Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y'all listen to "Snarky Puppy" ?

Jazz+

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, me too.

Great stuff, great chops by all the players.

Incidentally, their name is weird to me and kind of a turn-off. Nothing snarky about what they do.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Yeah, I found them one day while looking around on youtube. It's not the kind of thing I'd sit and listen to, but watching them perform is a lot of fun and I'd definitely go see them live.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I've heard them (on well amplified cable TV) on North Sea Jazz, and I've put the video above on from beginning to end.

There were all these serious lessons about Jazz playing: use correct and personal phrasing, never solo too long, get a good sound (and don't break it), make sure your themes mean something, don't take musical space for nothing more than trying to boost your musical ego, etc. etc. These guys clearly didn't get or follow those lessons. Endless repeated licks from a decent music school or conservatory do not work, and I don't get more than some sort of fascist theme from the music, so sorry, I don't like it at all, and found it a waste of my time at best.

T.

Yeah, I found them one day while looking around on youtube. It's not the kind of thing I'd sit and listen to, but watching them perform is a lot of fun and I'd definitely go see them live.

Hey Bill -

they are playing The Fillmore in Silver Spring MD in about a month. It's not that far from you. I already have tickets. PM me if you decide to go and I'll buy you a beer. :cheers:

:nopity:

There were all these serious lessons about Jazz playing: use correct and personal phrasing, never solo too long, get a good sound (and don't break it), make sure your themes mean something, don't take musical space for nothing more than trying to boost your musical ego, etc. etc. These guys clearly didn't get or follow those lessons. Endless repeated licks from a decent music school or conservatory do not work, and I don't get more than some sort of fascist theme from the music, so sorry, I don't like it at all, and found it a waste of my time at best.

"Fascist theme"? Please explain.

"A waste of my time at best"? And "at worst," it's what?

Hey Bill -

they are playing The Fillmore in Silver Spring MD in about a month. It's not that far from you. I already have tickets. PM me if you decide to go and I'll buy you a beer. :cheers:

Unfortunately, my Genesis tribute band is playing Empire in Springfield, VA that night (9/26). I've been meaning to visit the Fillmore to see if the Genesis trib could play there...looks like a cool place.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

"Fascist theme"? Please explain.

"A waste of my time at best"? And "at worst," it's what?

Oh, the irony, that Theo should call something a waste of time. :facepalm:

Maybe he'd like it if they used multiband compression, ran everything through a Linux-and-Lexicon rig, and refused to use any commercially available gear, because there's no way good music can be created with any of that off-the-shelf shit. :rolleyes:

Next. :snax:

Maybe he'd like it if they used multiband compression, ran everything through a Linux-and-Lexicon rig, and refused to use any commercially available gear, because there's no way good much can be created with any of that off-the-shelf shit. :rolleyes:

Next. :snax:

Man, I'm so glad you're back. :thu:

Jazz+, there is no shortage of Snarky Puppy/Cory Henry threads on this forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I find jazz that follows the rules to be totally boring.

I missed the thread and video first time. Followed the link in this thread, watched the video, and just purchased the download from Amazon. Listening to it now. How many musicians are in the band?

Would love to see them live.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Anyone not understanding the general observations I did is either not interesting for me, or a plain liar.

I feel pretty confident in saying that you're the only person on the forum who thinks Snarky Puppy's music has a "fascist theme." So, in essence, you're saying everyone on the forum is either not interesting or liars. It might be time for you to acknowledge that Keyboard Corner isn't the right place for you to waste so much of your time. Or ours. :idea:

In plain English: neat Jazz players have self control. They wouldn't pentatonically noodle for 10 minutes and call it a song. Also, Jazz used to be cool. Clear ?

T.

You're avoiding my question. What's the fascist theme in their music?

They should probably keep keeping on.

But, excuse me; I, for one, just can't stand this sound.

What was that British band called, the band that Jamie Oliver fed in his show? These sound alike, but with more instruments.

But, whatever makes you happy...is good enough. Probably.

Still, I rather listen to Stevie Wonder's records from the early 70's.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

But, excuse me; I, for one, just can't stand this sound.

Still, I rather listen to Stevie Wonder's records from the early 70's.

The great thing about personal taste is you get to take it with you no matter what anybody else thinks. I appreciate that you've couched your comments as such.

Personally, I dig SP (and love '70s Stevie), as I feel there's more than enough seats at the dinner table for artists trying cool things. They're not the only people I listen to, but none of us are claiming them as the sine qua non of contemporary music. Neither are they.

What strikes me as hubris is anyone claiming to be a musician who sets up their personal criteria as the inviolable benchmark for what comprises musical quality, or what is worth listening to. Take a humility pill and consider maybe someone is creating stuff you just don't get yet. Or you'll never get...and your not getting it doesn't invalidate their artistry.

I recognize clear ideas I did some work on 2 decades ago, but with an attitude and (lack of) accuracy that I dins deplorable. The style of using pentatonic scales, and the strangely executed rock rhtyhms in the way SP does, really is sub par for a bit serious Jazz education, where all their style elements and licks and rhythms clearly reside in, so no, I don't stray far from normal, widely applied objectivism about such subjects.

Of course claiming you were born in some cross jam hurricane and are part of a New Breed is all very fine, and strife for personal music is great, but actually making something that is good and actually new probably isn't for these chaps.

T.

What strikes me as hubris is anyone claiming to be a musician who sets up their personal criteria as the inviolable benchmark for what comprises musical quality, or what is worth listening to. Take a humility pill and consider maybe someone is creating stuff you just don't get yet. Or you'll never get...and your not getting it doesn't invalidate their artistry.

Excellent post Tim. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived