Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Nord Piano sample is this?

Jazz+

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From someone like myself who has been unhappy with my Nord Piano 2, I'll be the first to say that it sounds great. I guess I should of bought a Fender Twin and ran mono :) or learned how to play as well as Kris, who I've been following ever since he won the Monk competition. That year had a lot of really exceptional players.

I love watching the Nord promo video when the announcer is boasting about each grands strengths, but clearly even the trained ear wouldn't really know what grand the sample came from cause, as good as DP's sound, they still are not in the ballpark of real acoustic grands. Obviously, the VST's like the Vintage D are a lot closer.

One of the many issues I have with the Nord is the samples or keyboard doesn't allow for very soft light playing and I noticed it here on Skylark. I'll have to say also the high end sounded much better here than anything I could get at my home with either my amps or headphones.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I don't hear more than slightly annoying samples, "Piano" has little to do with it, and if Monk played like that I surely never would have bought a CD of it. Of course opinions vary, and there isn't any keyboard or software (besides a well amped V-Piano) that can sound close to working piano sound at the level I mean, but it's interesting this might be not-a-standard sample or cannot easily be recognized..

At least it's music, and it sounds even, with some "aha" effects in the (probably always the same) high note runs, that give a bit of a real piano feel.

T

It is in stereo on my computer sound system. We are not hearing a Twin Reverb.

I don't hear that. It sounds straight up to me. Also notice he's only running one cable, channel one out. The purple cable coming out of the Nord goes into a DI/splitter that goes to the amp and also house/console for recording.

I like the sound of the AP especially considering it's mono.

I don't think I'll ever be a fan of the Nord Rhodes, at least in their current flavors. The odd thing is they sound very jumpy, but in reality the have 9, 10, 11 velocity layers and they're done very nicely. I think the problem is extremely limited control you have over the touch response curve, so you can't dial it back. I've heard them played very delicately and they sounded much better, but when you play them with a normal touch or harder you get all these splats and snaps, the sound a Rhodes makes when hit it at the absolute extremes. I just can't get past it.

As far as I'm concerned, incorporating some sophisticated touch response parameters, configurable at the PATCH level, should be Nord's top concern.

Busch.

"As far as I'm concerned, incorporating some sophisticated touch response parameters, configurable at the PATCH level, should be Nord's top concern."

Strongly agree.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Kris sounds great of course. Too bad they couldn't have had at least a piano on the level of a Yamaha C3 or something comparable for him.

But in any case the Fatar/Stage action doesn't seem to bother him in the least. Not sure which sample this is, but as usual it sounds very realistic (for what it is-an electronic keyboard) ,which is a Nord trademark.. I'm sure we aren't hearing the Twin reverb sound...probably a house mix from the DI.

Had my NP2 set up in the studio today and was futzing around on it...which is a rare thing indeed..

For jazz I'm connecting less and less with it these days. After over 2.5 years _ I think I'm ready for a change.

For rock, pop, r&b , blues..I think it's great. Very present, in your face, clear as a bell. I wish it didn't sound so good out front..it would be easier to let go of.. :laugh:

I'm looking very much foward to taking delivery of my CP4 next week and seeing how that pans out. I'm fairly certain I'll feel more at home on it then the Nord.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Archived