Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are keyboard players better or worse because of technology

bennyray

The tech of pipe organs and clavichords of the 16th and 17th century eventually put meistersingers out of business. 18th century industrial standardization of symphonic instruments put viola de gam-bas and crumhorns out of business. To say that the right amount of tech is the amount we got now (or x years ago) is to say that ones age and ability just happens to be near a signpost found in nature with respect to music and progress (which it is not). Tech will always be good for musicians but maybe not for the older musicians some of us are now. I'm 62. Music keeps redesigning itself. Check out Ableton software and the Push controller. Those people have practiced. The art is new and in a timbral landscape not really accessed before and there pushing 'start' buttons like I can't -- yet "History never repeats, but it does sometimes rhyme." Mark Twain.

There are three kinds of musicians,

those who can count and

those who can't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without technology I couldn't cover this.

:laugh:

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

After the passing of Rachmaninoff it has all been going to shit. :laugh:

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

This killed me. Maybe because it transcends keyboard players?

All I know is, I don't suck any more or less than when I had a real acoustic piano to pound on. I never played any Rachmaninoff (that I can recall), so I guess I can thank him for that. :laugh:

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I think we are better off.

I feel much better about practicing when I can do it outdoors. I can take a Numa organ or a Yamaha P-35 out to my backyard and get lost in it for hours, now that the weather is breaking.

I feel much better about practicing when I can do it outdoors.

+1

I played an outdoor gig at a local park last year... just set up at one of the pavilions and jammed. Not a big crowd, but the fresh air and beautiful scenery were more than enough.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The tech of pipe organs and clavichords of the 16th and 17th century eventually put meistersingers out of business. 18th century industrial standardization of symphonic instruments put viola de gam-bas and crumhorns out of business. To say that the right amount of tech is the amount we got now (or x years ago) is to say that ones age and ability just happens to be near a signpost found in nature with respect to music and progress (which it is not). Tech will always be good for musicians but maybe not for the older musicians some of us are now. I'm 62. Music keeps redesigning itself. Check out Ableton software and the Push controller. Those people have practiced. The art is new and in a timbral landscape not really accessed before and there pushing 'start' buttons like I can't -- yet "History never repeats, but it does sometimes rhyme." Mark Twain.

Surprised at 62 you would think that as the state of the whole music industry in general is pretty bad if you look at the whole picture.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Technology is just a tool that allows creative folks to express themselves.

Whenever this type of discussion comes up, I think about musicians like Stevie Wonder and Herbie Hancock. They have played the "vintage" gear. Yet, these same musicians have also embraced the "latest" technology and incorporated it into their music-making process.

IMO, KB players are not any better or worse because of technology. Musicians in general are only limited by their imagination and creativity. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've always figured that the technology tools are great for musicians and aspiring musicians, but not necessarily so great for the ultimate music consumer/listener, so it's two separate questions. Good for the musicians because it's just democratized, anyone can not only listen to and learn anything they want and have way more options as far as getting the sounds they want, they can also actually fairly easily create and realize their own music. From the perspective of anybody who wants to create music, these are big advantages. But it waters down the quality of the finished product that then goes out into the world because, well, because everybody who wants to, can and does do it with no obstacles. There's more music created and available but no guarantee that any particular percentage of it will actually be any good and probably lots more made that in fact isn't that good.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

My perspective on Pop Music is greatly shaped by putting myself through college by playing in a 50's 60's pre British Invasion Rock 'n' Roll review show.

Current music industry is not THAT bad. I mean Surfer Bird, Woolly Bully, and One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater were not exactly Vivaldi's Four Seasons. :laugh:

Old people like to bitch about young people music. There is a serious drop off in the Piano lesson business but the ones who learn seem to do OK as far as I can tell.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There's more music created and available but no guarantee that any particular percentage of it will actually be any good and probably lots more made that in fact isn't that good.

In every decade, these is good and bad music. The good stuff will survive and stand the tests of time. The BS will join the proverbial heap.

Old people like to bitch about young people music. There is a serious drop off in the Piano lesson business but the ones who learn seem to do OK as far as I can tell.

There will always be folks that are gifted and talented. Cream rises to the top. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I always had semi-orchestral things in mind, but the technology didn't just make me "better;" it made it possible for some of that music to exist, period. "Better" is a blanket term that doesn't look at it from enough angles. Its better when a Nord Stage saves a player's back and does the work with 30% of the sweat because you don't need a stack of three 'boards. Its better because I can drop in jaw harps or pipe organs wherever I like in my DAW. I suppose it sounds a bit hippiefied, but the technology doesn't MAKE me do anything; it allows me to sound like myself. Sometimes that can be a bit flatulent, :sick: but at least its not fettered by any meaningful technical issues now.

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"

No it doesn't make you do anything. It does however make it easier for a lot of so called musicians put bullshit on the radio.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Well, I wanna get some junk on the radio and make some money too :)

Brett

Sample and loop snippets from an old hit record.

Add drums, a bass line and a few other elements.

Find a good rapper. Come up with a strong catchy hook.

Record, mix and master it.

Shoot a low budget video. Upload it to Youtube.

Do whatever it takes to push the view count.

Eventually sponsors will come.

Watch the $$$ pile up. :laugh::cool:

PD

Archived