Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kronos - expression pedal less linear for one combi...

Jetrocker

Hi all

I started using an expression pedal for volume on all my Kronos setlist programs and combi's at last night's gigs. All was well in terms of smooth linear gain with the pedal (Yamaha FC7) on all patches except one.... Monster Metal Stack. This one, for some reason, is basically off during the first 10 degrees or so of pedal travel, then it's almost full on immediately. I can only assume there is some kind of setting or differctn attack for this particular patch that causes the sound gain to be so different than the others with the expression pedal. Kronos classic 61. Can someone help me find out how to fix this? Thank you! Mark

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the program number?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

What's the program number?

C087, apparently.

Not on mine.

Actually.....not in the manual you linked either. It's "horns and brass" as it is on mine.

Edit.....strike that, I see it's a combi, not a program

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My expression pedal doesn't do anything on that combi. Need more info, what is your expression pedal global assignment?

Dan

Expression pedal global is CC#11. Yes, it's a combi.

That combi doesn't have any Foot Pedal assignment anywhere in it. You've either got the Expression pedal plugged into the wrong jack, or you've edited the Combi (or someone else has).

The pedal is in the pedal jack and every other patch I use responds as expected. If this combi doesn't have any foot pedal assignment in it, can I "add" it? I'm assuming other combi's must have it so it must something that can be a part of this combi?

Some incorrect info floating here. If your expression pedal is set to CC#11 (expression) in Global, the specific sound (Program or Combi) doesn't need any special assignments. They will just respond to CC#11 by changing their volume.

If a timbre in the Combi has a MIDI Filter setting it can/will ignore that behavior, of course.

Here on my Kronos it (Monster Metal Stack) seems to be working OK. Maybe you can describe better what you're experiencing...

Jerry

Some incorrect info floating here. If your expression pedal is set to CC#11 (expression) in Global, the specific sound (Program or Combi) doesn't need any special assignments. They will just respond to CC#11 by changing their volume.

Yep, but the description was that the behaviour was non-linear and erratic (compared to other patches, apparently), so my point was that there was nothing specifically assigned that might lead to such behaviour. :)

Sorry to be unclear about that.

Ok, so it sounds like this is something that might be just weird to my ears only. I don't know how else to describe what I'm getting. Just sounds like the patch comes on, all of a sudden, about 1/3 of the way into the pedal angle change. This was actually the case on all patches when I tried to use the Korg VX pedal. Now with the Yamaha, all is well but this one. Perhaps I just need to turn the overall level down in the patch so it's not as hot when it comes up. I dunno. Thanks for the input for sure. Must just be me. -Mark

Sven: I see, yes I didn't get that from the first read. No worries.

My only other suggestion is to go to the IFX and see if the compressor and amp sims are affecting what you're hearing. Not that you want to lose them, but just to explore the issue more.

Jerry

Ok, so it sounds like this is something that might be just weird to my ears only. I don't know how else to describe what I'm getting... Must just be me.

There's a simple way of objectively pinning down the problem. Use a DAW/sequencer in which you can 'draw' a CC#11 linear ramp. Make sure the ramp is reasonably shallow. MIDI the sequencer output to the Kronos, first with the 'normal' combis and then with the Monster Metal Slack.

In both cases, record the output. Now you have concrete, measurable evidence of what you're hearing. You could share it here using a Soundcloud link or something, and the Kronos experts should be able to take it from there.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived