Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Yorkers - Where to find rare vinyl?

Hello

A friend of mine will be visiting New York at the end of February. He is a big record collector and is hoping to hunt down a few gems while he's there. Can anyone suggest any stores for him to explore? If there are any record fairs he'd be thrilled.

He is particularly into 60's psychedelia such as Orange Bicycle, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Love, Sallie's Ffollies & Skip Biffertee to name a few.

Also while I'm at it, any suggestions for Italian food and good nights out? He'll be staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza on 54th St.

Thanks very much

John (and Malcolm)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mike & Bunny, I'll be sending him to Bleeker Bob's.

Supe - while you might be right, ebay doesn't quite have the same appeal as browsing through a local record store in a famous city on the other side of the world.

Originally posted by flyscots:

Also while I'm at it, any suggestions for Italian food and good nights out? He'll be staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza on 54th St.

He can check NYC restaurants, music in clubs, or concerts at www.citysearch.com.

I looked for a Howard Johnson's on 54th, but didn't see one. Is it on 8th Ave. and 50th St.?

If so, there is a very good Italian restaurant, Becco, on 46th St. near 8th Ave. They have an all you can eat pasta sampling for $22, which is a great buy. I've recommended it often with good results. It's owned by the Bastianich family, who also own my favorite NYC Italian restaurant, Felidia (E. 58th St. and 2nd Ave.).

Other nearby Italian restaurants that are excellent (these are on the high end):

Baldoria on 49th St.

Patsy's on 56th St. (one of Frank Sinatra's hangs)

Tuscan Square on 52nd near Rockefeller Center/Radio City

Thanks Mark!

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

I looked for a Howard Johnson's on 54th, but didn't see one. Is it on 8th Ave. and 50th St.?

I have no idea, I just posted what Malcolm told me.

I'll pass on your recommendations, Becco especially. Wasn't there a MusicPlayer dinner there last year?

Patsy's will interest him and his lady friend too. She's a hotelier & an excellent cook so the high end places should be OK. (She'd be quick to criticise the cheap places!)

Thanks again

John

Originally posted by flyscots:

I'll pass on your recommendations, Becco especially. Wasn't there a MusicPlayer dinner there last year?

That's the place.

If your friend wants to try something high end, Italian, and different from pasta and red sauce, there is one more recommendation. Esca is an Italian fish & seafood restaurant on 43rd St. near 8th Ave. They specialize in whole roasted fish and "crudo" (raw fish prepared with flavored olive oil, like Italian sashimi). I'm taking my wife there next month when we're in NYC to see a Broadway show. I'd expect dinner for 2 to run $100 without wine/tax/tip.

I found the business card for Bleecker Bob's.

Bleecker Bob's

118 West 3rd Street (in the Village)

New York, NY 10012

Tel: (212)475-9677

Fax: (212)477-7902

info@bleeckerbobs.com

http://www.bleeckerbobs.com

There are (or at least, there were) a few more shops in the area specializing in used vinyl. They're easy to find; just start walking. :cool:

Thanks Bunny, I had used the power of Google to get the details but it was nice of you to post them too. Malcolm says he's looking forward to getting his fingers dirty browsing the old records!

Kendrix - you should check out the value of some of your records, you could be selling yourself short at a grand.

Mark - I appreciate your tips, thanks again!

Archived