Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hatsune Miku, holographic superstar

hurricane hugo

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not getting any sense/illusion that this is a 3-D projection, but that could be a combination of the small screen and bad camera angles. Ignoring that, the idea of Anime girls performing J-Pop 'live', in concert, brings out my inner fanboy.

Thinking as a musician, though, I have to wonder if any of the performance is, well, interactive, for lack of a more accurate term. Aren't the flesh-&-blood musicians essentially locked into something like a sequencer track? What happens if someone changes the key or the tempo, or goes into the bridge, instead back to the chorus? It would seem to me that a Vocaloid that could interact seamlessly with a live band, including mistakes, would have passed a sort of Turing test. This is more like a 21st Century Roger Rabbit.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I think the technology in general is really cool! It's like being inside a cartoon movie at Disneyland. This presentation would really WOW the kids (if they were up late with David Letterman) and +1 it's better on full screen...

I don't think you really need the band and would have liked to hear a more adult version as far as the vocaloid's singing goes. I think the band members were there to give it more of a 3D magic live performance look. I noticed a couple of players located behind and to the side of the screen while others were placed up front...I would have liked to have been in the audience and watched it live. All in all, it was very cool and I'm sure there will be many more of these types of shows in the future! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Visually? There's some potential for something cool hinted at here.

Soundwise? I despise the sound of auto-tune/pitch-correction, and this is swimming in the pukey stuff, nay, MADE of it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well as it is, the presentation is still very Japanese-generic, cutesy pop. It doesn`t have to stay that way, I had a similar idea a long time ago-I don`t look like a pop star, you may not look like a pop star. In a way this is a great equalizer-she doesn`t get old, doesn`t get sick. Unless something fizzles technically she`ll never cancel a tour. Create a perfect version of yourself. I think it`s very kool.

Here is a very different-but similar-take on that idea:

http://www.femm.jp/

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Hmmmm....But what if they do the same thing with a "faux" male performer? THAT mght put GROUPIES out of business, and do you REALLY want THAT?

Y'know, the tehnology is ool and all, but it seems that something ELSE and more important could be done with it. Of course, I may be speaking too soon, like all them wags who, years ago, predicted the death of "real musicians" AND music when the interest and popularity of electronic synthesizers was growing in the late '60's and early '70's. But it never really came about.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well I may not want that, but I`ll tell you what I do want. No more nutcase stalkers. No more John Lennons.

In any case I don`t see live performers going away because of this. For one thing there`s no real interaction with the audience. It`s not exactly personalized.

Well, there was never any REAL interaction with the audience from "real" performers. Just a lot of token acknowledgement and insincere "Schmooze" It's the reason several rock musicians have been able to find some success in the acting field. They've been "acting" on tours for so long, it became second nature!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Oh Hatsune Miku haha I remember this back few years ago as my friend back in japan used this software time to time. Let me explain this for you guys.

This character Hatsune Miku was never intended to be some virtual singer as it was nothing more than a mascot used on the cover of the software package originally.

Hatsune Miku is basically a vocaloid; vocaloid is a singing voice synthesizer software. Vocaloid pretty much uses synthesizing technology with specially recorded vocals of voice actors or singers (for Hatsune Miku's voice, a voice actress in japan known as Saki Fujita took part in this project and there are just so many other characters and voices used for this software). This software allows the users to input melody and lyrics in order to create a synthesized singing voice in order to produce music; for example, when you don't have someone to sing for your band, you can use this virtual-singing system. There are even record-labels in Japan especially made for vocaloid music and there are these "vocaloid-producer" who make their living making music joining the label (I think this part is quite fascinating and there seem to be quite number of famous western-producers as well). Due to its popularity, vocaloid opened up quite numbers of concert every year in various countries such as U.S, Malaysia, China, Portugal, France, Indonesia....etc.

For the videos you guys watched for david letterman, hatsune miku was singing in English(since it's still in development, there still seems to be some type of trouble with the pronunciation).

Although this software was originally intended for the amateur and professional musicians to produce music, due to the popularity of japanese animation and its fan-base, Crypton company decided to open up this concert of making this character sing as a "virtual-singer" on stage (the character image is projected to the screen using the technology) with real bands providing the backing-track. Hatsune Miku is actually quite massive in japan; she in appeared in google chrome, toyota car commercial, pizza commercial... etc with her image appearing all over the place especially in Japan.

Here's a video of vocaloid concert from last yera.

Quite hilarious I gotta say.

skip to 12:50 as concert start from there.

[video:youtube]

Hatsune Miku on Fox 11 News

Hatsune Miku taking part in opening ceremony in ArtPop Ball Event for Lady Gaga's concert

Oddly enough...I frequent another forum that has a few HM fans, and they were all very disappointed in the choice of song performed.

I actually love the fact that this software allows the musicians to produce their own music but all this virtual character thing is just..... not my thing. About the fans not in favor of the chosen song, maybe it's hard to tell what language she's speaking? (though she's singing in English)

Well, there was never any REAL interaction with the audience from "real" performers. Just a lot of token acknowledgement and insincere "Schmooze" It's the reason several rock musicians have been able to find some success in the acting field. They've been "acting" on tours for so long, it became second nature!

Whitefang

Okay hang on a minute. That brush is too broad to fit on most major highways!

of course there are cases like that but, for example I have a buddy here who did security for Axl Rose when he was in town. Even I was surprised, he said the guy was quite personable and took time to meet as many people as possible. If anything rappers have been much more successful in making the transition to acting-or at least to being in movies.

Thanks for the background, wjfkddf. That was pretty much my impression of the performance, as a kind of 'voice' sequencing software, linked to a holographic image. It's a program, if not exactly a pre-recorded performance. Still, I have to wonder how far you could go with the programming, in that case, maybe linking it to real-time MIDI CC#'s. Getting it to respond to tempo change and key modulation would be a huge step in 'humanizing' the performance, and not outside the range of possibility, if someone wanted to spend the time writing code.

Is the software readily available? I'd love to experiment with it, if it isn't prohibitively expensive.

Edit: Just did a quick search. Lots of links, all for Windows OS, so far. Ah, well.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Archived