want to go the Kronos route, the best proposition is still buying the 61 and pairing it with a lightweight 88, such as the ubiquitous Casio PX-5S. You get the best of both worlds in touch, the thing is a lot more portable and you have a second keyboard at hand in case of failure for any reason.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Kronos 88 is a beast? Really? Top of the line pro keyboard, and budget 88 keyboard.....Best of both worlds? Why have both? Just get the good one if you can.

IMO, get the Kronos 88, you won't regret it.

Pffff, opinions here are just as devided as my brain in this dilemma. Common sense and ratio say get the 73 ; it'll probably be sufficient . Feeling says 88 - more at home on the Keybed, so more enjoyable. I'll sleep some more nights on it. Back order anyway...thanks for all the input.

Unless you can be sure of getting help with set up and tear down, as Moonglow does....

I once badly threw out my back trying to man-handle the Kronos onto my stand. It tightened up so much that for a few minutes I questioned as to whether I would be able to play the gig. I will never again attempt that maneuver solo. Of course, if someone in my band is around they will always help me. But sometimes I arrive before they do, and in those instances I try to recruit an employee (e.g., a bar back), or as a last resort, a customer in the bar. I have not been turned down yet! I have actually struck up rather pleasant conversations with those who helped me....one guy was a personal trainer and spent some time recommending exercises to strengthen my back. He also advised getting an inversion table. Cool dude. I sent a beer over to his table afterward.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Common sense and ratio say get the 73 ; it'll probably be sufficient . Feeling says 88 - more at home on the Keybed, so more enjoyable.

Yeah, there's something to be said for the experience of playing piano on a 88-note keyboard. Definitely the right vibe....after it is set up!

- George Bernard Shaw

For my money, if you want to go the Kronos route, the best proposition is still buying the 61 and pairing it with a lightweight 88, such as the ubiquitous Casio PX-5S. You get the best of both worlds in touch, the thing is a lot more portable and you have a second keyboard at hand in case of failure for any reason.

This would be my route. The difference in price between the 61 and the 88 will almost pay for the PX-5S. With this setup you don't have to play organ parts on hammer action keys. You don't have to carry the full 88 to practice. You have a spare in case the Kronos goes out.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My Kronos 88 is shorter than my old 88. :)

No way I would get the 73 due to only the weight difference. But if the 88 will not fit in your car that is a different story.

A 61 plus a smaller 88 controller sounds like a reasonable plan to me. The Kawai MPs are decent 4 zone controllers. The Artis SE looks like a decent controller. The PX-5s does not have any expression pedal jacks. Maybe any 88 will do and you use only the Kronos' pedal I/O. In that case the PX-350 has a nice keyboard in it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Another advantage of Kronos 61 and Casio PX-5S: If there is a power bump, the Casio will be playing again in a few seconds, the Kronos in a couple of minutes.

My PC3X is big enough and heavy enough that it rarely goes out. The PC3 now stays at church (analog audio outs died, using a separate DAC with it, so all would have to be moved). I don't have any problem using the SK1-73 out - I would occasionally like to double octaves on the low side, but I like the size and weight of the SK1 a lot more.

Also, I did have a 2002 Kia van for hauling stuff, it has been traded for a 2012 Volt. I could still use my wife's GMC Sierra truck, but no protection in the bed against bad weather.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the input , but I'm not going to move around two boards. Been there already. Just want one that does it all ; if the k88 would be < 20 kg with the joysticks above the keys and about 130 cm in length , which I deem technically possible , there wouldn't be a dilemma at all. Korg simply decided not to redesign the boards in that direction , cause they didn't have to yet (no real competition in Kronos segment), so it was easier and cheaper just to stick to what they have. In the end forcing people to make the choice between 73 and 88 whilst that wouldn't have to be necessary . If you look at the physis K4 specs and the new SL88 from Studiologic -with wooden keys at 20kg !- a smaller footprint and weight should be possible . Monopoly position makes lazy , conservative manufacturers. Probably after Yamaha launches a full featured light weight board , Korg will come out with a similar Kronos 3. Rewind to today I'll still have to do with the 2015 version and carefully consider two options ;-(

If you have an 88 at home, put some tape on the keys right outside the range and give it a whirl. Play normally and see how often you hit the tape. I have a 73 key but have gigged with it only moderately. Still I've found it to be reasonable to move about. I'm with you. I'm a believer in a single board. I gigged that way for many years. I don't care so much about the weight of a single board, I just don't like hauling around the extra crap (second board, cables, two tier stand, mixer).

If I was gigging I would chose the 73. I don't play much from the classic repertoire, more jazz/latin/r&b, etc. so I can easily change things around as needed. As I'm not gigging anymore, I will be switching out my original 73 for a Kronos 2 88.

Busch.

Another advantage of Kronos 61 and Casio PX-5S: If there is a power bump, the Casio will be playing again in a few seconds, the Kronos in a couple of minutes.

M

Lol, now that's really a stretch, lol. No offense. If there's a rare power bump, you can at least play the less desirable $1,000 keyboard for a few minutes.

The only reason to buy a 73 key Kronos is when you have another top keyboard with 88 keys beneath it...

The casio PX-5s is probably the only lightweight option... Tough at 18kg, the Nord stage 2 is also a good option, however, thats a very pricey one, and i personally like the PX5s action better, on top of that, there is nothing that both these keys can do that the Kronos cant...

If you dont need a 2nd key, then you might better forget about adding a 2nd key just to save 3kgs, as in the end it will be more of a chore to cary 2 keys around all the time

Just my opinion, and Ill speak for myself. Any day.I will carry a professional instrument and make the effort to get it into building, in the same way I make the effort to play and sound the best that I can. Why compromise ? Just for load in, and load out?

Having said that and keyboard stats, the Kronos 88 is not even close to being a heavy keyboard.

If you keep batteries in the PX-5S you won't have any downtime at all in case of a power bump - the cut-over is seamless.

Remember when the only serious alternative to an acoustic piano was a 'Fender' Rhodes. Weight. 73-keys. And music was made! Hell, take a B3. WEIGHT! 63-keys. And music was made!! Just reminiscing. :-) I'd go with the two board solution.

There are three kinds of musicians,

those who can count and

those who can't.

Archived