Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why Americans Don't Like Jazz

Jazz+

Do you know what convinces me of the naiveté of joe public... musicians I have worked with.

I look at even comedians then and now. Huge difference between the whole conception of what HUMOR IS.

One must have his head on straight in order to succeed in any undertaking. He must keep his pet ideas carefully in check, paying attention to what works with his public, and why.

Past comics, made fun of themselves, todays, attack our govt, and rich people.. basically are political, and leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

These two points do not convince me that music, culture and comedy are going to hell.

This only tells me that you need to get out and meet some cooler musicians and check out some better comedy acts. :P

There are many, many, great young musicians out there who *do* appreciate what came before. And there are many, many outstanding comedy acts out there (a few of them are even musicians, like Tim Minchin). The fact that you personally have not encountered them does not mean they don't exist. It just means that you've (sadly) missed them.

The good news is that it's now easier than ever before to remedy this. We have the interwebs!

Come visit me in Boston sometime and I'll introduce you to dozens of young cats who know more about jazz than many on this forum and we'll laugh our asses off for hours with some stellar *new* comedians.

Drinks and snacks are my treat. :)

Ricky Gervais, Louis CK , Bill Burr, funny guys

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, Diana Krall on TV is not exactly proof that jazz in general is popular.

Understood and agreed.

The point I was trying to make: all is not lost, the end is not nigh, and many of today's young people are quite smart and hungry to learn about the arts past and present.

I'm afraid that the rants about "things being better in the 1950s" or about today's pop culture being mindless, or about today's musicians being clueless strike me with head-exploding irony. At least a few of the posters here must have been long-haired types in the 60s/70s playing what older folks called "that rock and roll noise".

Certain areas of the arts are advancing way beyond where they were 40-50 or even 20 years ago. Look at film. The quality of the average box office film is way up and so is the number of indie films that reach comparatively wide audiences. (And the music in many of those indie films is awesome and varied as well!)

Musicals are getting better - look at shows like Matilda and Book of Mormon; both showcase quality music and humor with a broad appeal. (Theater was already improving in the 90s with acts like Blue Man Group and in the 2000's with shows like The Producers.)

Today's pop radio has bands like Mumford and Songs playing Top 10 hits with acoustic instruments and real vocal harmonies without pitch assistance. Hell we have mandolins on top 40 radio *and* a freakin' tuba on late night TV (The Roots)!

I repeat: do not despair, all is not lost. :)

Of course I acknowledge that today's art still might not meet the high standards set by gems like this from "the good old days". :P

[video:youtube]

Now THAT's comedy.. We drink from the same cup.. lol

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Hip hop has already retreated:

http://musicandcopyright.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/genre-sales-2009-and-2010.jpg

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Yeah, as I said earlier this chart if accurate blows me away. Hip hop is the same rank as classical? Amazing. But keep in mind this is global. I would like to see the US numbers, I suspect hip hop is much more popular here and classical is probably lower.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

According to the link below, for 2012, "Country" was the most popular music genre in the USA:

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/the-npd-group-country-music-rises-to-become-americas-favorite-genre-in-2012/

As you can see in the link, Country slightly edged out Classic Rock in the USA. Rap / Hip Hop was actually surprisingly far down the list.

Given the current trend of blending of musical genres by big record company producers to max sales out across different demographics, I'm not sure what all of this means anyway.

In this context, IMO contemporary "Country" is nothing more that warmed-over regurgitated Classic Rock and Pop with twang.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

According to the link below, for 2012, "Country" was the most popular music genre in the USA:

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/the-npd-group-country-music-rises-to-become-americas-favorite-genre-in-2012/

As you can see in the link, Country slightly edged out Classic Rock in the USA. Rap / Hip Hop was actually surprisingly far down the list.

Given the current trend of blending of musical genres by big record company producers to max sales out across different demographics, I'm not sure what all of this means anyway.

In this context, IMO contemporary "Country" is nothing more that warmed-over regurgitated Classic Rock and Pop with twang.

Sorry, I don't buy it. It doesn't even sound like a scientific survey. "Information in this press release is derived from NPDs Annual Music Study 2012, which is based on online surveys completed by 5,406 individuals."

Busch.

Sorry, I don't buy it. It doesn't even sound like a scientific survey. "Information in this press release is derived from NPDs Annual Music Study 2012, which is based on online surveys completed by 5,406 individuals."

Busch.

Actually when you look at the subdivisions they just diluted rock and to a less extent pop. In terms of major genre groupings, classic rock, alternative, hard rock, metal, soft rock would all be classified as ROCK, hence they would be much larger than country. Also, how is OLDIES (50s to 70s) that different than CLASSIC ROCK (60s to 80s)? I would think there's a tremendous amount of cross-over. Is "Light My Fire" an oldie or classic rock? Depends on how the individual classifies it.

Busch.

Does popularity = sales???

Good question. For what it's worth here is some album sales data for 2012:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

In this link, "Rock" wins. Again, "Rap" is surpisingly low.

However, as pointed out earlier, how one defines the music genres / categories can definitely skew the statistics about sales and popularity. This is why I'm not a big fan of debates about genres of music, because many of the genres can not precisely defined nor they should be.

At the end of the day for me, as Duke Ellington famously said:

"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind"

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

And there are two kinds of productions and reproduction equipment, too. I (if I'd have money for it) be very strongly motivated to pay anything reasonable for quality music sources, preferably issued by the relevant (I mean first grade) artists themselves, and without that they have been somehow blackmailed to adapt to certain standards.

Of course it is easy to stay away from such discussion, but I am one who doesn't like it to compare all the good records, tapes and radio I am used to with the broken-processed excuses for a production people are to take for the art works of the best artists (and others, too, of course).

I am sure this holds very much for Jazz, from dolby errors all in the production process to little mofos presuming their attic with some newly devised "monitors" is where the fate of how all kinds of great recordings are to sound is to be determined, without being hindered by any digital processing scruples or musical refinement, or even being bothered by such elated subjects as High Fidelity (the word alone...).

So make the sound good, kick out the obvious opportunist musicians (in the sense of working on some plot rather than decent art), and let the Jazz renew itself. Maybe people don't deserve that, but I think it's possible.

T.

Does popularity = sales???

Good question. For what it's worth here is some album sales data for 2012:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/188910/us-music-album-sales-by-genre-2010/

In this link, "Rock" wins. Again, "Rap" is surpisingly low.

However, as pointed out earlier, how one defines the music genres / categories can definitely skew the statistics about sales and popularity. This is why I'm not a big fan of debates about genres of music, because many of the genres can not precisely defined nor they should be.

At the end of the day for me, as Duke Ellington famously said:

"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind"

Remember that's album sales. Singles will show pop as the top genre. Digital downloads are yet another measure. How about streaming music revenue? Live concerts. RIAA data is not the full story.

When you look at rock in the USA it's ~ 30%. Globally it's more like 25% so that means in the non-USA market rock is ~20%. It's a far cry from the dominance of the 1970s. My takeaway is that everything is just a genre. The 1930s-1940s when jazz dominated are gone just as the 1970s-1980s when rock dominated. Now it's too many genres and sub-genres for any one to dominate. People listen to what they want, not what a few A&R people think they should listen to. That's good, IMO.

Busch.

Archived