Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inexpensive Roland Module that will run SRX cards

AlanV

I've got 2 SRX cards (SRX-07 and SRX-12) that I pulled out of my VR-760 when I sold it. Now I find myself in need of some of the sounds in those cards.

What would be a better choice for a module to pop them into? I've been looking at the XV-2020 and XV-5050. Leaning towards the XV-2020 since it has a smaller footprint and could sit on top of my PC3LE7 when MIDI'd in.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with these modules?

Thanks,

Alan

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can find a used Sonic Cell, they hold exactly 2 cards.

They are small and can sometimes be found real cheap on craigslist. I saw one here a few months ago for sale for $100!

If I didn't already have one I would have snatched it up.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Ahh, forgot about the Sonic Cell, thanks!

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

a used xv3080 seems a good choice too:

-not so much expensive

-better hardware..

Don't forget it too..

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

I was looking at the XV3080 and 5080, but I'm looking for a small footprint that doesn't have to be put in a rack for stage use.

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

+ 1 for the XV2020. I use two SRX card in mine: acoustic and electric piano and i'm quite happy with it. The XV is light as a feather and you can find it used for cheap.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Or SR cards VS SRX?

Well, for one thing, there are sounds on the SR-JV boards that were not carried over to the SRX boards, and some of them are quite good. To my ears, there's more of a rawness to the SR-JV sounds that I prefer over the SRX versions, which can sound more slick. (Roland also loves to slather sounds in reverb, which doesn't help.) Anyway, Synthmania is an excellent resource for demoing these sounds.

I would recommend the XV-2020, although I've never owned one. Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone comment on the different sounds between, say, the JV-2080 and XV-5080? Or SR cards VS SRX?

Cripes, not a zombie thread, but sure as hell a zombie topic! Everyone's calendar/phone is set to 2014, right? ;):2thu:

Or SR cards VS SRX?

Well, for one thing, there are sounds on the SR-JV boards that were not carried over to the SRX boards, and some of them are quite good. To my ears, there's more of a rawness to the SR-JV sounds that I prefer over the SRX versions, which can sound more slick. (Roland also loves to slather sounds in reverb, which doesn't help.) Anyway, Synthmania is an excellent resource for demoing these sounds.

Thanks for the reply. Glad most of the folks on here are willing to say a few words about their experiences with keyboards rather than wasting time posting meaningless responses.

Glad most of the folks on here are willing to say a few words about their experiences with keyboards rather than waste time posting meaningless responses.

:rolleyes:

Let's not get too overly dramatic about this, shall we? :hitt:

For the record, had D not posted about Synthmania, I would have done so, lest you think I'm merely here to piss in your personal Corn Flakes. :2thu:

Archived