Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amid the gloom pt. 2

skipclone 1

Uh oh.

I did not think about this at all. If I did I would have seen it coming.

Since taking the picture of the free guitar I got, I did a bit of additional tidying. I decided to try a truss rod adjustment and took off the cover. The adjustment didn`t do that much but, in the process I noticed the cover. I`m basically certain it`s real tortoise shell. On inspection I`d wager the pickguard is too.

As is the guitar cannot be legally brought into the U.S.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a buddy that leaves a 12 string in Norway and doesn't have to take one on board the plane. Comes in handy that way, so I'd leave it as is and enjoy it in Japan. The tortoise shell shows class! :cool:

Ps. It would be worth finding out if it's real. Fender still makes fake tortoise shell pick guards and there are tons of fake products on the market. It's very hard to tell real from fake unless you know your stuff. Jewelers with loupes and microscopes can tell if it's real as the fakers can't copy the 3 dimensional qualities of the real material. If it was made prior to 1973 it's probably legal to have where you are. I wouldn't transport it anywhere until you know for sure, if you think it's real. There are heavy fines in the US if you import or export or even cross State lines (especially on sea turtles!)...just some stuff I just read about online...

Take care, Larryz

Even though importation of new goods made from materials harvested from endangered species is illegal, it is clear that there are exceptions, at least for older goods. Otherwise, importation of certain antique furniture and instruments would be impossible. The latter would be more of a problem, since many notable traveling musicians actually USE instruments like this on their tours.

So, my advice to you is to contact USF&W before making any irrevocable decisions and ask for some clarification.

http://www.fws.gov/le/contact-us.html

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Ya Caevan, considering how I got the guitar anything would be an added expense.

Checking DFW is a good call.

I think it`s worth taking another pic, it really looks nice with the cover and pickguard nice and clean.

However one of the friction points I have had since coming to Asia especially China, is the widespread ignorance and indifference about environmental issues, especially when it comes to other living things.

I was just in Taiwan last weekend and figured, since I have this guitar i`ll take a chance and bring my other acoustic in a gig bag so I can use it to jam with Bruce/Gifthorse. It was perfect, I was able to put it in the overhead racks going there and coming back. But it`s outside of tourist season, there was plenty of room on board but usually there isn`t.

Larryz

I can walk to the other side of the train station where I live, and buy tortoise shell picks at the local music store-unfortunately. There`s no point in faking anything here because the real thing is too common. As stated in the earlier part of this, the maker of this guitar is a relatively obscure Japanese company, I don`t know if they have ever been distributed overseas. I have several picks that are the real thing although I don`t use them much recently. I`ve handled them enough to have a pretty good feel for the material.

I doubt the customs inspectors would know the difference on guitar picks and pick guards as there are too many imitations out there. But, the fines are really heavy (i.e. $100,000) in the US so why take a chance...they would probably just confiscate the guitar from a person who didn't know the difference, if they weren't smuggling a lot of the stuff...

I saw in the article that one could look for tool marks as there will always be imperfections on hand made items that are not created in a mold. I think the truss rod cover might be worth looking at but the pick guard would probably be too big to be putting on guitars? anyway, it's something to think about LOL!

Take care, Larryz

OK, see if you can follow this bit of rambling.....

What would it be in the case of, Let's say for argument's sake, I own a guitar with a tortoise shell pickguard that was made YEARS BEFORE having REAL tortoise shell was an issue....

Wouldn't that be the same as if you owned a 70 year old piano with real IVORY keys that was made BEFORE using ivory was made illegal?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

What would it be in the case of, Let's say for argument's sake, I own a guitar with a tortoise shell pickguard that was made YEARS BEFORE having REAL tortoise shell was an issue....

Wouldn't that be the same as if you owned a 70 year old piano with real IVORY keys that was made BEFORE using ivory was made illegal?

Whitefang

Probably & that would not be good. There was a famous incident some years ago involving a wealthy US ex pat who happened to own the piano formerly owned by Mendelssohn, IIRC. She moved back to the US, with the piano & Customs pried all the ivory off the keys, thus destroying a historic treasure.

Scott Fraser

You can get a permit in the US and keep the guitar if it was made prior to 1973. Otherwise, you can keep it a secret...

There is an old bar in Georgetown, CA that has/had taxidermy animals that made the endangered species list. The animals have been there since the 1800's. Fish and Game came in and confiscated the animals a couple of years ago. This is beyond the pale in how far they will stretch these kinds of laws. I think the owners should sue for the return of those animals and/or I hope they wind up in a museum somewhere...

Take care, Larryz

Whitefang

The laws being enforced today are aimed almost exclusively at stemming the tide of NEW things being made with endangered flora and fauna. So stuff made before a certain point is not treated the same way as the new stuff. (I don't know the particular dates in question, but I believe 1973 is the cutoff for a lot of stuff.)

The problem is that- as several bits of exposé journalism has shown- there are many retailers willing to forge documents about the nature and age of such goods.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yeah, I have no idea when the guitar was made.

Anyway here`s a closeup of the pickguard. You can see the body of the guitar through the translucent parts:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/20141115_110311.jpg

Yeah, I have no idea when the guitar was made.

Anyway here`s a closeup of the pickguard. You can see the body of the guitar through the translucent parts:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/20141115_110311.jpg

Might that be plastic & not real tortoise?

Scott Fraser

It`s definitely not plastic, at least not the usual kind.

As I mentioned, I took the truss rod cover off and handled it, it`s made of the same material. I wasn`t even thinking about it until I had it in my hands, but it felt like the same material as my guitar picks. I suppose I could take it to a guitar shop and have them look at it.

Archived