Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Band's Set List

Rockitman

It was suggested that I just post all the songs our band are covering to get suggestions for the proper patches for the keys in these songs. Some of these, of course do not have keys:

Squeeze Box

Rikki Don't Lose that Number

Sister Golden Hair

Stuck in the Middle

My Life

Two Tickets to Paradise

You Wreck Me

Jealous Again

China Grove

We're an American Band

Hold On Loosely

Let's Go

Jessie's Girl

I Want You to Want Me

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Everybody Wants You

Walk Away

American Girl

Go Your Own Way

What I Like About You

Cinnamon Girl

Surrender

Sweet Emotion

Don't Change

Just What I Needed

You May Be Right

Shape I'm In

Already Gone

Breakdown

Never Tear Us Apart

Bad Case of Loving You

Mary Jane's Last Dance

Roll With The Changes

Bye Bye Love

Don't Bring Me Down

Inside Out

Interstate Love Song

One Thing Leads to Another

My Own Worst Enemy

One Headlight

3am

Hurts So Good

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have specific suggestions (don't have either board). From another thread, you have a Roland RD700SX and have ordered a Casio XW-P1. If the Classic (or named Vintage) patches downloadable form the Casio site for free for the XW-P1 are anything like the work Dave Weiser did on Kurzweil patches, those patches alone would help on a lot of those songs.

On a thread like this, it helps to include what boards (or software) you have so that those looking at the thread know without having to dig out the info from another thread.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Yeah, gear matters here. For instance, if you have a Korg Kronos, I could send you Combi's for a dozen of those tunes as I do them in my band. Not all dead ringers but all close enough to not embarrass yourself. A good chunk of those songs can be handled with one instrument (Piano, EP, Organ, etc.)

And how knowledgeable are you at subtractive synthesis? Because the best answers you will get for the synthy stuff will be in the language of oscillators, filters and envelopes. If you know little/nothing; go buy Syntorial online. Best $100 you can ever spend to learn this stuff.

I am pretty much a newbie myself, so I'm no caster of stones; but getting those basics down will help a TON.

Some of the stuff on your list is pretty demanding. Roll with the Changes, for instance, is going to require some energetic piano work AND a tough-ish (for me anyway) organ solo. I am surprised that patch selection is what you would consider the challenge here.

But hey, I'd love to see the pro's answers to your questions as these guys have worked these songs up probably time and time again.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Sven was being facetious about posting your whole set list so people could tell you what patch to use for all your songs. Nobody's going to do that. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

That said, it's always interesting to see other people's set lists - especially along with some info as to which songs work best.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I wish I could find something on my ROMpler that would "cut" properly for Surrender. Drives me crazy.

Shape I'm In, you will have fun matching that, it's a Lowery Festival through a Leslie 147 IIRC. A friend with a Korg M1 does a great job. The Lowery sound is achieved with mostly even overtones IIUC. I do It on Hammond with mostly white drawbars, crosstalk and click to zero if you're on a clone.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Sven was being facetious about posting your whole set list so people could tell you what patch to use for all your songs. Nobody's going to do that. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

That said, it's always interesting to see other people's set lists - especially along with some info as to which songs work best.

I like discussions like that. I thought about doing that here while back by starting a thread called "How would you do this". Not necessarily posting songs I am currently trying to do but just tunes that sound sound like they would be interesting or challenging to try to pull off live with hardware. I remember Dan teaching how to do the intro on that Loverboy tune. That was cool.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

. . . Some of these, of course do not have keys. . .

Really? Which ones?

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Hey WesG: The way I handled surrender was I took real cheesy electric piano patch (Wave Sweep E Piano on my kronos) and then ran it through a high gain distortion ifx. It sounds like absolute HELL by itself. I mean ear-splitting crap. But, it works great with the whole band. Go figure.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

I wish I could find something on my ROMpler that would "cut" properly for Surrender. Drives me crazy.

Shape I'm In, you will have fun matching that, it's a Lowery Festival through a Leslie 147 IIRC. A friend with a Korg M1 does a great job. The Lowery sound is achieved with mostly even overtones IIUC. I do It on Hammond with mostly white drawbars, crosstalk and click to zero if you're on a clone.

If Shape I'm In is the old ARC Angel tune then I wouldn't about it much. It is not a household known tune. What I did was a kick ass Rock 'n' Roll Piano part. I had a big solo in that tune. We also kicked the tempo up in it. I also played one hand on the Hammond and the other on the stage piano at points.

Help I have a gig in 4 days I need the keyboard tab for these songs. :D

Part Of Me

Lonely Boy

Blow

Roar

Funhouse

Price Tag

Call Me Maybe

Sail

Brokenhearted

Blurred Lines

Timber

Raise Your Glass

Only Girl

Want U Back

Bad Romance

Are You Gonna My Way

Get Lucky

Counting Stars

Gold On The Ceiling

One More Night

You & Your Hand

Locked Out Of Heaven

S&M

Hella Good

Dark Horse

I Love It

Harder To Breathe

Best Day Of My Life

(Light Em Up)

Birthday

Shut Up & Drive

Talk Dirty

Wobble

Problem

Ain't It Fun

Troublemaker

Fancy

Die Young

Slow Down

I'm A Freak

Encore

Jump Around /Mammals / Baby Got Back

Cool set list, CEB, you must have a lot of dancing girls at your gigs.

Fancy. As in by Reba McIntyre? Seems kind of out of place?

I want my rock band to add Gold On The Ceiling. I'm going to have to figure out how to do something like it with my ROMpler. I'm starting to think it's time for a new board. Or maybe I should swap my VR-09 in and drop the weighted 88.

"Lonely Boy", I comp with xx8880000 and play the lick on Full Organ with the pedal to the metal. I think Full Organ on my rig is roughly 858884414, no upper fold back. How does your band do the intro? Does the guitar player have a divebomb pedal? We have the bass player doing that bit. It works.

BTW if you remember our conversation about "Smooth" on the OF a few months ago...I am playing that sucker at gigs regularly now. I don't know why I ever had trouble with it, it's so easy now that I have decided what I should play! LOL.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Help I have a gig in 4 days I need the keyboard tab for these songs. :D

;):thu::rawk:

With or without chicken claw?

There is only one true tab system for keyboards... so of course with the chicken foot! :D:rawk:

:thu::D

Rudy

I'm using a distorted organ patch on the S90XS for Gold on the Ceiling. I carry no clone for the Pop Band rig. Right now I'm playing probably 85% of the show S90XS. I use some of the SN synth sounds from the FA-06. The FA-06 is mostly a sample player. I use it as a lead synth in the 10 piece Latin/horn band I play with.

I was doing some stuff with the SH-101 but I decided to make things easier and picked up a Gaia so can can have presets. The Gaia is a lot of fun and is easier pretty easy to program. Running audio through the old SH-101 and using the internal oscillator etc... it was getting convoluted plus it needs the VCO adjusted. I should get get the synth adjust and sell it. I don't use the old thing much anymore. I guess the Gaia will cause me to retire it permanently.

I'm liking the Pop band a lot. I've been pretty much a Hammond/Piano player for so long I forgot how much I like sound creation.

Simple stuff Like a thing I did for 'I Love It' where I layer saw patches and set the bend rang on one to be one octave greater than the other so when I bend the C down to a G one hits the G 1 1/2 octave down and the other hits the G just below the C, is giving me a woody.

The Santana/Horn band is a great side project because I get to solo my butt off. The Pop band is more about just supporting to vocalist, sound creation, and getting paid and not feeling like I am over 50.

I like discussions like that. I thought about doing that here while back by starting a thread called "How would you do this". Not necessarily posting songs I am currently trying to do but just tunes that sound sound like they would be interesting or challenging to try to pull off live with hardware. I remember Dan teaching how to do the intro on that Loverboy tune. That was cool.

You would like Keyboard Magazine's 'Steal This Sound' feature. It's one of my favorites... they should bring it back.

You would like Keyboard Magazine's 'Steal This Sound' feature. It's one of my favorites... they should bring it back.

Indeed, I would love to see more programming/sound design columns, just to help keep the average "keyboard player IQ" up. That, and a return to the "rig tour" type articles, sort of like what Mike McKnight writes about, but with more 'plumbing details' for us gearheads. ;)

Given the recently updated KeyboardMag.com website, maybe there's a bit of an investment happening from the parent company that will help going forward...

Oh, and speaking of Mitchell's "Steal This Sound" column, this is a worthwhile purchase for any newbie synth owners:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61eWXVho60L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Clonk

+1

I bought this book myself about 4 months ago. Very valuable, especially in conjunction with Syntorial. The two work together like a dream.

Archived