Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NGD

Fred_C

Zan,

If you buy the guitar you are going to be a very happy guitarist! Just be aware that 1.75" nut width may take some getting used to.

A very fine instrument. An incredible value!! Pls see my initial impressions posted below.

no worries about the nut size, i am fairly adaptable in fact i probably have something that is 1.75 in the herd. i love those Yamaha necks and the tone is sweet.

Agreed. As I had posted before, I've never played a Yamaha neck I didn't like.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a Seagull S6 in what looks like perfectly fine condition except for some pick scratches around the pick guard here on CL for $160. I don't need another acoustic... but I feel compelled to buy it on principal and sell it to someone who wants a guitar later.

• 2 weeks later...

TONE AND PLAYABILITY

I have had the guitar back from my tech for about a week now and I am thrilled with the performance level. As I had expected, it took some time to get used to the width of the fretboard. Having played the guitar every day for a week, it is a wonderful instrument with top shelf playability. I have played through such challenging pieces as Blind Boy Fuller's "Step It Up and Go", Sam McGee's "Railroad Blues " and Doc Watson/Merle Travis/Chet Atkins' famous "Windy and Warm". The instrument performed flawlessly (I wish that I could say the same thing about my playing, but my chops are coming back very nicely and I am pleased with my progess).

The TONE is a thing of beauty. Notes are very well defined due to the ebony fretboard and chords are beautifully articulated with each note in the chord clearly audible. In addition, the solid mahogany body and solid spruce top lend warmth to the tone. Harmonics bloom and blossom from the instrument.

I am overwhelmed by the quality of this guitar. It represents an incredible value and, as I had stated in my original post, will compete effectively with instruments in the $1,000-2,000 range.

Highly recommended.

If you play cool, you are cool.

That's great news Fred! I'm glad she's going to be a little honey of a guitar for you. I'm sure she's going to make some very sweet music with you at the helm... :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

:cool: Glad to hear it! Glad you got a good one. I've liked ebony fretboards on flat-top acoustic guitars, too. And mahogany bodies; I just may prefer that to rosewood bodies. Further research is required before anything conclusive can be decided upon there, though... :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I used to "pooh-pooh" the notion that a slight difference in neck width had any affect on one's playing.

Of course, over time, personal experience has proved me wrong.

But I'm sure that with the amount of time you put in on playing, any adjustment will be quick. And of course, if YOU'RE happy, it's all that matters.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived