Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wakeman? Arp Odyssey? Pads?

pizzafilms

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He says he never used one live because he needed it to be in the same key as everyone else was playing.

Unlike the Minimoog's octave switches for each oscillator, the Odyssey only had (has?) sliders for "coarse" and "fine" tuning. You can't just flip one oscillator up an octave or two and flip it back down on the fly. At least not with any accuracy, which I assume prompted Rick's comment. :cool:

><>

Steve

He says he never used one live because he needed it to be in the same key as everyone else was playing.

dB

Fagan would agree. See from 1:13

[video:youtube]

fixed the link for you. this is hilarious about what he did to his Odyssey. :roll:

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Unlike the Minimoog's octave switches for each oscillator, the Odyssey only had (has?) sliders for "coarse" and "fine" tuning. You can't just flip one oscillator up an octave or two and flip it back down on the fly. At least not with any accuracy, which I assume prompted Rick's comment. :cool:

Well...you can flip BOTH of its oscillators +- 2 octaves with a switch

http://iandimusic.com/weeklynoise/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ArpOdyssey6-e1276658661818.jpg

It´s the big white switch on the left above the vol pot

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

As someone mentioned in the comments below the video, he might be mistaken about what synth he was using. I read about this 20 years ago, and the synth in question was the ARP Soloist, the precursor to the Pro-Soloist, which apparently was a dog of a synthesizer.

I own a white-face Odyssey and it has very stable oscillators.

To the OP's point:

One of the most laughably tragic instances of unresearched copy

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Well...you can flip BOTH of its oscillators +- 2 octaves with a switch

http://iandimusic.com/weeklynoise/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ArpOdyssey6-e1276658661818.jpg

It´s the big white switch on the left above the vol pot

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My first synth was a white faced Oddy like this one. However, I'll say it again...You can't just flip ONE oscillator (Not both) up an octave or two and flip it back down on the fly, as you could do so easily with a Minimoog. BTW, that's not a volume pot - That's the pitch bender. :cool:

><>

Steve

Agreed. I had both a MiniMoog and a whiteface back in the day. I liked the Mini better, but it was far too unstable to gig. The ARP stayed in tune.

I'll vouch that the Oddy stayed in tune much better than the Mini. In my first band I worked with another keyboardist who had a Minimoog. He spent much more time tuning it than I spent with my Oddy - Unless I wanted to tune one of the oscillators up an octave. ;)

><>

Steve

In the NAMM presentation about the Korg Odyssey, they talked about how the original design did address the tuning stability issue, so it should have been more stable than the Mini. I think the issue being raised in the Wakeman conversation is that the Odyssey didn't have a front panel tuning control. I think to tune it, you'd have to independently adjust each oscillator. But yes, once you were up and running at a gig, you presumably wouldn't have to adjust that through the night as you'd be more likely to have to do with a Mini.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I had an early MiniMoog and it would not stay in tune on a gig. It wasn't too bad in a room where the temperate was stable. Like ALL early analogs, it was sensitive to temperature change. After trying for months to make use of the Mini Moog on gigs, I gave up on taking it out of my music room.

The Arp stayed in tune much better. I also found that you could do more with the Arp Odyssey than with the Mini Moog because it had more controls. However, the Mini Moog had a fatter sound. I bought a 2nd Mini Moog some years later and that synth was much more stable than the first one.

As you can see by the PIC in my Profile, I still have my Arp Odyssey and it still works fine. Oh yeah, it doesn't drift all that much after it warms up.

Cheers

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived