Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Vintage Hendrix

HammondDave

From the Miami Pop Fesival in 1968... What an amazing performer. And look! I spy a Gibson G101 stage right!

Check out the PA at 0:31. Two Voice of the Theatre A7's and a giant horn! Hysterical!

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually saw Hendrix live when I was a student at the University of Washington. This was around the time of Electric Ladyland I believe. I noticed in the Seattle Times that the show wasn't sold out that evening. I asked my roommate if he wanted to catch Hendrix and he declined, so I hopped a bus to the Seattle Center and bought my ticket at the Coliseum just before the show.

Seating wasn't bad either - in the second level just above stage right. There were plenty of empty seats.

Yeah it was like that back then.

I was fortunate to see Hendrix September 1, 1968 at Red Rocks.

That night, after that show, Jimi wrote the liner notes for Electric Ladyland back at his Denver hotel.

As we used to say, it was far out.

Vanilla Fudge opened, turned out my band (Chains) wound up opening for them a few months later at U of Pennsylvania.

/end nostalgic rambling only important to me...

Kronos 61 | Prophet '08 | Blofeld Desktop

CPS SSv3 | QSC K12

Unfortunately those of us in Seattle got stuck with Noel Redding's side project Fat Mattress as the opener.

They were absolutely horrid. There were a number of local bands that could have done much better. But they had the connections, and as I said before things were like that back then ;)

From the Miami Pop Fesival in 1968...

actually a pretty good recording. The crowd was way too polite, though.

Polite? More like respecting everyone's right to listen to the music. I hate contemporary audiences who feel that they need to stand and sing along at the top of their lungs, drowning out the artist who I paid to see (and hear). This is a result of today's selfish and entitled generation.

Yes, for the most part crowds back then sat politely and listened (or were too stoned to stand up, which is OK too, as long as they don't bother me)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I hate contemporary audiences who feel that they need to stand and sing along at the top of their lungs, drowning out the artist who I paid to see (and hear). This is a result of today's selfish and entitled generation.

yeah. people having fun who spent alot of money on concert tickets suck. :roll:

Yes, for the most part crowds back then sat politely and listened (or were too stoned to stand up, which is OK too, as long as they don't bother me)

didn't mean to get you all riled up, David. :D

I was often in the latter catagory myself.

Have a great day. :thu:

:nopity:

yeah. people having fun who spent alot of money on concert tickets suck. :roll:

Of course, concert tickets didn't cost as much as a car payment back then, either.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I actually saw Hendrix live

I actually got to open for Hendrix (in Madras pants and beads, no less) at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, NY on his first major tour!

Polite? More like respecting everyone's right to listen to the music. I hate contemporary audiences who feel that they need to stand and sing along at the top of their lungs, drowning out the artist who I paid to see (and hear). This is a result of today's selfish and entitled generation.

I also "saw" The Beatles at Massey Hall in Toronto. I was just 11 rows back, but never heard a single note for all the nonstop screaming girls. Who knew the effect of "today's selfish and entitled generation" reached that far back :laugh:

Archived