Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line Mixers

Gary75

Me and my friend have got a duo going, it's a function duo doing reception piano/vox easy listening music as well as uptempo dance/electronica for the night time. We both play keys and he sings. We are in the process of buying a PA system and that includes mixing desk. Now as his vocal mic is going into a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 and outputting a stereo line level, there's no need for a mic input between us.

With that in mind, I thought a line mixer would be best. I have seen some rack units, but was wondering what you could recommend? Can you buy a conventional style mixing desk for line without mic inputs, or is it only in rack form?

What would you have south of that seeing as a rack mixer has no master eq/comp on board as far as I'm aware.

I think we are looking at Yamaha DXR12's with a bin.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what "with a bin" means in your colloquialism across the pond.

Rack line mixers, I typically think of 1U units like the Ashly 308B, which is a very quality piece of kit. Less expensive alternatives abound (Alesis, Samson, etc.). Some have a mic preamp or two, but that sounds irrelevant for your described needs. What all seem to share is lack of on-board EQ or other processing.

Dave Ferris has noted he's gone with a very high end option for mixer, don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I believe cost was around $2K - perhaps more than you're budgeting despite the quality gains.

Yes, all the small format 'conventional' mixers can be used for line inputs only. Most provide line inputs for all the channels (in addition to the mic preamps provided on some or all channels). I have Yamaha 10/2 and A&H ZED10 small desk format mixers, as well as Ashly 308 and Alesis 8ch 1U rack mixers (the Alesis offers one mic input). Sounds like any of these might suit your needs, depending on your EQ / FX requirements.

Sorry, yes, by a bin, I meant a sub bass speaker.. I'm not fussed about channel fx as all of the equipment has onboard fx. I was thinking of output fx, in terms of eq/comp/feedback eliminator. I was thinking I could get something to go south of the line mixer to serve as an output master fx.

We are looking at using 7-8 stereo pairs for the equipment. It just seems that to get 7-8 dedicated stereo channels on a standard desk with xlr channels, it'd be massive! We just don't need xlr's so would rather get an 8 channel stereo line rack mixer, than a 16 channel desk and having to split and pan the mono channels. Usually on a 16 channel desk only 2-4 channels are dedicated stereo line in.

I've had great luck with the Behringer RX-1602 line mixer. It's a very versatile piece. You might want to check it out.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Another vote for the RX1602. Been using one for a few years in a multi-keys live rig. Not sure about using it for recording, never tried it for anything but stage, but it's very usable live.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I had the behringer 1602 in my studio for years. No issues at all. When I re-did my setup last year I went with the samson sm10. If I could do it all over again I'd probably save the Money and just keep the 1602. The samson does have xlr outputs and the first two channels offer xlr inputs, which i do use.

Nobody's piped in with this, but take a look at the Behringer XR12. It's not shipping now till "summer", but looks like a great package for a line mixer. 2 space, remote controlled, and channel fx, with 4 outs (main/Aux). There's a XR16 model too, about twice as much.

When I was looking, I realized there was just alot more to this mixer then a line mixer provides.

"May you stay...forever young."

I've been using the RX1602 for a number of years in my road rack. A nice simple, decent piece of gear.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I sold my Ashley line mixer when my 80's band more or less fizzled out, as I stopped gigging on keys after joining a keyboardist-led jazz combo on bass :-).

Great line mixer; excellent sound and several connection options. I seem to recall that a sub out was one of them. Model was LX-308B IIRC.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I would also second the "look at the XR-12" recommendation. I would also caution you that you should have at least one mic pre no matter what you get. Stuff happens.

I have an RX1202FX and like it a lot. I bought it to sub-mix keys, but also use it on occasion to run a small PA system. This is a 3U mixer with 8 line/mic channels and 2 stereo line-only channels. It has channel inserts on the mono channels, high/lo EQ, and two aux sends, one pre- and one post-fader. The post-fader aux send can be sent to the internal effects unit. The effects are not Lexicon, but they are okay.

Something to think about - depending on your speakers/sub, you might need a crossover of some kind, and some EQ wouldn't hurt, either. I have a dbx Driverack PX that I picked up on closeout last year that is perfect for that job. A 1U box with EQ, automatic feedback suppression, compressor, limiter, and crossover. The mains EQ is a 28-band graphic, the sub EQ is parametric, I forget how many filters. Six I think?

The AFS in the dbx is the only AFS I would *ever* think about using on mains; it is quite hard trigger, but very narrow (1/100th of an octave), and you can set it up to release filters after a specified time. Perfect for catching a mic pointing at a speaker or a really really bad room mode, but not the best tool if you are trying to achieve higher GBF. The GEQ is probably better for that (within sensible limits).

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thank you Wes for pointing out that drive rack unit. I was hoping to find an all in one device.

I am not a PA guy, but I know more than my friend, but it's still quite daunting as its all of his money for the equipment so I'm trying to choose wisely.

I had a Behringer 1602 myself a few years ago, but as you point out, it would be wise to have some form of mic channel. I decided the Samson SM10 looked feasible. I then looked at an Art HQ231 EQ/Feedback Eliminator, and then another rack with comp/limit facilities.

But the Driverack all in one looks really cool for what we need. That coupled with the SM10 should? do the job for an all line level gig.

We settled on the Yamaha DSX12's with DXS15 sub.

I sold my Ashley line mixer when my 80's band more or less fizzled out, as I stopped gigging on keys after joining a keyboardist-led jazz combo on bass :-).

Great line mixer; excellent sound and several connection options. I seem to recall that a sub out was one of them. Model was LX-308B IIRC.

I still have an Ashley LX-308B. Top shelf mixer. :thu:

:nopity:

Archived