Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mac Mini with Ipad vs Macbook Pro?

analogholic

I´ve read the recent threads about Mainstage, (Toto, Rosenthal etc) and I´m thinking about switching to Mac.

Since I´m already set to buy an Ipad, could that be used as a monitor for a Mac Mini?

I just managed to blast the screen on my windows laptop and thought maybe that a Mac Mini could be used as a "poor mans" Receptor? A bit more durable (and cheaper) than a Macbook Pro?

I understand that Mainstage could be set to autoload at startup?

Anybody here using a Mini live?

Pros and cons vs a Macbook?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless things have changed, there are some issues with using the Mac mini this way. The Mac does not like to boot up without a monitor attached. You would have to buy (or DIY) a dongle which plugs into the monitor port, effectively fooling the Mac into thinking a monitor is connected during power up. Last I have read about this, you would then have to use the iPad as a remote controller over VNC using a wireless network.

If things have changed I am all ears and would love to hear otherwise.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Monitors can be had dirt cheap. I'd go that route, and use the free Logic Remote app on your iPad to control MainStage.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Unless things have changed, there are some issues with using the Mac mini this way. The Mac does not like to boot up without a monitor attached.

Anyone know if a USB monitor satisfies the Mac Mini bootup requirement? If so, a USB touch monitor might be another, possibly less finicky, option to explore.

I use MacMini's as media servers at home. I did not like iPad control at all because too many things need mouse control. I also remember it needing a wireless network when I tried it. Not a good option on the road. A cheap MacBook would work better as a controller but you would still need a network.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I´ve read the recent threads about Mainstage, (Toto, Rosenthal etc) and I´m thinking about switching to Mac.

Since I´m already set to buy an Ipad, could that be used as a monitor for a Mac Mini?

I just managed to blast the screen on my windows laptop and thought maybe that a Mac Mini could be used as a "poor mans" Receptor? A bit more durable (and cheaper) than a Macbook Pro?

I understand that Mainstage could be set to autoload at startup?

Anybody here using a Mini live?

Pros and cons vs a Macbook?

I gig regularly with a Mac Mini setup, and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't have an iPad, I have been considering getting one, but it hasn't made it past the "Wouldn't it be cool to have" list and onto the "gotta have it" list yet. I use a cheap Lilliput monitor, that i have mounted on one of the end pieces of my Hammond XK-1, and an Apple track pad that sits on my bottom board. I take a bluetooth keyboard to gigs just in case, but haven't needed it yet.

My Mini is a Quad-Core i7, I put 16G of RAM into it, and it is one fast and powerful little computer! The main reason I went with the Mini over a MacBook was because you get way more computer/dollar with the Mini. Even with the monitor and trackpad, it was less than half of what a comparable MBP would have cost. In my most complicated band, I run a setlist with about 50 patches, and it handles then all pretty flawlessly.

Your poor-man's receptor comment is right-on! Once I have started the Mini and booted Mainstage, it's just like running a module. I can change patches from my midi controller, and the monitor just provides visual feedback so I know I'm on the right patch. I only use the trackpad to start Mainstage at the start of the night, and occasionally to select a patch out of the master list when we jump out of the setlist.

The only problem I have had so far was that I have forgotten to pack the trackpad twice, once for a rehearsal and once for a gig. Both times I was close enough to home that I could run back and grab it, but it was pretty embarrassing. I keep an old USB mouse in my gear bag now for these times. I guess if I had a laptop, I wouldn't have to remember the individual parts, but it seems like a small problem.

I don't auto-boot Mainstage, because, when I did, every once in a while my audio interface wouldn't load its drivers correctly before Mainstage launched. Now, I just turn on the computer, it takes about a minute to launch, then I launch Mainstage. My most complicated setup takes about 2-3 minutes to load. This is with a conventional hard drive, I keep threatening to replace it with a pair of SSD's, but haven't yet.

I love my Mini setup. This computer just had 2 functions, it's a VEP slave in my studio, and it runs Mainstage on my gigs, and it does a great job of both tasks. If I had a MBP, I'd be tempted to surf the web, play games and all that other crap on it, but it's easier to just treat the Mini as a module.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I didn't have access to the link for Logic Remote in my previous post, so here it is. It is a great app and works with GB X, Logic X, and MainStage 3.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-remote/id638394624?mt=8

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived