Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what patch is used for Jesse's girl

Rockitman

I play keys in a band, very new at this, and we are trying to learn Rick Springfield's Jesse's Girl.

I am very bad at trying to pick out the correct sound that is being used, can anyone tell my what kind of patch the keyboard player is playing in this song?

I have a Roland RD700sx with the srx007 Ultimate Keys module, just wondering what I have that might closely match this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are also new to doing this song.. To me I hear two different sounds, and really you could use one (I tend to not try to get exact on patches...it's effort that (to me) could be better put to working on song dynamics, playing the part, harmonies etc)

sound 1 is an 80s synth/organ type of sound...you can hear it at the end prominently. It's not an organ I don't think but it has that quality.

sound 2 sounds like a regular synth brass, similar to Van Halen's Jump sound...that's mainly in that bridge section with the chords that answer the guitar

I really think you could find a happy medium with one patch, just a regular pad sound would be fine. But again I'm not picky and I know some people are lol :)

Edit: "synth brass" is much more what i meant than "saw pad", thanks to the post above mine :) However, I do it in reverse, synth brass for the bridge and organ-like sound for the rest. Again I don't think it matters...get those guitars and harmonies cooking and people will love it.

I've been playing that song for about a year and still don't feel too satisfied with the authenticity of the organ sound I'm using. The original recording has a very thin/analog character. I'm using a NS2 Hammond sound with even drawbars and it works ok. I use a big fat synth brass sound for the bridge and also use that a bit during other parts of the song. During the pre-chorus (when there are not really any keys) I follow the guitar part with a CP-70 sound and then I layer in the Hammond with the CP-70 for the chorus. During the bridge, I have a big layer that incorporates the CP-70 (hardly noticeable, but gives a nice girth), Hammond and synth brass. That's a really fun song.

Analog synth. The reason why some think it sounds organish is the sub osc. I used to get pretty close with my polysix and if I'm not mistaken, am using the polysix engine in my Kronos. Basically start with a saw with a square tuned down....I don't remember if it's 1 octave or 2. The rest is just tweaking the EG and filter to sound right. Use the end of the song for reference. Pretty straight forward.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Jesse's Girl is a fun tune.... The late 70's/early 80's was when I dove into synths - starting with a used OB-Xa and Prophet-600, then moving into rack stuff (MKS-70 and 80, plus TX modules, etc...). So creating layers is something I still have a great time doing.

When I learned the song for a cover band, back in Denver, I took my cues from the previous keyboard player - how his sounds and parts came across live. He used an MO6 Performance that included a 'Jumpish' synth Voice, another synth Voice that had a bright, Farfisa-like attack, and a basic, 80's bell/synth layer Voice (ala' D-50). That Performance worked well for the entire song. What I did was recreate a similar Performance in the keyboard I was using at the time - a Motif XF7; I then used the sliders to control the Voice volumes, depending on the song section (bringing out the 'Jump' tone a bit more on the bridge, etc..).

When I switched to a Jupiter 50 for that gig, I created a Live Set that has three Parts similar to the previously used Yamaha Voices. I tend to leave the punchy, brass synth tone up - even on the chorus; from listening to the act's previous keyboardist, I noticed that it kicks the song up a notch, live. Also, the 'D-50' bell-synth has a pretty strong presence in my Live Set; that sits a bit brighter than the organ sound used on the studio track.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

sound 1 is an 80s synth/organ type of sound...you can hear it at the end prominently. It's not an organ I don't think but it has that quality.

sound 2 sounds like a regular synth brass, similar to Van Halen's Jump sound...that's mainly in that bridge section with the chords that answer the guitar

That's the way I hear it, and I too, focused on the very end of the song where you can hear that synth/organ part better. I ended up using a Vox Continental organ patch on my Nord Stage with a flanger effect.

For the "Jump" sound, there is a patch in my Korg TR-Rack called "Analog Power" which works nicely.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived