Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha hasn't released a new flagship synth because ________

Bif_

I didn't include the new B3 in the list of Hammonds low cost boards, I mentioned it because it is an example of Hammond's commitment to keeping the traditional Hammond legacy alive and relevant in the electronic era and a product that is clearly going to sell in low volumes that could only be developed and released by a company that is focussed on the long term rather than next quarter's earnings.

But this could be said of most of the current clonewheel manufacturers including Clavia, Crumar and KeyB. In the case of the last two they are small companies driven by the vision of one or two people to make what they consider the best available clonewheel.

That doesn't matter. People need to be able to go an order something from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend without the hassle like what me and others went through with KeyB, it was a fuckin nightmare. Vision doesn't mean shit if its not accessible.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Vision doesn't mean shit if its not accessible.

Quote of the day.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well the DMI saga ended in tears for everybody. Until these clonemakers have a retail infrastructure and service available like Hammond or Clavia they will remain a boutique supported only by the adventurous.

Aspens approach of selecting one retailer gives customers the option of buying direct or the comfort of buying through a recognised retailer with their return policy and warranty support.

If the product doesn't cut it regarding reliability or service at least the customer is not hung out to dry.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Exactly my point, then it doesn't matter how good it is. I have heard nightmares about the build quality of the Mojo's so much so a famous jazz organ player that is very good returned his, he told me himself. So then how good is it really? People don't want a hassle everytime something needs to be done. It was a nightmare dealing with the KeyB saga, it lasted months and I was excited to get the organ, after awhile I didn't care. All Hammond has to do is not put out things with a cheap build quality like the SK or XK-1C series, I love them don't get me wrong but scared it's going to get damaged. Consistency is something we all look for whether it's Hammond, Nord, or Yamaha.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

After Diversi and DMI I think any businessman would be batshit crazy to enter into a partnership with KeyB.

Crumar has an excellent opportunity to do this right. It would be cool if the Hamichord could become viable if the right distribution network is put into place.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 4 weeks later...
I recall seeing videos of the development of the original Motif and the painstaking efforts Yamaha engineering took to recreate certain sounds used by specific artists. It was incredible and impressive.

Where? A Yamaha geek like me would like to see.

KEYBOARD magazine also had a nice "History Of The Motif" piece a while back (10th anniv., I believe). They really put a lot of effort into creating that soundset - that's probably why it has been recycled so many times (meaning the later XS and XF sets).

Maybe you're right, maybe that's why it's taking so long, because they're super nerdy about making it as "perfect" as possible. I'm sure we all remember the Fantom-G which many would argue was rushed out.

1. Hammond/Leslie modeling with real drawbars, a la Nord Electro. The lack of believable organ sounds is IMO the biggest shortcoming of the XF.

A lot of people seem to complain about the organs. Try the K-Sounds ORGANimation sound pack for the XS/XF. I'd say it's very impressive stuff.

A lot of people seem to complain about the organs. Try the K-Sounds ORGANimation sound pack for the XS/XF. I'd say it's very impressive stuff.

Better than the stock, maybe. Impressive? Probably only for those who never play the real thing or a dedicated clonewheel. The chief failing is the percussion repetition, and no amount of tweaking can cure that in the current Motif range.

As for what's holding Yamaha back, I suspect the following:

* They're in the process of moving away from PCM samples to modelling, a la Roland's Supernatural sounds. Migrating your sound sets, or programming entirely new models, is a lengthy and costly business.

* They're also working on getting the dimensions and weight down for this line. The CP4 was a clear signal that Yamaha had listened to customer feedback a quality but lightweight board which sounded great in mono. I'm pretty sure we'll see this trend continue in whatever comes next in their flagship range.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

The chief failing is the percussion repetition, and no amount of tweaking can cure that in the current Motif range.

In the Motif XS/XF (& MOXF), a different waveform can be triggered depending upon legato or staccato playing. Perhaps, this can be employed to go a little bit more towards a B3. This is simply theoretical & with no B3 experience. (I do agree that the best way to approximate a B3 with a clonewheel.) Just pointing out a neat feature of recent Motif's. But, pulling that off requires a fair amount of effort, assuming it's not present in a 3rd party set.

I haven't been around long. And likely I'm tainted by my awkwardly late-to-the-motif party perspective. Like, 'after the lights been turned on' late. That said, the Yamaha workstation seems to be the most incendiary keyboard on the forums this past decade. I assume it's for all the reasons mentioned many times over-- big company, past hits, many fans, not enough "keeping with the times" according to a hodgepodge of metrics & arenas. Just noting. There've always been successful innovators & successful culminators.

As for what's holding Yamaha back, I suspect the following:

* They're in the process of moving away from PCM samples to modelling, a la Roland's Supernatural sounds. Migrating your sound sets, or programming entirely new models, is a lengthy and costly business.

* They're also working on getting the dimensions and weight down for this line. The CP4 was a clear signal that Yamaha had listened to customer feedback a quality but lightweight board which sounded great in mono. I'm pretty sure we'll see this trend continue in whatever comes next in their flagship range.

Aidan, you've made at least one, and possibly two strong points here. I've been curious about how Yamaha would present a modeled instrument, or possibly a modeled/sampled hybrid. I recall a conversation with Phil Clendenin a few years back in which the relative strengths of both technologies came up; so I wonder if a new, performance instrument would have some of both - perhaps including or spring-boarding from Motif XF technology. Maybe we'll see some type of advanced SCM used across instrument categories. And with the vast increase in functions and interconnectivity over the past decade (software synths/instruments/effects, and hardware instruments such as the Kronos and SuperNatural technology), it would be cool to see Yamaha grab that particular ball and run it. Then again, they may do something completely new and different.... Will be fun to see what they've been cooking up.

Dimensions and weight are important considerations. I think of that every time I need the sounds / functionality of my S90XS, but would also like to have the compact footprint of my CP4. While the S90XS' 50 lb. is somewhat manageable, the bulk-awkwardness factor is not. I wish the whole industry would nail the coffin shut on this antiquated 'pitch and mod controls to the left of the keyboard' design.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I wish the whole industry would nail the coffin shut on this antiquated 'pitch and mod controls to the left' design.

Ironic that the original S90 had the pitch and mod wheels over top the keys, not to the left of the keys, so it is significantly shorter than the ES and XS models. Wonder why they changed that design?

:nopity:

You know Yamaha was very early in the modeling game, capitalising immediately on their technology developing instruments and fx. I think with regard to the piano, they were not satisfactorily impressed with the results they were getting. Hence, we have not seen them offer a digital piano based on modeling despite the fact Roland went full throttle with the V-Piano and V-Piano Grand.

So are they quietly advancing their efforts or have the abandoned it in preference for sampling. Only time will tell I suppose.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Archived