Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 2 EX

EdMusic

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is Stage 3???

:facepalm: Probably still in development. The Lead 4 and A1 are still pretty new and the Electro 5 has barely hit stores. The Stage is their flagship, and a pool for all their most successful technology. They've updated their synths, they've updated their organ, they've updated their piano. Now they've got to make sure they all play nice in a Stage-shaped package, with a massively updated interface. That sort of thing doesn't happen overnight.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

Well... I don't Care about it .

So why take the time to dismiss it in public?

I am still happy with my ELECTRO 4 and my KURZ PC3K8 :)

Great! It's a very capable combination, with a great sound ;)

Not seeing anything about the updated organ and rotary engine. Have they upgraded their 'flagship' model without bringing the organ engine to the same standard as the new Electros?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

No, they haven't. The point I was making is that they'll only release something with the name "Stage 3" when they've made sure that it's got all their latest technology under the hood. In the meantime, thoroughly test the individual components first, it makes bug squashing a lot easier!

NEW The Nord Stage 2 EX HP76 has the extremely lightweight Hammer Action Portable keybed (E-G), the same type as from the Electro 3/4 HP and Piano 2 HP.

I wonder why they changed to using the TP100 action in the 76-key model instead of TP40?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I wonder why they changed to using the TP100 action in the 76-key model instead of TP40?

Beacuse they save about 5 kilos?

To me it makes perfect sense: the reason people buy a 73- or 76-keys piano is portability.

But the 76-key HA Stage weighed basically the same as the 88-key, the weight saving was negligible.

To me, it makes sense that their flagship product offers the complete range of available keybeds: waterfall for organ players, 76-keys TP100 for piano players concerned about weight and size, and 88-keys TP40 for no-compromise piano players (ok, now don't thrash me about the TP-40 keybed, I know, I know!).

;)

Because of the lower weight, I guess..? :wave:

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

It seems like a good incremental upgrade, but I'm wondering why not at least the SW73 to have drawfaders yet? That would further ensure a market for an "EX" model right now, instead of just waiting for 2 more years for the Stage 3, which is obviously coming.

Perhaps too many letters to silkscreen?

Here for the gear.

Damn. Just bought a non EX one. I knew it.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The Stage 3 probably needs to be totally retooled in order to try to play catch up with the new Montage which will blow away all keyboards ever.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Because of the lower weight, I guess..? :wave:

Sure. The specs aren't available, but when the Stage 2 HA76 (36 lb.) is compared to a Nord Piano 2 HP73 with the TP100 keybed (~25 lb.), the difference is 11 lbs. I imagine the Stage 2 EX HP76 weight will be close to 25+ lbs.

But as much grief as the TP100 action has received from folks here and on other forums, I expected Nord to stick with the TP40 in their flagship Stage lineup.

I assume that their marketing data shows that less weight, 11 pounds, is more important to their users than the superior action of the TP40. Or it could be that Nord wanted to reduce their manufacturing costs in order to make a wider delta between the MAP of the Stage2 EX 88 and the Stage 2 EX HP76.

Wasn't the price of the Nord Piano 2 HP73 reduced after it hit the market? Could this be because serious pianists who decided to purchase the 73-key version instead of the 88-key (TP40 keybed) version were put off by the TP100 keybed?

Perhaps improvements have been made to the TP100 keybed since I purchased my Electro 3 HP. I hope so.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The Stage 3 probably needs to be totally retooled in order to try to play catch up with the new Montage which will blow away all keyboards ever.

Well - one of the biggest selling point of the Nord keyboards have always been the user interface. IMHO not the same can be said about Yamahas... Also - similar was statements were said about the Kronos - that it will kill all competition, but Nord, Kurzweil, Yamaha and Roland are still selling a lot of keyboards... :wave:

Sure. The specs aren't available, but when the Stage 2 HA76 (36 lb.) is compared to a Nord Piano 2 HP73 with the TP100 keybed (~25 lb.), the difference is 11 lbs. I imagine the Stage 2 EX HP76 weight will be close to 25+ lbs.

Yes, the spec is not yet available, but on the first page it says "Weighing only 12 kg (27,3 lb)". The old Stage 2 HA76 was 16,5 kg (36 lb).

The TP100 on the Stage 2EX will probably feel a bit different than that of the Electro 3HP, since the Stage 2EX has aftertouch. Then the question is if it will feel better or worse... :)

About the sw73, which is the Stage 2 model I have - it's great that the sw73 has a low E, but kinda stupid, IMHO, that they removed the top F to get the low E... I would prefer a 76 note E to G... well well, you can't make everyone happy... :)

I wonder why they wouldn't expand the sample memory in the synth section from 300MB. Sure, expanding the piano section is nice, but I could do a lot more with 1GB of sample memory space.

+1

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Seriously I don't how see anyone can be critical of Nord for rate at which they have been releasing new product from their pipeline.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yes, the spec is not yet available, but on the first page it says "Weighing only 12 kg (27,3 lb)". The old Stage 2 HA76 was 16,5 kg (36 lb).

The TP100 on the Stage 2EX will probably feel a bit different than that of the Electro 3HP, since the Stage 2EX has aftertouch. Then the question is if it will feel better or worse... :)

Good catch, Mr. Tobbe.

And you have a good point regarding the addition of aftertouch.

Hopefully there have been improvements on the keybed.

Tom

Seriously I don't see anyone can be critical of Nord for rate at which they have been releasing new product from their pipeline.
I'm not a fan of Nord, but like every other manufacturer, I'm sure they need to squeeze every penny from current models before releasing new products. In their defense it might also be due to current price they pay for technology (ie-memory.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Very surprised about no update to the B3 model. I would have expected Nord would bring their flagship stage keyboard up to the standard of the Electro series.

Maybe there is hope the hardware has been updated so they can add it in an O/S update......

Well - one of the biggest selling point of the Nord keyboards have always been the user interface. IMHO not the same can be said about Yamahas... Also - similar was statements were said about the Kronos - that it will kill all competition, but Nord, Kurzweil, Yamaha and Roland are still selling a lot of keyboards... :wave:

I agree the UI on my old NordLeads and NordPiano are a study in simplicity and ergonomics, but to me the Stage has always been utterly confusing. The traditional workstation layout makes much more sense to me.

Where did you read that the EX has aftertouch? I can't find anything about it on the product page?

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Where did you read that the EX has aftertouch? I can't find anything about it on the product page?

The Stage 2 has aftertouch.

I doubt that Nord removed it in the Stage 2 EX, although Fatar doesn't list it on their website as an option for the TP/100 keybed. Aftertouch is listed as an option on the TP/40.

Where did you read that the EX has aftertouch?

I doubt that Nord removed it in the Stage 2 EX

+1

Fatar doesn't list it on their website as an option for the TP/100 keybed.

Here's one example of a keyboard with the TP100 keybed, that has aftertouch - the Fatar Studiologic Numa Nano:

http://www.studiologic-music.com/numa-nano-specifications.html

I doubt that Nord removed it in the Stage 2 EX, although Fatar doesn't list it on their website as an option for the TP/100 keybed. Aftertouch is listed as an option on the TP/40.

I see. I'm sure you're correct, it just seems odd to me that it is not mentioned at all on the EX' product page.

And even weirder that Fatar doesn't list it as an option.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I see. I'm sure you're correct, it just seems odd to me that it is not mentioned at all on the EX' product page.

And even weirder that Fatar doesn't list it as an option.

There have been weirder things... :laugh:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rScBRKlTdoE/SjPS5DXrdJI/AAAAAAAAUVA/K3nNZpzivzw/s400/!BUUGoK!!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLlyiyvBKM7KtI3wQ~~_3.JPG

Interesting upgrade, but not enough to really get me interested.

Yes, I'd like more memory for piano samples, but it's not a huge deal -- although those big XL samples can take a long time load -- faster USB and/or flash write speed?

Although the current Stage 2 keybed is adequate for acoustic piano players like me, it's not nearly as nice as the one on the Piano 2 to my spastic fingers. Getting this bit right would be nice.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The 73 Compact is now E to E, That is the only big improvement. More piano memory... who was really clamoring for that?

Did they finally fix the bend range (more than just +-2 steps)? More than one layer in samples? Update the organ sound that is really long in the tooth at this point? Add drawbars?

On the bright side, it won't drop the resale value of my NS2 Compact.

Archived