Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Basic (?) MIDI routing question

BluMunk

I apologize in advance for what is probably an easy question.

I am using a PC3Le to drive a Roland Integra. I am also using an RD 700GX for its keybed only, also driving the integra.

I am struggling with figuring out how to get the midi info from the RD into the Integra. Is there a way to get the MIDI output from the PC3Le to also go out through its MIDI thru port?

I'd rather not bring another piece of gear to route the MIDI if I don't have to.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So right now, if I do that, midi from the RD does't pass through to the integra. If I use the MIdI thru from the pc3 to the integra, then midi from the RD gets to it, but nothing from the pc3 passes through.

So right now, if I do that, midi from the RD does't pass through to the integra. If I use the MIdI thru from the pc3 to the integra, then midi from the RD gets to it, but nothing from the pc3 passes through.

The RD MIDI will pass thru once you configure your Kurz to do it - you shouldn't need another box. Sit tight and hopefully some Kurz owners will chime in with the correct set-up info for you.

Get the Quadra Merge if you go with a MIDI Solutions, they are programmable, and excellent build quality.

Merge is great, but trust me you will want to use more Inputs eventually, so get Quadra to keep you from buying 2 x MIDI Merge Input boxes...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The RD MIDI will pass thru once you configure your Kurz to do it - you shouldn't need another box. Sit tight and hopefully some Kurz owners will chime in with the correct set-up info for you.

Your configuration comment infers that the Kurz does midi merge, but it does not. Also, midi thru is a copy of midi in, so the kurz' midi data will not pass to it (standard midi protocol). If the Kurz did midi merge then the solution would be RD out to Kurz In, then Kurz Out to the Integra In where the Kurz midi In from the RD and the info from the Kurz would be merged to the Kurz Midi out, carrying both the Kurz and RD info. Since the Kurz doesn't do midi merge then this solution won't work correctly. This is why Adam recommended the Midi Solution merge box.

If the RD does Midi Merge then do Kurz out to RD In, the RD out to the Integra In. Check the specs on the RD and see if it has Midi Merge capability, although I doubt it.

Correct, for the very reasons I just explained above.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I haven't used the PC3LE much, but in the regular PC3 (and K) you can route any 'input channel' to any destination (int/midi/usbmidi and any combination). For instance, when I use my Kronos, I have it set to channel 16. On the PC3, ch 16 is set to "off", and then I choose where ch 16 goes. MIDI goes Kronos ->PC3in->PC3out. If I want to play my SE1X which is on ch 14, I set up a zone set to MIDI on ch 14 with input channel 16. Then I assign key range and midi controllers - voilà..!

Your configuration comment infers that the Kurz does midi merge, but it does not. Also, midi thru is a copy of midi in, so the kurz' midi data will not pass to it (standard midi protocol). If the Kurz did midi merge then the solution would be RD out to Kurz In, then Kurz Out to the Integra In where the Kurz midi In from the RD and the info from the Kurz would be merged to the Kurz Midi out, carrying both the Kurz and RD info. Since the Kurz doesn't do midi merge then this solution won't work correctly. This is why Adam recommended the Midi Solution merge box.

Actually, I implied - you inferred. :D

I was going by what I found in the PC3LE manual:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/ajot45.jpg

^^ Isn't what is stated in the highlighted portion exactly what BluMunk is trying to do? ^^ :idk

Also read my first comment - I didn't say to go out of the Kurz's MIDI THRU to the Integra; I said connect the Integra's MIDI IN from the Kurz's MIDI OUT. My "thru" comment meant the RD MIDI data should pass "thru" (through) the Kurz and to the MIDI OUT, as the manual suggests.

Thanks for the help all. Analogaddict's advice pointed me in the right direction. There's an "InputChannel" option in each setup zone that by default is set to "None." Its options include "Local" and "Midi" channel. If I set it to a specific Midi channel (or to "all Midi" channels), then the Midi in will control that zone.

Archived