Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

StaffPad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if they'll release this for the iPad Pro?

Only a matter of time. Either they can licence it really soon, or Apple will be releasing their own version within a year. Still, either way, Apple will be undercutting this soon enough with their own technology.

This OCR for music notation technology is still young. Even with Staff Pad, which is to date the most serious of efforts to do this right, you need to learn how to use the app and alter your writing for proper recognition. I compare this to the Palm Pilot from some years ago with its special alphabet you had to adapt to.

There will come a day when interpretation of hand written music notation is superb. Who knows, maybe the iPad Pro and iOS is the platform. But we're not there yet.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 weeks later...

I use this app with the Surface Pro 3, it takes a little getting use to but works remarkably well.

Beaming & rests are the most challenging aspects, you really have to be accurate & deliberate with the lines on beams and legibility on rests.

I use MuseScore2 mostly for charting & the Music XML output seems to be compatible between the two. It is nice to have both options. I can sit by the pool with stylus & surface and jot things down on a staff, sweet!

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

Someone said this won't do 1st/2nd endings for fake book type of charts. Can it do basic repeats or DS/jump to the coda at the D section type stuff? Or is this for liner "read it from beginning to end" scores only?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Has anyone tried this with a Surface 2?

Googling it yield no results, and empirical anecdotes are probably more reliable.

From this thread, and the StaffPad site:

any Windows 8.1 device with active pen and touch support should work just fine.

Surface 2 does not offer the active pen.

Has anyone tried this with a Surface 2?

Googling it yield no results, and empirical anecdotes are probably more reliable.

From this thread, and the StaffPad site:

any Windows 8.1 device with active pen and touch support should work just fine.

Surface 2 does not offer the active pen.

Thanks for that! Being a Mac guy myself, that info was not readily apparent.

Someone said this won't do 1st/2nd endings for fake book type of charts. Can it do basic repeats or DS/jump to the coda at the D section type stuff? Or is this for liner "read it from beginning to end" scores only?

Bob

It does 1st & 2nd endings (nothing greater than 2nd yet though). It plays back properly. Barlines can be switched to begin, end, or begin/end repeats .. as well as double & final.

It doesn't do DS symbols or codas yet.

It does slash notation & you can add chord changes above the staff as text, so it does ok on lead sheets.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

Cool, thanks. That's more than I thought it could do. Since it has that much already it shouldn't be that hard to add the rest.

He says, not being a programmer...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the race is on. I look forward to seeing more details.

When I first heard about StaffPad, I checked out the discussions on the Sibelius and Finale forums. Amusingly, they consisted largely of people griping about how it was a step backward because they could enter notes faster using whatever keyboard/keypad combination they'd grown accustomed to. I felt like saying, "Think back to the first day you started learning whatever process you now use for inputting notes. And imagine that at that moment, a time traveler from the future showed up with a tablet and said, 'You can either do it like that, or you can just write the notes by hand on this screen with this piece of plastic, and the software will integrate them.' Do you really think you would have even bothered to learn this clunky, counterintuitive process that you've now mastered simply by virtue of having had to do it over and over? Or would you have been happy to just write the notes on the magic screen with the magic pen, like you probably wished you could do at that moment -- even if you knew that some months or years down the road, the clunky option might end up being a little faster?"

Indeed, I think part of the problem with recognition problems in these applications is because they haven't focused advancements in AI on it yet. Since music is a language I think interpretation of the symbolic writing will take off once a computer mind has learned to read and perform sheet music similarly to the way we do. Will we all be out of a job then? Who knows, from what I've been reading there will be very few jobs AI and robotics can't do.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up.

Dreamchilde, how's it going with your Surface 3?

I've made a resolution to upgrade my musical life to all digital so I'm deciding between a Surface Pro or a 2 in 1 laptop with a digitized touchscreen . I want to use charts, fakebooks set lists etc on stage and Staffpad at home. I've read about Android emulators and talked to a couple of guys about that who use them and apparently they work very well. That means the Android apps for iReal Pro, PDF management, setlist and all that should work well on a PC or Surface.

Any comments?

Bob

I bought a Surface last year, prompted largely by the desire for Staffpad. My hope was that I could use Staffpad during my commute on the train.

I quickly found out that Staffpad required some work to get used to the interface, and was not ideally suited for someone with naturally awful handwriting. But more important for me, the train ride proved far too bumpy to be able to use this application.

I'm not sorry I bought the Surface. I think I still might spend time with Staffpad, and learn to love it ultimately. And I've used the Surface to read music for some gigs.

One thing I have yet to do, but have been meaning to do, is to get an Android emulator and see if I can run iRealPro and other stuff. The Surface is a nice tool that I regularly use for work and to read the newspaper, but I don't think I've scratched the surface for music applications.

Archived