Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland (FA 06) studio set programming question

Morizzle

Hi guys,

I'm digging into my new Roland Fa-06 and have fun programming keyboard parts some cheesy 80's synth tunes for an upcoming gig (just doing the Ghostbusters Theme :) ).

I'm building a Studio Set and want to use two synth sounds without the delay effect that's preprogrammed into the tones. When I turn it off via the Effects Edit, it's gone, until I save the Studio Set and all changes I made to the tone are discarded.

So following the manual I guess I have to first save the tone to the user bank without the delay effect to be able to use it in the Studio Set? I reckon I'll be using up my 128 User slots pretty fast. Would there be any other way to get rid of the effects on a tone?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there are 512 user voice spots and the same number of studio sets. save the voice then the studio set. however, you should be able to adjust the fx level in the effect edit screen. I don't have mine set up to check right now.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Don't worry about running out of user tones, you have 512 to blow. Like you, at first I grudged using up user slots just to create duplicate patches with different effects. I've created tonnes since however, and have imported most of the possible integra sounds, and still have more slots left than I could ever hope to use.

You could manually change the FX each time you go onto the studio set, but that can be a pain. Better just saving the tone, then saving the studio set.

Alternatively, isn't there a built in tone that sounds similar without the effect? The 40+ saw leads you get get pretty similar after a while - for many of them the only noticeable differences are the effects they carry.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Hey Dan and Jordan,

thanks for the replies. I must have confused something with the available user slots, there are indeed 512 and that seems to be plenty. Also Jordan you're right about the alternative sounds without effects. Seems like I have to go menu diving again :)

On a sidenote, how do you guys organize your setlist? External apps, a master controller or by plain old scrolling to the right sound before count-off?

About Set List organization I use my Master controller, Yamaha Master Mode on the S90XS to call everything. I hope to use Korg Set List to do the same thing when I get my new 88.

There is something called SetList Maker that runs on a tablet many guys rave about.

To me set list management is a weakness on the FA but it might be because there is something I don't know or I am just too much a Yamaha guy set in his ways.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have one studio set devoted to individual bread and butter tones (basic AP, EP, Organ, etc), one dedicated to individual pad/chord tones, one dedicated to string sets, one that I use for most of my lead brass parts, and one dedicated to individual synth lead/polysynth tones. Pads are set to part select (unless I'm using the sampler), so bringing up tones I need can be done in a single button press once I have the SS up.

I've around 35 Studio sets that I use in total (for now, grows every month it seems...) for more complex song setups/different bands and projects. Sometimes I just scroll along if I'm in no rush. I've got pretty good at that. Though I also use the favourite buttons. One favourite button will be set to studio set 1, another is set to studio set 10, then 18, 25, etc. Means I can hit the favourite button then quickly move to any studio set near that location.

I also have a couple of favourite slots reserved for studio sets dedicated to songs that have keyboard only intros. This means if a band member/leader shouts out a keyboard based tune on the fly/skips a song in the setlist and I'm expected to start it on the spot, I don't have to panic and find it - I can get it in 1 button press.

I bought setlist maker, but don't really use it. I'm too lazy to MIDI my boards up for weekend gigs, and for those I've got most song setups burned into my memory anyways so I can pull up setups for most songs without even thinking about it.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Though I also use the favourite buttons. One favourite button will be set to studio set 1, another is set to studio set 10, then 18, 25, etc. Means I can hit the favourite button then quickly move to any studio set near that location.

I also have a couple of favourite slots reserved for studio sets dedicated to songs that have keyboard only intros. This means if a band member/leader shouts out a keyboard based tune on the fly/skips a song in the setlist and I'm expected to start it on the spot, I don't have to panic and find it - I can get it in 1 button press.

:thu: Thanks, great advice! I'm going to set that up.

Hey Dan and Jordan,

On a sidenote, how do you guys organize your setlist? External apps, a master controller or by plain old scrolling to the right sound before count-off?

For one band that takes little to no time between songs, I use the pads set to numeric mode and punch up the studio set number I need. I have over 50 studio sets programmed for that band and our set list changes gig to gig, so putting them in any kind of order isn't really productive.

For my Floyd band, where there is a little more time between songs and I use the sampler pads extensively, I use the scroll wheel to select the studio set. I have songs that we typically play in the same order, like Dark Side of the Moon, all in a row so I can scroll easily. I only have about 20 studio sets for that band so it's easy enough to scroll to the sound I need.

For both bands I have the studio set send program changes to my Hammond and in the case of the Floyd band, have the Hammond send program changes to my Ultranova, so the FA08 is the only board I need to touch for program changes.

I use an excel spreadsheet with the song name and studio set number for both bands so I'm not fishing around for the right patch.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

For both bands I have the studio set send program changes to my Hammond

I was unaware the FA could send programme changes - I thought it could only receive them.

It sort of sends program change... not in the traditional sense we're used to with workstations.

If you pull up Studio Set 1 on the FA, it will call up program 1 on whatever is connected and on the same MIDI channel.

As you know, you can't tell the FA what MSB/LSB/PC to send.

It's why I use my MOX as a Master to send PC to the FA

It is on most everyone's wishlist for Roland to include this most basic of workstation functions to a software update.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Archived