Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording a live performance

tomson

You need more than 8 inputs . You'd need at least 8 for drums alone.

I don't think the OP said anything about drums. He said piano, fiddle, and vocals.

But yes, if you're recording a 5-PC band with drums, you're likely talking more like 16 tracks. In my old band, we did it running direct outs from each mixer channel into a Mackie HD24. In my current band, we hooked FireWire from a laptop up to the Presonus StudioLive mixer.

If you have a good sound guy, a 2ch board mix can be ok, depending on the room. It works best with the least stage volume, because if you have too much stage volume, what's coming from the board is over accentuating the parts needed to mix with what's coming from stage.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said (paraphrase) "nobody takes my advice , they always have to try for themselves". That's more than fine. You might actually get some good tracks. I myself would take my band into the studio and pay for 5 hours and walk out with 3 or 4 well recorded songs and be done. If your band is tight, has recording experience and you know how to produce a session this is $250.00 much better spent.

FunMachine.

How do you record a live performance in the studio?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

OBTW Jeff Lear, I make up insert recording cables by soldering TRS ends onto patch cables...just cut an instrument patch cable in half. I do prefer to intercept microphones with an XLR "Y" cable, though;

At some point, I'd like to make up some DB-25 to XLR cables. If I had a 24-

Channel ADC for my laptop I'd be upstairs soldering right now!

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

How do you record a live performance in the studio?

+1

I don't think he's really paying attention to the OP's situation and goal..... 2 instruments and 2 mics wanting a decent LIVE recording.

The other situation where you would want a good LIVE recording from a larger band is when shooting video of a live performance, which is where I've encountered it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived