Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about a second board

Rockitman

For a synthesizer for playing Cars music, I think you would be blown away by the Casio XW-P1. It has literally HUNDREDS of presets, and every sound you can think of. I'll link
to it so you can get a taste for some of the sounds. I don't have much experience with the Novation, but I can say that it's, and the Roland's key beds are nothing compared to the Casio, and with the Casio you get two more octaves of keys. The Casio also has an organ drawbar mode, and it's overall a much better MIDI controller (for VSTs or external modules) than either of the other synths you're considering.

I have the Roland SH-201: What it's good for is QUICK customization of sounds. I don't think that's what you're looking for, though.

As for a mixer, the Yamaha one looks fine, but I've had no experience with it. I can recommend this Behringer Mixer.

[video:youtube]

thanks Kenny. This may suit my needs even better. Cheaper too!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd look into a used Virus. Lots of great presets, ability to tweak, and you won't be tempted to upgrade from an entry level synth unlike some of the others.
"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

Another vote here for the Gaia as it will cover the sounds and be the best for learning the basics of synthesis. The dedicated sliders will make a huge difference as you learn about envelop generators (eg's), voltage controlled filters (vcf's), and voltage controlled amps (vca's).

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If you do get the Gaia you can get it from Sweetwater and get a free bank of 64 sounds. Some of these that are cool if you want to play Classic Rock. Here is a demo of some if not all the extra bank.

Same guy at Sweetwater develop some sounds they preloaded into Novation Ultranova also.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, there is no way to testdrive these boards where I live. Local music stores do not stock any of these mentioned boards.

Roland Gaia

Novation Ultranova

Casio XW-P1

Virus B

Which to buy? Which one will make me immediately happy with it's built in presets to help cover many popular 80's and 90's rock/pop tues, while still offering a friendly interface to create and tweak new sounds?

Which to buy? Which one will make me immediately happy with it's built in presets to help cover many popular 80's and 90's rock/pop tues, while still offering a friendly interface to create and tweak new sounds?

That's an extremely difficult call for us to make. You really need to find a way to test drive those KBs even if it means taking a road trip.

Laying hands on the KBs and twisting knobs and pushing faders is the only way you'll know whether or not there is a finger-to-ear connection.

BTW, since the Virus B is on the used market, it will be the harder KB to find. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

You will not get any better advice than what jmemcse517 said. I reproduce it below:

Make your synth choice easy. Choose between the Roland Gaia SH-01 and the Novation UltraNova. They are both the same price and very similar. First go here to listen to the Gaia -

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SH01/

Then go here to listen to the UltraNova -

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraNova/

Just pick whichever sounds good to you at the moment

I would emphasise the last line.

The only other thing is, get it mail order on approval. Order them both, keep your favourite, and send the other one back.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Well, there is no way to testdrive these boards where I live. Local music stores do not stock any of these mentioned boards.

Roland Gaia

Novation Ultranova

Casio XW-P1

Virus B

You've said the code word - presets. For pure synthesizer presets, with hundreds and hundreds of sounds on the unit, plus millions of free sounds you can download onto the keyboard [and they're always coming out with new sounds]...it's the XW all the way. Mike Martin (GM of Marketing at Casio) is also known as the best in the business for support after you buy the product, and is always willing to help. Also, if you're ever not sure where to find a certain sound, you can always post in the Casio XW Forums or the XW FaceBook Page where actual owners can help you too.

I don't know if there's any comparison between that and the Roland and Novation - in your case. I've found that with those Analog style interfaces, it's HARD to put your patches in order for a show, and you may only get like 64 slots for USER patches. With the Casio you get a pretty big LCD display where you can organize your tens of patches you might need for a show (have them all named, ect).

Roland Gaia

Novation Ultranova

Casio XW-P1

Virus B

You've said the code word - presets. For pure synthesizer presets, with hundreds and hundreds of sounds on the unit, plus millions of free sounds you can download onto the keyboard [and they're always coming out with new sounds]...it's the XW all the way. Mike Martin (GM of Marketing at Casio) is also known as the best in the business for support after you buy the product, and is always willing to help. Also, if you're ever not sure where to find a certain sound, you can always post in the Casio XW Forums or the XW FaceBook Page where actual owners can help you too.

I don't know if there's any comparison between that and the Roland and Novation - in your case. I've found that with those Analog style interfaces, it's HARD to put your patches in order for a show, and you may only get like 64 slots for USER patches. With the Casio you get a pretty big LCD display where you can organize your tens of patches you might need for a show (have them all named, ect).

Kenny, you're doing a better job of selling this board to me than anyone else! I am THIS close! Can anyone else chime in on the pros and cons of this Casio? Will I be able to push a button and play the sounds I need for Bye Bye Love by the Cars, as an example?

It appears this board has a Line In as well. Does that mean I can connect it with my Roland thus eliminating the need for a mixer?

Casio Pro - 61 keys and has some Hammond clone features.

Roland Gaia Pro - Sounds are available from AXIAL and other Gaia support groups just like the Casio. The stuff on Axial is nice. Better performance layout, the tap tempo is cool. The Gaia is great for modern pop. It was all over Lady Gaga's Monster Ball tour.

Personally I would rather have a Gaia. I would actually like to have one. I am playing current music. I would use for special effects, basses and leads. The tap tempo, the archetecture and layout is a lot more hip. It would have a place in my rig replacing my SH-101. The Casio wouldn't.

But if I was you I would probably want the Casio because it is more of a general purpose workhorse. It is even a quasi Hammond clone thing if you need one of those.

But if you get a Gaia I would get it from Sweetwater for the bonus bank. It has some cool patches you won't get anywhere else.

Nice Review.

Given the intended use, and user - I say Kenny is spot on. Go with the Casio (never ever thought I'd say that to anyone).

I'd still get a mixer though. Do it right the first time and get a mixer. You're a keyboard player now. Real keyboard players use a mixer to send their signal to the monitors and mains. Don't worry about how it all connects - people here will help you plug in all the wires. Speaking of wire, make sure you have the necessary instrument cables to get it all connected.

BTW, my new Gaia arrives tomorrow!

Have fun! - Jim

Kind of off topic so forgive me but:

Years ago I show up at an out of town gig, there's supposed to a B3 for me, and I get a Casio. I was a tad peeved, but after I covered up the "CASIO" on the front with duct tape, and wrote "HAMMOND" on it with a black marker I chilled out a bit and still had a good time.

I guess I've had a bit of a Casio attitude ever since...

I owned both CZ-1000 and CZ-1 synths back when they were current. I liked Phase Distrotion Synthesis a lot. It was versitile and could do things that sounded very FM like. But the Architecture made sense. Things were laid out like a real synth not like a DX-7. LOL! I never could program the DX.

Do you sit or stand? What is your cutoff.

My favorite is a K&M stand which gets kind of pricey.

For absolute ease of use and bang for the buck I like the Quick-Lok Monolith as long as you NEVER want to add a 3rd tier. If you sit the Monolith may or may not be too tall depends on your bench and your body type.

Regarding you link.... I hate X-stands. I want my rig to setup as easily as possible which means I mount my pedals in a pedal case. I flip the lid plug them in and they are ready to go and do not move. The X-stands do not have leg room and enough room for my pedals.

Hmmm the Monolith cost more than it used to. I have two of these and they have served me very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Quik-Lok-M-91-Monolith-Single-Tier-Keyboard/dp/B0002GNSTC

But my K&M is really nice and you can easily keep adding tiers. But it aint cheap.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2596450/1

Do you sit or stand? What is your cutoff.

My favorite is a K&M stand which gets kind of pricey.

For absolute ease of use and bang for the buck I like the Quick-Lok Monolith as long as you NEVER want to add a 3rd tier. If you sit the Monolith may or may not be too tall depends on your bench and your body type.

Regarding you link.... I hate X-stands. I want my rig to setup as easily as possible which means I mount my pedals in a pedal case. I flip the lid plug them in and they are ready to go and do not move. The X-stands do not have leg room and enough room for my pedals.

I stand.

The Ultimate Support would probably work well, I've never used one. For semi-permanent location, I use an OnStage 2-Tier Z Stand - very rugged, very little vibration, a little annoying to fold up. I own three of them, one with the OnStage carrying bag.

For lighter weight, now I almost always use my K&M stand, made from an 18880 lower and 18881 upper tier. All aircraft grade aluminum, the whole thing weighs about 8 pounds, folds up easily, sets up easily. Only thing I don't like in comparison is that I have the Z stand set for closer boards (I drilled a couple of holes to do this). As others have said, the K&M isn't cheap - but it is very well made and worth the $$.

PS - friends don't let friends buy X-stands. If you MUST use one, at least make a strap so that the whole mess doesn't crash to the floor if the pin breaks.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Kind of off topic so forgive me but:

Years ago I show up at an out of town gig, there's supposed to a B3 for me, and I get a Casio. I was a tad peeved, but after I covered up the "CASIO" on the front with duct tape, and wrote "HAMMOND" on it with a black marker I chilled out a bit and still had a good time.

I guess I've had a bit of a Casio attitude ever since...

Haha, that's almost exactly the same silly thing I did. Years back my main controller was a PC-88 MX, and I had to have it repaired and used my Casio WK-3500 instead for a little bit. I taped over the logo in the back (it was MIDIed to a Motif ES rack anyway). Maybe the uninformed assumed it was a Triton Studio. :thu: That XW-P1 sounds surprisingly decent from the reviews I've seen though.

"Jazz is the only music in which the same note can be played night after night but differently each time." Ornette Coleman

That's the one I'd recommend for standing. I rarely stand, so I usually use two of the heavy duty 'table stands'. But for standing, you won't find a better keyboard stand than the Ultimate Support ones. [Please do not buy an X stand!]

In regards to your other question: Yes, I believe that the line in will work in that case, but as a guy who's played keyboards for awhile, it's much more neat and tidy to have a mixer - even if you just get the $45 one I recommended.

And, in regards to your question about a certain sound... I'm not too familiar with "Bye Bye Love," but for a song everybody knows like "Just What I Needed," it would be very very easy to replicate it just using internal presets on the Casio. Keep in mind, the hard part isn't finding a sound that works, it's which of the many sounds will sound the best! And in the case that you can't find ANYTHING that sounds correct: you can talk to Mike Martin, and he can design a custom sound for you. Just look on the forum: there's a thread called "PX-5S Brass Shake", where someone requested a custom brass sound, and Mike was able to design something that sounded perfect. When you buy a new Casio, you get all the help from the best guy in the business.

I owned both CZ-1000 and CZ-1 synths back when they were current. I liked Phase Distrotion Synthesis a lot. It was versitile and could do things that sounded very FM like. But the Architecture made sense. Things were laid out like a real synth not like a DX-7. LOL! I never could program the DX.

CZ101 and VZ8M owner here, and have to agree 100%

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Bummer. I now want a GAIA. It would make my life easier right now. All my favorite retailers are out of stock.

Very timely! Was thinking I may need to pick up a dedicated synth soon, without breaking the bank. Good list to ponder...
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Bummer. I now want a GAIA. It would make my life easier right now. All my favorite retailers are out of stock.

Hey Ed, I've been dealing with this outfit for many years. In stock and payment plan available. AMS

:nopity:

Archived