Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using roland jazz chorus as keyboard amp

chrismoog

Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea? It's for a roland FA06. Friends selling this amp for a snip but I'm not experienced enough to know if playing a keyboard through it is a dumb idea. I had a go and sounded ok. Any advice on what amp settings to use (middle, treble etc)?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Years ago i used to play my Rhodes thru a JC120.. I thought it sounded great.. The stereo chorus effect complimented the rhodes nicely. With that said im guessing it would be a better amp to play a true electro/mech board thru like a rhodes/clav/wurly.. I think a digital keyboard might sound a little harsh thru one and there really is no need for effects built into the amp, but maybe not..

It's a guitar amp, not a keyboard amp.

It may sound OK with some sounds, but my advice is to save your money and buy a proper amp or powered speaker.

OTOH, it probably sounds better than this:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/reckb/cabinet/brand_r/r9_kc150_3.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Any recommendations of a powered speaker or amp for an FA06 within the £300 range? Needs some welly for gigs.

Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12" 2-Way Powered Loudspeaker is in that range.

Many people here like them.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

300 pounds you should have NO PROBLEM finding a good used powered speaker, maybe even new.

Stay away from guitar speakers for general purpose keyboard duty. They are voiced completely wrong, especially for stuff like acoustic pianos and deep synth patches.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Are you in London? There's a guy in Kennington on Gumtree who wants #100 for two Behringer B215Ds.

That's really cheap and would sound pretty effing bad-ass.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I played through a Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe for a while. Rhodes, Wurly, and Organ sounded fantastic! Acoustic Piano and Strings sounded horrible (no highs). A breif remedy was to run the amp's secondary output to a full range PA speaker...I had an old Peavey 115H with two piezo tweets. This worked fairly well but looked like a Franken-rig stacked onstage. Also, I think the ohms were mis-matched so never pushed it too hard.

Definately check out the EV ZLX.

Any recommendations of a powered speaker or amp for an FA06 within the £300 range? Needs some welly for gigs.

Discussions on this subject come up here fairly often, since different needs require different solutions. This thread is one of the more comprehensive ones. It's almost two years old now, but most of the discussion is still pretty current. For the money you're willing to spend, you'll probably want to scout out a good used one. Good luck! :thu:

And BTW, don't even think about using a guitar amp for any ROMpler type synth. I've been in a situation where I've had to do that, and it's miserable! :P

><>

Steve

I used it sometimes in a rehearsal studio. I'ts curious on DX7 Rhodes (deply modded) and Oberheim brass type (think of Van Halen's "'ll Wait"), but you hae to re-equalize for these two extremes - doesn't justify acquiring one. There's a lot of better (and less bulkier/heavier) solutions.

Leo Dutra

______

Hammond SK2, Roland SH-201, Yamaha DX7IIDE!

Motion Sound KT-80, Groove Tubes SFX 100 MkII

Hammond EXP50, CU-1, FS9H; Roland DP-10

König & Meyer 18950 & 14065

I played a Stage Rhodes through a JC120A early 80's. More recently I dug out the JC and paired it with my Nord Electro. As others have mentioned, acoustic piano sounded foul, as did any B3.

Rhodes/Wurlie/Clav were OK.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Right. A real Rhodes sounds awesome thru a JC, but not piano of the acoustic variety.

ALTO makes very affordable powered speakers...if they're available over there. I use a pair of tens, which 300 pounds might yield... Or maybe one 12

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Archived