Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGD

Fred_C

Just bought one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-ls16m-l-series-solid-mahogany-spruce-concert-acoustic-electric-guitar.

I really need to polish my Travis style chops and I believe that this guitar with a 1 3/4 inch nut width will be just the ticket to accomplish that goal.

The used Loar I bought was a piece of junk. It turned out that the neck was twisted and would not play. Bad notes all over the fretboard. Even my guitar tech threw up his hands in disgust. It was a totally lost cause. I literally threw it into the trash and I'm out $400. Caveat emptor.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Brother, that Loar is a sad story but I'm glad you picked up that sweet looking Yamaha! Hope she sounds and plays great. I love my little Takamine (non-cutaway) parlor guitar. My tech had to do some work on it before it played like it does now. I had saved enough bucks on the sales price to pay for the work (i.e. $180). That little acoustic gets more play time than all of my other guitars combined. Keep us posted on how that pickup system sounds and CONGRATS! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Just bought one of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-ls16m-l-series-solid-mahogany-spruce-concert-acoustic-electric-guitar.

I really need to polish my Travis style chops and I believe that this guitar with a 1 3/4 inch nut width will be just the ticket to accomplish that goal.

Congratulations! That's a sharp looking guitar, and Yamaha has long made excellent quality guitars, and often particularly good for the money. Give us a full run-down once you've spent some quality time with it!

The used Loar I bought was a piece of junk. It turned out that the neck was twisted and would not play. Bad notes all over the fretboard. Even my guitar tech threw up his hands in disgust. It was a totally lost cause. I literally threw it into the trash and I'm out $400. Caveat emptor.

That's terrible! I'm very sorry to hear that, Fred! Not salvageable? Not even a planing and refret would do? (Admittedly, that would be an expensive route, though.) Is it literally gone with the trash? It couldn't be sold for cheap to someone to try to fix up?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The Loar is a total loss, Caev. My tech worked on it and told me that it was constructed with wood that was not properly aged and the neck had twisted. It was very strange. One day it would play okay with just a few dead notes. Then, it got to the point where EVERY note on the board was as dead as a doornail, producing no discernable musical tone at all.

I threw the damned thing away.

I recall back in '95 when I got my old EPI fixed that the tech said IT'S neck was also twisted a "smidge". I WAS lucky in that it WAS "fixable".

Too bad about yours. That HAS to suck!

$400 might not sound like a lot to pay for a used acoustic to SOME people, but it's a lot to ME regardless of WHAT I'm purchasing. Should be to anybody.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

sweet score. L series Yamahas are awesome guitars.

i have my eye on a LL6. man it is built and even though it isn't solid sides i liked it better than the LL16 next to it at the store. a bit more ring.

Are you looking at the Rosewood or Mahogany model

That LL6 looks like a super value at $500-600!

I've never played a Yamaha neck that I didn't like.

sweet score. L series Yamahas are awesome guitars.

i have my eye on a LL6. man it is built and even though it isn't solid sides i liked it better than the LL16 next to it at the store. a bit more ring.

Are you looking at the Rosewood or Mahogany model

That LL6 looks like a super value at $500-600!

I've never played a Yamaha neck that I didn't like.

sorry Fred, i was late to answer this. it was the rosewood model. though i also liked the mahogany model they had in a few months earlier.

Y'know, at FIRST I thought you were referring to one of THESE:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/silentguitars/

I only SAW one of these "up close", but never heard one.

YOURS looks BETTER, anyway!

Whitefang

I`ve had several tryouts with those-very good solution for apartment dwellers.

And married people.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

THANK you, Skip...

I've asked about those here BEFORE and got no response. Not even a "never heard of 'em".

But Fred's Yamaha ISN'T one of them, AND actually DOES look a lot better. Waitng too, for the report!

Whitefang

I've only seen those practice traveling guitars in the ads...I've never actually seen one or picked one up one and played it. I think when they 1st came out they used some kind of stethoscope thingy for ear phones? I was never interested enough to go look at them...
Take care, Larryz

Traveling guitar? NOT what I posted. I've seen them sitting among the gear at a set up for a professional show of some kind. Just that we didn't GET there in time for me to have HEARD them. Regular guitar size, just weird.

I've tried playing on of them MARTIN "Backpack" guitars. Pretty much sucked.

Whitefang

Yes Fang, "Traveling guitar"...read your own link. "Wherever you are" you can take your guitar and not disturb your neighbors in the hotel room next to you as they are "silent" guitars. Great practice and traveling guitar comments will be found throughout the reviews for why most people buy them...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-slg130nw-classical-style-silent-guitar <---here's a write up for you travelers out there...read the "Overview".

Take care, Larryz

I've only seen those practice traveling guitars in the ads...I've never actually seen one or picked one up one and played it. I think when they 1st came out they used some kind of stethoscope thingy for ear phones? I was never interested enough to go look at them...

I have a Traveler brand travel guitar. In fact it was the very first one off the assembly line when they were being made in California. They put it together with the options I wanted while I waited. Yes, it has an acoustic stethoscope included, which is incredibly painful, & sounds like crap. The ear prongs are very hard plastic & press against the ear canals very tightly. Medical stethoscopes are just like that & are intended to be used for periods of maybe 10-15 seconds at a time, not extended listening.

The guitar is super convenient, though these early ones are not as well made as the current Chinese factory built Travelers. Doesn't stay in tune. But a great idea that a lot of builders are picking up on now.

Scott Fraser

<---yeah Scott, I remembered those 1st ones. I knew they broke down for traveling too. I didn't know if the Yamahas like Fang posted still broke down for traveling, but then I found this YouTube clip that shows what I was getting at...They do plug in and can be pretty cool for a gigging guitar and they fit in the overhead on the plane! They come in both Nylon and Steel strings too. :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Y'know?

I wonder if someone at Yamaha didn't get the idea from Les Paul, whose earlier version of his guitar WAS basically just a neck with a pick-up on it (the all famous "log"?). He THEN made two wooden "attachments" to fasten to the sides to get it to LOOK like a typical guitar!

Sorta like what YAMAHA has done with these "silent" jobs! :D

And I apologize for the "traveller" mix up. MY understanding(or MISunderstanding)was that a "traveller" would be something a bit "compact", like those ugly MARTIN "Backpackers" which come with their own nylon bag. CRAPPY sounding and playing suckers!(did try one out at the short lived MARS MUSIC back about '98).

Whitefang

Pretty cool Scott! The video sure explains a lot. The only design feature I think could have been changed is the input jack and maybe also add a tone control. I might have mounted the input on the bottom side or on the face of the bout rest. I didn't think (as you advised) that the stethoscope would be too comfortable so I wouldn't use it or that little Allen wrench adjustment for it, as I would have never known why it was in the bag LOL! I like the Yamaha design like that the ones Fang posted with the on-board battery and the headphone jack and the Reverb! But, they probably cost a bit more too...
Take care, Larryz

Zan,

If you buy the guitar you are going to be a very happy guitarist! Just be aware that 1.75" nut width may take some getting used to.

A very fine instrument. An incredible value!! Pls see my initial impressions posted below.

INITIAL REPORT

The Yamaha arrived last Thursday. It is a gorgeous instrument and will compete head to head with many acoustics up to about $1000-2000.

Build Quality

Impeccable and attention to details such as the abalone rosette is first rate. There is no glue visible inside the body and the entire instrument is beautifully detailed. Tuners are adequate to task and the case is of acceptable, but not great quality (Hey, you can't have everything for $700.00).

When I first inspected the guitar I noted a strip of spruce vertically bisecting the back. Usually, this is an indication of a two piece back (which as you are all aware, makes the body vibrate more easily over time as the instrument ages). Sometimes, marquetry (sp?) like this is simply ornamental. In an effort to find out I called Yamaha Customer Service and they verified that it was indeed a two piece back. A major plus!!

Playability:

I can't comment in detail regarding Playability as yet, due to the fact that I have not taken the guitar in to my tech for the all-important initial setup. The action is fine over the first 5 positions or so, but becomes a little "spongy" from the 6th fret up. The setup will fix this minor concern.

I should mention that the 1.75" nut width may be a concern for some players. When I first played the instrument it felt like I was playing the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. This neck will take a little getting used to.

I am happy to report that I have not lost my Travis style skills. almost 5 decades of muscle memory and motor skills don't evaporate. However, I am admittedly rusty. I haven't had an appropriate acoustic on which to practice these skills in a long time.

I am absolutely thrilled with this Yamaha and will post a more thorough report on playability in the weeks ahead.

Be well and Play well.

Fred

INITIAL REPORT

The Yamaha arrived last Thursday. It is a gorgeous instrument and will compete head to head with many acoustics up to about $1000-2000.

Build Quality

Impeccable and attention to details such as the abalone rosette is first rate. There is no glue visible inside the body and the entire instrument is beautifully detailed. Tuners are adequate to task and the case is of acceptable, but not great quality (Hey, you can't have everything for $700.00).

When I first inspected the guitar I noted a strip of spruce vertically bisecting the back. Usually, this is an indication of a two piece back (which as you are all aware, makes the body vibrate more easily over time as the instrument ages). Sometimes, marquetry (sp?) like this is simply ornamental. In an effort to find out I called Yamaha Customer Service and they verified that it was indeed a two piece back. A major plus!!

Playability:

I can't comment in detail regarding Playability as yet, due to the fact that I have not taken the guitar in to my tech for the all-important initial setup. The action is fine over the first 5 positions or so, but becomes a little "spongy" from the 6th fret up. The setup will fix this minor concern.

I should mention that the 1.75" nut width may be a concern for some players. When I first played the instrument it felt like I was playing the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. This neck will take a little getting used to.

I am happy to report that I have not lost my Travis style skills. almost 5 decades of muscle memory and motor skills don't evaporate. However, I am admittedly rusty. I haven't had an appropriate acoustic on which to practice these skills in a long time.

I am absolutely thrilled with this Yamaha and will post a more thorough report on playability in the weeks ahead.

Be well and Play well.

Fred

Glad to hear it! I'd guess that the "sponginess" you describe may be due to a little too much relief coupled with slightly high action; zeroing-in on the right set-up there is somewhat subjective and depends on the given player and the specific strings and gauges preferred.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Zan,

If you buy the guitar you are going to be a very happy guitarist! Just be aware that 1.75" nut width may take some getting used to.

A very fine instrument. An incredible value!! Pls see my initial impressions posted below.

no worries about the nut size, i am fairly adaptable in fact i probably have something that is 1.75 in the herd. i love those Yamaha necks and the tone is sweet.

I'm glad to hear you are happy with the Yamaha Fred! I know it's in the right hands and you will make some very pretty music with her. Make sure you report back to us after you have the set up done...Enjoy! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

Archived