Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any reason to not to buy a PC3K8

pcarrilho

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Done!

I ordered a PC3K8 today! :)

thank you all!

I will post some news about my experience with that keyboard ;)

Congrats - I don't think you will be disappointed.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Do you think its better than the NE4D's organ sound?

*Disclaimer: I've never played a real Hammond*

To my ears, the Kurzweil has the edge - if you're prepared to spend some time with it. Out of the box, the Nord is better, but with the Kurz you can tweak the tone wheels, drawbar pitches and FX chains to your heart's content. The Nord's C/V implementation sounds better, but the sounds you can get out of the Kurz's Leslie is just sublime. Once my studio PC starts behaving again, I'd be interested in A/Bing it with PSP L'Otary.

I actually prefer the KB3 engine over my Nord Stage classic organ.

@MorayM: Where can I get BillW's tweaked organ?

You need to subscribe to Cunka's Mastering VAST to get it. It's only 6 AUD for a year (to cover hosting), and for Kurzweil owners it's a no-brainer. There's a real wealth of knowledge there, and tons of cool sounds to download.

Based on online demos and trying the Forte in store, I dislike the Kurzweil KB3 organ emulation, while I liked the Kronos (Oasys) organ when I heard Keith Emerson and Tony Banks using it on stage :)

You may want to find out if the Forte you were using in the store had the version 1.20 update in it. (Version 1.21 is the latest for Forte). The reason I say that is the pre version 1.20 OS Forte did not use the "Double Leslies" from the PC3 series. Which is somewhat a signature sound for Kurzweils and the instrument got it back fully in v1.20. A lot of store models I would dare say still have the older 1.11 OS in it.

The FORTE KB3 modelling, I should add, does not subtract voices from the instruments 128 voices of polyphony.

Do you think its better than the NE4D's organ sound?

*Disclaimer: I've never played a real Hammond*

To my ears, the Kurzweil has the edge - if you're prepared to spend some time with it. Out of the box, the Nord is better, but with the Kurz you can tweak the tone wheels, drawbar pitches and FX chains to your heart's content. The Nord's C/V implementation sounds better, but the sounds you can get out of the Kurz's Leslie is just sublime. Once my studio PC starts behaving again, I'd be interested in A/Bing it with PSP L'Otary.

Ah okey. I will download the tweaked version of the Hammond. To me the Hammond sound of my PC3 is always more "sterile" than my Electro. But I only used the factory sounds.

@Clavinator, I can really recommend signing up at Cunka as well. A good community and for only a few dollars you get A LOT OF sounds!

Rudy

• 2 weeks later...

Quick demo with k-sounds EPIC GRAND. The first one is the stock piano. The other 2, are custom programs that i made for a specific context, using the k-sounds samples (the eq. in it are for a specific mixing context.... but should be fine to give you an ideia about the sounds you cam program with k-sounds samples).

https://soundcloud.com/pedro-carrilho/k-sounds-epic-grand-for-pc3k

Kurzweil PC3K8 - Nord WAVE - Roland VR760

Anyone wanting to make an audio demo the famed BillW sounds?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 3 months later...

Archived