Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

hurricane hugo

That’s not a normal “I’m closing my business” press release.  That person sounds like they’re going through something tougher than shutting down a business.  

I hope friends & family are close at hand.

• Like 5

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

...moving on...maybe the greatest phaser ever:

Looks and sounds pretty awesome and sophisticated. The KMA Machines Horizont is another such starship of a phaser that's sorely tempted me:

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

If you like canned tuna, yuk, you've been waiting your whole life for this.🤣

Haahh!  :laugh: 

Now... Good canned tuna- well, alright, as good as it can bee, ehr, be- has its uses; I have occasionally made a pretty mean spicy curried tuna salad, to be served in soft, thick whole-wheat pita bread with fresh (uncooked) spinach. Much better than you might expect!

The most important ingredient is always the chef. ;)  (Not that I'd call myself a chef.)

I can pretty safely presume that the fine beeple, ehr, people, at Beetronics FX have made a great fuzz here. It sounds pretty great in the brief demo video. And at $99.99, like canned tuna, it's pretty cost effective and most players can likely afford one.

It is a nod to the early days of Beetronics FX's founder, as well, when he used to use tuna cans for enclosures.

It should also serve as an inspiration to many to make their own pedals enclosed in repurposed items; I understand that their founder used to provide information and encouragement to players for just that!

• Like 3

On 9/15/2024 at 9:36 PM, hurricane hugo said:

...moving on...maybe the greatest phaser ever:

I really like the Diffractor Chromatic Journey's Interactor Trigger (resets the sweep to its beginning with each stomp) and Multiplier +/- rate/speed manipulation. Very expressive features for use on the fly while playing live 'in real time'!

The KMA Audio Machines Horizont sounds absolutely hypnotic when in rippling tremolo/vibrato speeds with its various waveforms.

I can already get PLENTY of great phaser and filter sounds with my phaser, Uni-Vibe, and flanger pedals.

I have to ask myself- as intriguing and enticing as these two superphaser starship consoles are, do I really want and need what they offer up for the rather high cost, and adding one or two large pedals to my already large number of stompboxes? How often would I make good use of those features- and how long before those sounds became overused? I need to consider their potential value for deployment in my own original music and rearranged covers.

Hmmm...

• Like 3

My thoughts on mega-pedals:  

1) it’s better to have a feature and not need it than need a feature and not have it

2) if you find yourself overusing a particular feature on a mega-pedal, it’s easier to replace that feature with a simpler, dedicated pedal and explore the mega-pedal’s OTHER features than approaching it the other way around.

That mindset partly comes from cooking.  I’ve actually created some recipes by reaching into my overstocked spice cabinet and barring myself from using certain ones that I used routinely.  That’s easier than saying you’re not going to use what you have, then going shopping for new spices at the grocery store.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

10 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

1) it’s better to have a feature and not need it than need a feature and not have it

2) if you find yourself overusing a particular feature on a mega-pedal, it’s easier to replace that feature with a simpler, dedicated pedal and explore the mega-pedal’s OTHER features than approaching it the other way around.

That mindset partly comes from cooking.  I’ve actually created some recipes by reaching into my overstocked spice cabinet and barring myself from using certain ones that I used routinely.  That’s easier than saying you’re not going to use what you have, then going shopping for new spices at the grocery store.

Very good points! You might be selling me on pulling the trigger on one of these two in the not too distant future...

The Diffractor Chromatic Journey's Interactor Trigger footswitch feature (which resets the sweep to its beginning with each stomp) actually sounds a LOT like a phaser sweep effect idea that I imagined WAAAY back when I was a Sophomore or Junior in High School (!!) and had tried to describe to a keyboard playing friend of mine... It would be super cool to be able to actually achieve that live in real time with ease!

As for the KMA Horizont, much as I love the hypnotic rippling trem/vibe like effects that it's capable of with numerous waveshapes, I think that I would use that most often just vegging out in a trance at home, and not have as much call for it when playing live or for an integral effect on tracks for original pieces.

I think that my phaser, Uni-Vibe, chorus and flanger pedals can deliver a whole lotta rippling and gurgling effects that will more than do! I mean, I already have the following:

•  VFE Enterprise Phaser
  •  Fulltone Mini Deja 'Vibe 3 V2
  •  Strymon Flint
  •  1979 MXR M-117 Flanger
  •  TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger + Pitch Modulator
  •  '80s MIJ Arion SFL-1 Stereo Flanger
  •  Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble stereo Leslie/rotary sim dual-pedal

At least five, maybe even six of those are 'must haves' that will make it onto either the large rebuilt, repopulated pedalboard, or perhaps an additional 'board strictly for those pedals that will connect to an amp's effects-loop or be post Modeler/IR, leaving the existing 'board for those that will go between the guitar and the input of the amp(s) or modeler/IR device...

JuZFBBJ.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Yes and no . . .

Most of my mega-pedals, to steal that term, are Delay effects, and in many cases there is no simpler, dedicated pedal that does, well, whatever I'm overindulging.

Anyone looking for a very cool, and compact Phaser effect should really look into Keeley's Bubbletron. 12 flavors of Phaser/Filter/Flanger, either dynamics-driven, or LFO-driven, with Vintage or Modern voicings, AND, you don't have that LFO sound constantly swirling behind quiet passages or moments when your Guitar should be silent. A personal favorite . . .

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

3 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Most of my mega-pedals, to steal that term...

What, you don't like Starship Consoles and Mothership Control Centers?  😉 :D

...are Delay effects, and in many cases there is no simpler, dedicated pedal that does, well, whatever I'm overindulging.

Delays, delays, they take time and we're repeating ourselves...    😉 :D :rawk:

Anyone looking for a very cool, and compact Phaser effect should really look into Keeley's Bubbletron. 12 flavors of Phaser/Filter/Flanger, either dynamics-driven, or LFO-driven, with Vintage or Modern voicings...

Agreed, as much as I can tell from demo-videos and descriptions. I have and love a couple of Keeley pedals, they're uncommon in more ways than one! And I'll probably get a couple more in time...

...AND, you don't have that LFO sound constantly swirling behind quiet passages or moments when your Guitar should be silent.

I know what you mean and I'd like that- most of the time! Believe it or not, though, sometimes I kinda like that in-between and in the background sweep! Probably from having heard it there for decades, including classic recordings,,, But, YEAH, most of the time it'd be good NOT to have...  :cool:

• Like 2