Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hmmm, Christian dentistry cruise gigs anyone?

Jazz+

Hmmm, Christian dentistry cruise gigs anyone?

"Hello my name is Alicia I'm calling from Precious entertainment with musicians agency based in Montreal Canada that specializes in christian(?) dentistry and I was wondering if either you or anyone you know maybe interested in crew ship employment. I know you're busy and you can quite a lot of work we're always looking for qualified musicians if there's anyone you can recommend perhaps any also if you have any students doing that be great. The number is 18888820996 my extension is two three five you can also try 5144858823 extension two three five. Thanks a lot. Bye."

( real message...transcript from a phone robot, so not exactly sure about the nature of the cruises)

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christian = cruise ship

Crew ship = cruise ship

But I haven't figured out what "dentistry" really is.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Christian = cruise ship

Crew ship = cruise ship

any chance she had a heavy French accent? Being based in Montreal, some (all?) of this could be a translation issue.

:nopity:

The results from those programs that transcribe your voice mail can be pretty wild, even with a native American English speaker.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Christian = cruise ship

Crew ship = cruise ship

any chance she had a heavy French accent? Being based in Montreal, some (all?) of this could be a translation issue.

"Precious Entertainment" is actually "Proship Entertainmet".. they are an agency that places musicians on cruise ships.

Christian dentistry = cruise ship industry.

BTW: "Christian dentistry" is a real thing...which is maybe why it was in the transcript program's list of phrases.

http://www.christiandental.org/

Wow Scott, I'm blown awayw by your translation skills! Very impressive.

Kudos.

SSM

It just took a little background knowledge and a little detective work:

I knew about Pro Ship from when I was briefly considering running away and becoming a cruise ship lounge lizard a few years back. Armed with that information, I just scanned their site for a word like "dentistry" and "industry" jumped out.

Using those same detective skills, I also figured how who the Haunted Mine Monster was...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/25iotj8.jpg

What does the gig pay?

For a show band, house band or roaming musicians:

Around $2,000 per month. :(

The good: Food is free, alcohol is cheap, available women are plentiful (crew only, passengers are off limits). :)

The bad: Shared and cramped living quarters, lots of rules, need to pass all sorts of safety tests.

The ugly: Depending on the ship and role, working conditions and schedule could be unbearable. Long contract.

Now the piano bar job is much better. Usually much better pay, often your own room and a better schedule. All the other rules and safety training, drills, etc. apply.

It is probably not too bad for a young person who wants to "see the world" - if you don't have a mortgage / rent, car payment and family back home you need to send money back for, you can save up a lot of money after just a few contracts.

Ok, now this makes sense: "Pro Ship...". They used to call me back in the mid-late 90's. At that time, student rosters and gigs were fairly robust, so staying in town made more sense. Nowadays, it's a bit more tempting. With a few adjustments at home, playing in one of the bands could be a feasible gig. We'll see what the coming year brings; depends on my caregiver situation, plus how local work pans out - I've been searching, and hitting the pavement like a fiend.

Meanwhile... In gig searches, I see Holland America advertising for musicians quite a bit. I wonder what they're like to work for ?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

All the mass-market cruise lines are pretty much the same as far as work goes. Holland tends generally have older passengers. Carnival and Royal Carib tend to be younger. If you are lucky enough to land a job with a luxury cruise line like Crystal or Seabourn, life (and pay) tend to be much better.

This site is very useful for details about life as a cruise ship musician. Also check out the other areas for some good general working musician tips: http://www.musicianwages.com/c/active-musician-income/cruise-ship-musician/start-here/

Christian dentists - we forgive you if you bite us.

Ha ha. When I read the title, I thought, maybe the patients are supposed to forgive the dentist for the painful drilling... :D

Christian = cruise ship

Crew ship = cruise ship

"Christian dentistry" = Cruise ship Industry?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Using those same detective skills, I also figured how who the Haunted Mine Monster was...

http://oi60.tinypic.com/25iotj8.jpg

Joe Muscarooroo is going to LOVE this. :laugh::thu:

ITGITC? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

LOL Christian Dentistry.. People go out of their way to get a dentist that practices their religion??

Had to search in Google to see if that was a real thing. It is real they have a website by that title.. Don't look it up it has pretty gross pictures.

Archived