Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Best Orchestral library for approx $1K

Bobadohshe

I recently came into some $ from licensing and want to invest it back into my production. One area which I am sorely lacking in is a good orchestral library. So far I've skated by with the orchestral instruments that ship with Kontakt in Komplete, and I've gotten a lot of mileage out of these over the years. I think I'm ready for a more expanded palate of articulations and groupings however.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something that has been working well for them and is good value at around $1K?

In a somewhat different category, I am thinking I will also spend the $450 for Omnisphere (this wouldn't subtract from the $1K budgeted for Orch stuff). I know 2.0 is around the corner and if I buy now I'll be able to upgrade to 2.0 for free. Every time I hear it I am inspired.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the EastWest Symphonic Orchestra (Gold) and love it. It's a couple of years old. I looked at the Hollywood series, but could not bear the price at this time. I got the SO on a 50% deal I recall. I am quite happy at this level for now. The Hollywood series, maybe in the future.

P.S. hated i-lok required

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I've got the EastWest Symphony Orch Platinum Plus. You can hear some examples on my website (link in signature). It's pretty sweet & complete, but it's a pretty wet sound... even the close mics have a lot of room in them.

I'd encourage you to take a hard look at the Composer's Collection 3 Gold from East West. It has the Hollywood Gold Orch in it within your budget.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Project Sam..Symphobia, Symphobia 2, Smp 3 Lumina, True Strike 1 & 2 Cinematic perc...they also have a new thing coming out called Swing..Big Band. Ive been using Project Sam products for over 6 years now. I also own the EW stuff. Not knokin EW, but since I started w/PS, I very rarely open EW. Pretty amazing products. Symphobia has been out awhile, think there r some good prices around, or go straight to their website. Think they have samples u can listen to.

Not what you asked but a used Kurz PC361 would be in that price range and is pretty impressive.

It's definitely worth looking into. I've been using the Kurz orchestral sounds more and more as I find them an order of magnitude quicker to work with than for example VSL. The sound quality is comparable if not better.

Here's a short suite of pieces I made recently using only Kurzweil PC3 factory sounds.

Also, don't forget that East West now has the 'rental option' like Adobe Creative Cloud. It might make your money go further and give you more options.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived