Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hand cramps

SEHpicker

Sometimes around the 3rd or 4th set - after playing a lot of technical riffs and really pushing my fretting hand - I started to get cramps. This was a HUGE problem for me. Right in the middle of some complex run - BAM - left hand would lock up and I'd have to take a break. Usually running hot water over my hand would fix things long enough to finish the set. But I wanted to end this dilemma permanently. I did the whole magnesium deal, ate bananas, drank ridiculous amounts of water - nothing worked.

Recently I found an Amish product called "STOPS LEG AND FOOT CRAMPS in about one minute" really - that's what it's called.

I cannot recommend this stuff strongly enough. The ingredients are ginger, garlic and apple cider vinegar. Nothing I have ever tried before worked - this stuff worked like magic. I've tested it over the last 5 gigs just to be sure - and the results could not have been better. Totally eliminated the cramps. A couple of capfuls and your set for the next 12 hours - or more.

I'm not sure how many of you out there have had this problem - but now you know the solution.

Here is a link if you are interested: STOPS CRAMPS

BTW - I am in no way affiliated or receive compensation for this recommendation - just wanted you all to know about it.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes around the 3rd or 4th set - after playing a lot of technical riffs and really pushing my fretting hand - I started to get cramps. This was a HUGE problem for me. Right in the middle of some complex run - BAM - left hand would lock up and I'd have to take a break. Usually running hot water over my hand would fix things long enough to finish the set. But I wanted to end this dilemma permanently. I did the whole magnesium deal, ate bananas, drank ridiculous amounts of water - nothing worked.

Recently I found an Amish product called "STOPS LEG AND FOOT CRAMPS in about one minute" really - that's what it's called.

I cannot recommend this stuff strongly enough. The ingredients are ginger, garlic and apple cider vinegar. Nothing I have ever tried before worked - this stuff worked like magic. I've tested it over the last 5 gigs just to be sure - and the results could not have been better. Totally eliminated the cramps. A couple of capfuls and your set for the next 12 hours - or more.

I'm not sure how many of you out there have had this problem - but now you know the solution.

Here is a link if you are interested: STOPS CRAMPS

BTW - I am in no way affiliated or receive compensation for this recommendation - just wanted you all to know about it.

Interesting... Thanks! I have seemingly random cramp troubles in the thick, fleshy web area between my thumb and finger; and also even more random cramping, contorting trouble through my hand and fingers. (Both concerning the fretting-hand.) Not often, but even once is too often. I say random, as it does not seem to coincide with or respond to anything in particular. I'll likely give this a spin...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the info...when you say cramps, are you talking about pain in the hands? Do your finger muscles and joints stop working? I started taking Evening of Primrose Oil a couple of months ago and my swelling went away and my pain is reduced by about 60% now. My finger muscles and joints are working fine. If this product removes pain, I would like to give it a try...
Take care, Larryz

Thanks for the info...when you say cramps, are you talking about pain in the hands? Do your finger muscles and joints stop working? I started taking Evening of Primrose Oil a couple of months ago and my swelling went away and my pain is reduced by about 60% now. My finger muscles and joints are working fine. If this product removes pain, I would like to give it a try...

I'm pretty sure that it's specifically intended to reduce muscle-cramping, and not directly affect pain.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caev, I too, get pain in that area of the hand when engaged in other endeavors. Never happened while playing though. But then again, I don't play with that much intensity.( my fingers don't BLEED either! :D )

But, there's also no swelling, so I don't know if Larry's suggestion will work for me, but I'll keep it in mind!

Usually, just stopping what causes it at the time, and rapidly opening and closing a fist will work it out. But what's maddening is that it happens when I'm NOT, IMHO, doing anything that should WARRANT it! My FEAR is that when it happens while I'm assisting my wife, that my GRIP will give way, causing her to fall and get injured. She has severe diabetic peripheral neuropathy, and I'm her primary caregiver.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

@ Fang, I'm type II diabetic and that's why I tried Evening of Primrose oil. It has been taken by women for menstrual cramps since Egyptian times (not that I have that problem LOL!). It was found that it also helps with diabetic neuropathy and arthritis pain.

@ Caevan, I think you may be right and it might not help with pain. I didn't see "pain" mentioned on the product website. Although, I have had leg cramps on rare occasions at night and they are quite painful. I usually just stand up and put pressure on the leg and it goes away...

Take care, Larryz

Yeah Larry - this is just for cramps not pain - (although cramps can be really painful) - most people use it for night time leg cramps - I don't have those but it works for hand cramps very well.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

And, thank YOU, Larry....I'll take a look for it.

Incidentally, Queen Victoria used to drink a TEA brewed from CANNABIS leaves for menstrual cramps! I suppose this is how weed got to be CALLED "tea" back in the day!( recall in "West Side Story", in the song, "Gee, officer Krupsky", one of the thugs sings, ..."My Grandma Pushes TEA!" ?)

Whitefang

interesting.

I've discussed it here before...

I started to get the "carpal Tunnel Claw" lock up during long sets.

The solution I found was mechanical... I was holding the guitar and fretting incorrectly. I looked around for others having the problem and found people discussing it somewhere, and a guy shared the solution: go back to the method of fretting and holding the neck offered in the old Mel Bay books that we'd all brushed off as teenagers. Your thumb is strongest on the back of the neck if it is pointed upward (perpendicular to the neck), and weakest is it is pointed sideways, parallel to the neck... and also, you're supposed to apply pressure to the strings by pulling from your shoulder, not by pulling from your wrist.

But I'll try your solution, too.

@ p90jr - I did some research about proper hand positioning too - but as it turned out, I am holding the neck and fretting properly. I never had any issues with cramping up until about a year or so ago. It didn't start happening regularly until recently - then I got determined to find a solution. I'm 59 so the age thing might be a factor. It really sucks to be "in the moment" and then try to play through it as your hand locks up.

Finding this product was a revelation for me - I was thinking that my gigging days were numbered - now I feel like I got a new lease and can play for many more years. :laugh:

SEHpicker

I'm NOT trying to make any of you feel bad, but....I've NEVER had my hands cramp up while playing(BRAIN, maybe :D ).

I HAVE however, gotten very sore and TIRED fingertips, due mostly I suppose, from playing a guitar with WAY too heavy a string guage on a guitar with WAY too high ACTION!

I've noticed in recent years----

Since I startd using those Elixir "light/Medium" strings, and adjusted my bridge saddle for lower "action", the problem had been eradicated.

Sadly, it didn't make the playing BETTER :( but FAR more enjoyable! :)

Whitefang

I'm just getting older LOL! I thought my days were numbered too for awhile, but then I think of Django and Les Paul and get right back in the saddle again. I hold my thumb both ways as parallel is easier for bar chords and perpendicular is great for added bass notes and runs...I do try to keep the pressure off as much as possible... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Also, for a short while, since I've been SO accustomed to playing a guitar with heavier strings and bad action, that when I finally got the lighter strings, and fixed the action, that "out of habit", I was STILL pressing too hard on the strings and causing the same soreness!

As many of us ex dopers and ex smokers know....

BAD HABITS are the HARDEST TO BREAK! :D

Whitefang

Archived